Advice needed on stuck pump impeller

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SHoward

Mar 14, 2014
Dadeville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm beginning to think some one used some lock tite on it. I know Acetone will break down some types of lock tite but not others. I think Reed is correct, heat is about the only option but I would put the heat on the impeller not the engine shaft, otherwise you may end up melting the crankcase seal.

If you have a good small engine shop in your area, you may want to let them take a shot at it.

OP
OP
N

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Still no luck getting it off of there. I dont really like putting a torch to it, its an old Keene pump with a black plastic back plate. The housing and impeller are aluminum but the backside that bolts to the engine is black plastic. Yesterday I picked up an old Gold Divers 1556 pump, i dont really know much did I buy a lemon?

image.jpeg

image (23).jpeg

image (22).jpeg

image3.jpeg

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG that black marlex hasn't been used in 30+ years wow. ALSO back in them days some of the impellers were held on with a set screw!!! Get a flashlight and slowly rotate that pump as you look in the belt slots in the mounting bracket and you just might find that set screw setup.....Some of the oldies also had a spacer to set the distance inside of the impeller to the wall of the pump and black insert that holds the footvalve on the intake side... KEEP FLAME AWAY FROM THAT PLASTIC :icon_scratch: John

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still that impeller looks like it's in great shape. You can buy a new back plate and will probably need to anyway because the old marlex back plated warped over time and wouldn't seal tight anymore. Plus the old style gasket was a pain but it did work just fine. You can caulk them but a new aluminum back plate with the o'ring is pretty cheap if you can get that thing to come off. Personally I would verify what pump that is and then make sure that you can get a back plate and then burn it off - just because I don't give up :evil6:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SHoward

Mar 14, 2014
Dadeville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've all been had !!!! Take a closer look at the Impeller.... That's a bolt in there !! It's a keyed shaft with a bolt that screws into the shaft... Put an impact on that bolt and it will spin out quick. The impeller will then slide off the shaft, you may need a flat pry bar to help it along.
Didn't see that the first time I saw the pic, but that explains why it's been so stubborn about screwing off!

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've all been had !!!! Take a closer look at the Impeller.... That's a bolt in there !! It's a keyed shaft with a bolt that screws into the shaft... Put an impact on that bolt and it will spin out quick. The impeller will then slide off the shaft, you may need a flat pry bar to help it along.
Didn't see that the first time I saw the pic, but that explains why it's been so stubborn about screwing off!

Look's like the head of the bolt was broken off long ago being that the bolt and housing are all rusted together. So... Now that SHoward looked closer at the pic that we all got after the fact... Did the impeller pull off or do you need to buy a puller?

SHoward

Mar 14, 2014
Dadeville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know Reed, Looks like the bolt is still there, but even with my glasses on I still can't see it very good. I tried blowing the pic up but the quality went downhill the bigger I made it. Either way it's rusted pretty good, even I can see the rust stains on the impeller ! So you're probably right about using a puller...I think I would use the bearing splitter type verses the finger type though, if it's stuck on the shaft hard the finger type could damage the impeller.
Lots of Kroil or PB blast and it should spin out with a short bump from an impact gun.

Last edited:

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
Watch out on the impact. Seen broken crankshafts because of that and on pressed together 2 cycle cranks they throw the crank out of balance.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread