Museum of the American Revolution a must see - Philadelphia

tuanbuffalo

Mar 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been fortunate to see most of the major museums with colonial and Revolutionary War items in them over the years. Last year the Museum of the American Revolution opened in Philadelphia, a stone's throw from Independence Hall. Today I got to visit it.

Here's the scoop: If you get the chance, go there. It was amazing. It's a huge building and the museum itself cleverly wraps itself around halls, bends and exhibits and the self guided tour ends in an approximate 100 seat modern auditorium when we get to see..

But first, a word from our sponsors...I'll save the best for last. The mix of modern multimedia, well and lesser known pieces of art work, cannon, a ship, artifacts, muskets, pistols, George Washington's sword, mannequins of such high quality in small vignettes you thought they were set in the film "Night at the Museum". They had tributes to African Americans and Native Americans who fought with the Continentals. They didn't miss anything.

I was impressed with the pair of life sized mannequins, fully outfitted, from Tarleton's Legion, on their horses. Now that's something you don't see inside every day.

And ...as stated above and now finished, the self guided tour ends in an approximate 100 seat modern auditorium where we got to see General Washington's campaign tent, the one he used throughout the entire war. According to history, it was in the custody of Mary Custis Lee, Robert E. Lee's daughter, and was at their plantation at Arlington at the time of the Civil War, it had to be sold at the turn of the 20th century. And the way they unveiled it was phenomenal, complete with a history.

It also meant a lot to me as George Washington would have been a 1st cousin, about 10 generations removed, or something like that. His Grandaddy bought the farm from my grandaddy and we share a common ancestor. I have it written down, but to think this was your cousin's tent and he was commander in chief was a little unreal.

It is a must see.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the information! I would love to tour the museum and exhibits if I ever get the time and money as my' 5th Great Grandfather (Francis Winstead) on my Grandmother's (my Dad's Mother) side was a Minuteman and First Sergeant in the Revolutionary War. From research, it appears that my 5th Great Grandfather (John Ferrell) on my Grandfather's (my Dad's Father) side was also a Minuteman and First Sergeant in the Revolutionary War as well. It has been a task in determining whether this John Ferrell is my' direct ancestor since so many records were destroyed during the Civil War and we still don't know for sure. However, there were several John Ferrells that were Minutemen and pretty much all of the Ferrells and O'Farrells are kin. We have not gotten around to really diving into the geneaology on my Mom's side but I am sure there will be some interesting kin on that side as well.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread