Advice on Gold hunting when it comes to any kind of possible dangers. Experiences?

Oye

Greenie
Apr 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Pitfalls of life Literally

Oye,
Typical stuff for anywhere on the Planet:

Getting lost and staying lost. Getting is not as bad if you can unlost yourself.
Heat Exhaustion
Lack of water
Walking along and just falling down especially onto rocks or into a depression:broken leg, ribs, fingers, head, etc.
Carry first aid supplies for your area! Also, sprained ankle. Use a walking stick
Unkind plants
Unkind animals
Wear a large brimmed hat for lots of shade from the sun
Wear the proper clothing for your area and time of year. Usually loose fitting comfortable is a lot better then tight.
Wear good supportive shoes/boots
Be in shape, strong and physically fit, before ever going out into the back country
Understand where you are going on any given trip. Type of country, animals and the anticipated weather conditions.

In other words research so you know what generally to expect and be prepared for the unexpected, undesirable experiences even then weird stuff can still happen, your glasses fall apart or while swinging a pick to remove parts of the ground a rock particle goes into your eye..........................63bkpkr

Last edited:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About not getting lost - In Nevada we have areas that are close to Australian outback. While rockhounding I might be gone from vehicle for ten hours. I
eventually learned to pay attention to direction changes and changes in alititude. "checking your back trail" is very important too. That is, turn around and
study how the terrain will look on the way back and I've even placed some stones as markers to help when in gulleys or washes that all look the same. (when
rockhounding or MDing, footprints that meander can be confusing). Keeping a mental log like "ok, i've passed three small hills and i'm bearing to the right to get over that saddle up ahead". When heading back to vehicle, tired and facing a two-hour hike, its very comforting to know absolutely the way back. Hope this helps. Good Luck

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OYE-Partner up for safety as the simpliest accidents can turn into deadly situations when alone. Pack a gun always and keep your gloryhole to yourself-hope ya have a ball-John

medic7a

Apr 30, 2013
Placerville, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Remember almost every animal, reptile, and bug in australia can and wants to kill you. Do your homework on the area you are prospecting. Make sure someone knows where you are going and when you expect to return and when to send out a search party. Bring water and more water and drink it.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Pay most attention to what you can barely see when youre standing and or pay any attention to.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oye: Good advice above (all of it), and while I've never spent any time in
the Outback of Australia, like others I've spent considerable time hanging
about some of the most remote desert areas in N. America, and if you're
deep in the bush in the US or Down Under, it really doesn't matter much
if the closest town or outpost is 80 mi. or 200 mi, as either way you can
get into serious trouble if not paying attention.

EXTRA water is an absolute must. if there's 2 people going out for 2 days,
I would bring a minimum of 1 gal. per person, per day, plus another 2-3
gal. just in case it's needed.

As mentioned, everything out there either bites, sticks, stings or scratches,
so be sure to have a decent medical kit along. Bug bites, scratches
and scrapes are the most common stuff, but a blown out ankle or broken
bone requires a bit more than a bottle of antiseptic and a couple aspirin.

When it comes to hiking away from the vehicle/camp area, I've developed
my own, highly un-scientific method for A) not getting lost, and B) knowing
how to get back to my truck/camp anywhere from 1-5 miles away. Having a
disability that can cause issues at times (tendency to tip over), and by using
this same method every time I venture out anyone can easily trail/find me if
needed. I enjoy the tranquility of detecting alone out in the wilds, and can't
stand to have a "chaperone" tagging along "just in case".

It's real easy, as you simply do what I call "road loops". Drive slowly down the road
several miles ahead before you begin detecting, and take notice of the geography
on both sides of the road. After you stop, get out and have good look around, then
turn around and drive back to where you wish to begin, again taking note of the terrain.

On the [very poorly drawn] map below, you can see at the bottom of the page
where the green stripe crosses the black road. That is the "Start", or where
you will be parking your vehicle. Before you leave the car, take a compass reading
of the direction the road goes, and also of the direction/angle you are
heading off at. If the road heads North, then I'll start by going to the West side
first, and walk somewhat of a "loop", as I know I can always turn to the East
and find the main road. When I turned around during my survey of the basic
terrain I picked out a landmark on the West side, and while hiking I'll be looking
for that marker, or, after enough searching I just "take a left", and head East
back to the main road, and an easy walk back to the truck.

Next trip I'll go to the East side of the road, and make a loop again heading
North/NW. I can head West at any point and again find the main road. Since
I never get more than a mile from a main trail/road, the wife always knows that
I'm somewhere along that looping trail to one side or the other, and no further
than a mile or two from my truck at any time.

map.JPG

This method won't get you too far from a main trail, but so long as you have
a compass (or can navigate by Sun/Moon or stars) you'll always know how to
find your way back.

Last edited:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All, No offence but i think you all under-estimate the changing diversity of the environment. heres a few pics of the local goldfeilds in my area which about 30 miles in any given direction.

TINPAN

Attachments

• 100_2471.jpg
    100_2471.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 100_2061.jpg
    100_2061.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 100_1893.jpg
    100_1893.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 100_2239.jpg
    100_2239.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 100_2236.jpg
    100_2236.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 100_2627.jpg
    100_2627.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 100_2562.jpg
    100_2562.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 94
  • 100_2404.jpg
    100_2404.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 107
  • 100_2223.jpg
    100_2223.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 102

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more

Attachments

• 100_2705.jpg
    100_2705.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 100_2699.jpg
    100_2699.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 100_2696.jpg
    100_2696.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 97
  • 100_2729.jpg
    100_2729.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 100_2561.jpg
    100_2561.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 98

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ,My Advice is always go with a partner and hunting gold is like painting a tennis court with a inch brush not how much ground you cover. Most deadly things in Australia are more afraid of you . Mostly are harmless if left alone. Look before you tread . VLF mds are useless in Australia . Minelab GPX range is the only way. Carry only what you need as burden of load will ware you out in the warmer conditions. Stay within a mile of your truck . Think clearly and stay calm. "Mind Set" is every thing. Buy a Emergency Position Locator. Get into real trouble push the button and HELP will be there before you know it.

tinpan

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yikes!

Adding 1 more ...

Quicksand.

Google "How to get out of quicksand in 9 steps".

[Not 9 foot-steps, either]. :laughing7:

I like the first step: Avoid the stuff.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tinpan, thank you so much for the look see at your "playground"! Much more diverse than any movie about Australia I've ever seen. What about Crocs or Gators?

I'm used to the outback here in California, been out in it since 1963. One summer up a side canyon I came across a group of snakes I'd never encountered in the area or elsewhere ever. I've thought about that encounter many times especially when back in that side canyon, the snakes are gone. It makes me wonder if someone planted them as it seems they did not survive.

Looking at your photos I see a diverse array of country that would consume a person in a very short time! I also carry with me a SPOT Messenger system and I know from experience that it works. It seems expensive until you need it the first time especially if you know you Must depress the 911 button. The chopper was hovering over me 3 hours after the 911 button was activated. At that moment I understood that the cost of the unit and the service was Cheap Indeed. I glad to be alive to tell about it.

Thank you for you enlightening post!............................63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with 63B on thisn' as usual,them toothy critters do dull my goldfever a little bit--well a lot now as 1 close call in a lifetime is more than enough. Mountain lions,bears,badgers,skunks and rattlers are doable BUT them crocs/caymen a bit much as tooooo old to run that fast anymore-John--LOVE THE PICS TP!!!!

Attachments

• 100_0180.jpg
    100_0180.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 93

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ,My Advice is always go with a partner and hunting gold is like painting a tennis court with a inch brush not how much ground you cover. Most deadly things in Australia are more afraid of you . Mostly are harmless if left alone. Look before you tread . VLF mds are useless in Australia . Minelab GPX range is the only way. Carry only what you need as burden of load will ware you out in the warmer conditions. Stay within a mile of your truck . Think clearly and stay calm. "Mind Set" is every thing. Buy a Emergency Position Locator. Get into real trouble push the button and HELP will be there before you know it.

tinpan

Hello tinpan - care to share any lost/nearly lost experiences. P.S. the pics of "the bush" have some large bushes. lol

Last edited:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All ,To answer the question , I don,t get lost as i live right in the middle of the second largest gold feild in Australia . Mining towns and larger rural cities are scattered all over the place. My gold hunting sites are as close as 6 minutes to 150 miles away. Not to say i can drive to the local back gully 10 minutes away and not see another person all day. The state forests and goldhunting areas are vast . Sure if you didn,t know the area you could get lost . Funny how a few see hunting gold in Australia means you have to go out 1000 miles to the never , never to find good gold. Total misconception. The only exception to this fact is the two gold feilds in Western Australia. Plenty of cheap stays and good food to be had without spending needless amounts of money . Most country Towns even let tourists camp in the local showgrounds for free. Or state parks have areas with basic amenities for campers. Costly gold tours can be avoided . I would take a country hotel with bed breakfast , hot shower and public bar . Book a week and get the it for cheaper. The gold feilds in just about every state of Australia and any are worth a go. remember though gold has been mined in these locations on and off for 151 years so good finds is hard work. The temperature in the different seasons is vast . It can get really cold and exposure applies to both heat and cold. In the heat of summer there are many restrictions on camp fires and during the winter some forest roads are closed . basic Miners Right is all that is required . This allows you to take any mineral tax free from state or national land. Some areas are closed to prospecting for other reasons. Check with local parks for maps. The public land is for all to use and this includes 4x4 , motorbikes and nature groups [:laughing9:] . There have been no small claim gold operations in this part of Australia for 25 years . So you can hunt where you like. You still need to get permission to hunt private land. Small claims use to have rules and conditions but no-one complied and they gave a few a lot and everyone else little so out the door they went. Most large mining claims are held on most land but have been inactive for a very long time and the interest was on deep hard rock mines so theres no problem with being on a Claim with a Metal Detector. Still a few large mines operating but they are clearly fenced off. Sorry crocs only found in the far Northern area of Australia and i don,t think any are found near gold feilds. LOL Yes plenty of bugs and insects that will give you a nasty reminder but the snakes you don,t see are the ones to watch. Remember all wildlife is wild that includes roos so just be careful . A gun is the least of the worries and tourists from other countries cannot have one while in Australia. Stay away from old shafts and mines as there are 1000's of them. Plenty of ground to pick and pan . So have fun.

tinpan

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Oye

Greenie
Apr 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay thanks a lot for advice guys. Btw I think there is a good self-defense weapon against anything from wild dangerous animals to burglars.
At least if you dont want to injure somebody or worse. (I mean if you carry guns or closecombat weapons/tools)

Haha paintball might be good. But closecombat with burglars can risk the health of both parts, tazer guns are illegal and can in worst case kill somebody with a weak heart or at least its extremely painful.

There are lots of equipment, but Im gonna buy something completely non-lethal and it doesnt even injure at all unless they never get out of it.

There are shooting net guns and they can have a range of up to 12 meters with a pretty large net that catch and subdues anybody who is hit. Of course if they have a gun youre in trouble. But except from that you will minimize chance of getting into fight and nobody will get hurt. I actually consider bearing one "gun/rifle" that shoots net and two small net shooting pistols since it takes time to recharge the first one. If two or "oh ****" four burglars come after you, you first shot one net and catch two. Then the last two come too and you pull up your two pistols very quick and catch them.

Maybe that scenarios sounds a little "unrealistic" but unless they have guns you can actually protect yourself and even if 4 burglars wanna rob you there is a chance nobody gets hurt.

And when theyre shot you lay down a sharp stone 8 meters away tell them to reach it to cut loose themselves which may take them 10 minutes and then youre gone away.

Another cool thing is a bug zapper. If you have 100 fu**ing flies or mosqiutos after you then use the zapper fully charged, hit it and they are zapped away with electricity.
A net that covers your head from insects is good, but you can also just make them vanish with this one:
Amazon.com: The Executioner PRO Fly Swat Wasp Bug Mosquito Swatter Zapper: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Or this one, powerful stuff...

http://www.amazon.com/WARRIOR-SUPREME-MOSQUITO-ZAPPER-HIGHEST/dp/B008WTO8KY/ref=pd_sim_lg_19

Just wanted to share it. Another nice thing for transport that is cheap and effective is electric bikes if you dont wanna buy a little expensive car plus for fuel, maybe insurance etc.

But the bike just cost for the bike and only a tiny increase in electric bills. The best bikes can actually go up to maybe 200 mile with light pedal assist while the small electric motor will do maybe 50% of the work... The standard speed is around 30. You get cheap transport AND excellent exercise that keeps your mind sharp for gold hunting!!

Last edited:

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The area I detect in is more jungle than anything else.. That's why I tend towards hunting dry streams etc...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread