gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure you will get a hundred opinions on this question. My favorite is the Stavr Evroexcavator 2.2. It is fairly light in weight compared to others but very rugged. They come without handles which you can get at hardware stores or online. I used a fiberglass post hole digger handle on mine. Light but strong. Google Stavro Scoops for more info.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ENTHUSIAST - Whatever you decide - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever you do don't buy the "Indiana" scoops on EBay. They look great in pics and reviews, but mine bent pretty badly while using for first time! The best part is it would only cost $297 to ship it back to Europe. Had to reinforce it myself to make it usable.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Attachments

• image-3151664818.jpg
    image-3151664818.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 123
  • image-2171319101.jpg
    image-2171319101.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 142
  • image-4260303751.jpg
    image-4260303751.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the T-Rex is a great scoop and very strong and a good price, look up the T- Rex heres some pictures of the wet scoop. DSC00457.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot depends on where you plan to use it. If you are in dry sand, a aluminum scoop will do fine. If you are in rocky / gravel sand, you will need either a stainless scoop or stainless tip. If you are in deep surf, a full stainless has the weight to stay in place through some wave action, but can get heavy to carry on the beach. If you want something for air travel, consider a full size travel scoop. We carry mostly Reilly Treasure Gold Scoops and have had good luck with them. The TRex and other similar scoops are very nice also.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Fletch
I got probably 2000 hours on a similar scoop with same type of wood handle. However the handle attachment to the basket is slightly different. Keep in mind I purchased that scoop in the mid 1990's and beat the crap out of it with no problems. I will take a picture of it tomorrow morning. Worst issue I had was getting blisters on my hand sliding it up and down.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch
I got probably 2000 hours on a similar scoop with same type of wood handle. However the handle attachment to the basket is slightly different. Keep in mind I purchased that scoop in the mid 1990's and beat the crap out of it with no problems. I will take a picture of it tomorrow morning. Worst issue I had was getting blisters on my hand sliding it up and down.

Yes, that's what I thought when I purchased scoop. As a former machinist with 28 years under my belt, I thought the design/build was superb. I know your asking why didn't you just build your own? I've built many projects and work many hours of OT currently in 90 deg + heat. I just didn't want to have to build anymore tools at this point. I've reinforced it now and believe it will work better.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Well you will like the basket compared to those round aluminum scopes. It's a little heavy but won't break with wet sand in the surf.

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever you do don't buy the "Indiana" scoops on EBay. They look great in pics and reviews, but mine bent pretty badly while using for first time! The best part is it would only cost $297 to ship it back to Europe. Had to reinforce it myself to make it usable.

ouch!not good, Ive been using an RTG aluminum 2 piece travel type "clone" but has a stainless lip riveted to the blade, been able to a lot of ft lbs of leverage on digging with no problem, just wish it had the pointed stainless tip like the 720i

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the Stealth 720. I laughed when I first saw it. A beast. But now I can carry it for hours, no problem. I have the T-rex sand scoop, but it just doesn't take a big enough bite. Getting a wicked callous!

Chuck-N-Detroit

Oct 18, 2010
Warren, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, Equinox and Deus
Primary Interest:
These knock offs come and go

When I originally saw this scoop I laughed :laughing7:

Over the last 25 years they have come and gone. Jump on the band wagon to make a fortune in scoops :BangHead:

I had thought of posting what I thought would fail when this scoop first arrived on the scene, but it would have looked like sour grapes. This was the most blatant knock off that I have ever seen. I just sit back and wait. Some times we learn the hard way. How is their warranty?

Chuck

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow Fletch! .. You know, .. I'm going to be in the market for a new scoop after the first of the year, and I had thought seriously about one of these "Indiana Scoops" but now I am definately not going to shell out the bucks for that. Sorry you got ripped off pal, I guess it's either going to be a Stavr or a Stealth for me.

I had thought about a T Rex but they just don't seem to grab as big of a pile of sand as my old RTG does, and I want something with at least as much capacity as it has and good Lord the RTG has been a tough one too. I'm just tired of the round bucket, and the 5/8" holes, I like the actual shovel (spade) design of the Stavr's and the Stealth's. Although I heard that the Stealth's are a bit on the heavy side, and a replacement handle can't be bought locally at Home Depot or Lowes, only from Stealth. That's a small downside, but I do like the looks of the Stealth...We'll see in a couple of months.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going with the Stavr Monstrik 9. I like the pointed tip. I'm using a SS tipped RTG now that I like pretty well, especially the weight. Also, I like the smaller diameter of the handle that fits the Stavr over the wooden handle style scoops.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread