Best Gold detectors for nuggets, up to 1000$ maximum

Oye

Greenie
Apr 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What gold detectors would you recommend to hunt nuggets in Australia?

A detector that works well both on small, medium and large nuggets, goes deep and
shallow. Have many features, is very versatile and fast. Resistent against mineralization.
Have both large and small coils available.

If you will, can you make a list of the 3 best detectors were number one is best and 3 is worst, in your opinion. You must have used it yourself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oye - you will get a bunch of recommendations from member's - you have a tough decision ahead of you. However, whatever you decide - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oye, as far as I know, the Minelabs are the only ones that can do anything in the Aussie Mineralized soil. Here in the U.S. I use a Whites GMT and it finds gold but I do not think it will be of much use where you are.......................63bkpkr

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm going to have to go with 2cmorau on this one, the Whites TDI SL... It'll go deep enough, and shallow on smaller gold, but keep in mine its not a Minelab, it won't hit on that tiny fine gold..
TDI Pro is another good option, goes a tad deeper, but really..

If you're looking for a do it all detector.. Minelab Eureka 3 Frequency settings makes ideal.. "However" rather a weak machine overall.. And costly... The White's GMT will beat it hands down on depth and sensitivity at the higher frequency..
But lack end game depth that the TDI SL - TDI Pro have.

Above your $1000 limit

1. Minelab GPX 5000
2. Minelab GPX 4800-4500
2. Whites TDI Pro
3. Whites TDI SL
4. Garrett Infinium (Meh)

^ real list...

Below $1000 limit

Depth - Sensitivity

1. Fisher Gold Bug Pro
2. Whites GMT
3. Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
4. Minelab Eureka Gold
5. Garrett AT Gold (WITH 4.5" Sniper coil)
6. Minelab x-terra 705 gold (only on the list because the list is short)
7. Fisher Gold Bug 2 (no depth all sensitivity)

You pretty much want a GPX 5000...

Last edited:

Reg

Aug 10, 2007
Pueblo, CO
Detector(s) used
White's TDI, TDI SL, GMT, GM 4, MXT, Tesoro LST, Lobo, Bandido, Vaquero, Sidewinder, Fisher GB 2, GB SE, F75 LTD Camo, Minelab SD 2200, XT18000, Discovery Goldtrax, Cointrax, and too many others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread