Advice on New Machine

thebiggerdigger

Greenie
Jul 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi fellow treasure seekers. I am looking for some advice from all the experts and long time users. I have been hunting with a White's Beach Hunter ID that I picked up about 2 years ago on a trade. I have found mostly coins, pull tabs, bottle caps and some odds and ends. This week I finally made some jewelry finds. One was a fake ring but it had a turquoise cross on it (pretty cool), the second one was a gold looking ring (still have to get it checked out but I am pretty sure it is fake) and the third was a bracelet that a woman lost on the beach 2 weeks prior and she asked me for help and I found it in about 10 minutes (very cool experience helping someone out). Anyway I was looking to upgrade to something more current. I would like to stay sub 1k. I mostly do beaches on Long Island in New York. I do want to start doing more parks and farmlands in upstate NY. Any suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Tesoro SandShark on the wet sand and in the water on Long Island, and the Tesoro Vaquero on the dry sand and in Farm Fields. New, you can get both for $1,050.00

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Sounds like it is a good detector. What don't you like about it? Frank...-
111-1 profile.jpg

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stick with the beach hunter for the sand, nothing better. For dirt I would suggest the whites mxt. Try to stay away from multifrequency in the dirt( I'll get a lot of flack for that), I find single frequency in the 14-15 kHz range to be the best out there from coins to relics to silver to gold. And you'll have money left over for a smaller coil.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would check out the Minelab Sovereign GT.....

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Second that ^^^ !

OP
OP
T

thebiggerdigger

Greenie
Jul 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your replies.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I spent quite some time at my local Whites Distributor learning about some machines. The MX5 was a pretty nice machine and seem to be what I was looking for as a second machine to my Beach Hunter. Then I inquired about the "one on the end of the wall"...V3i. Well he took that one down to show me and I was amazed at all if the features. Of course a hefty price rag comes with those features but it seems like a machine that you never have to worry about upgrading. Anyone gave experience with either machine? Your thoughts?

OP
OP
T

thebiggerdigger

Greenie
Jul 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn. I was looking for something with a VDI readout for digging in dirt. I figured it would help limit the digging of junk.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for all the suggestions. I spent quite some time at my local Whites Distributor learning about some machines. The MX5 was a pretty nice machine and seem to be what I was looking for as a second machine to my Beach Hunter. Then I inquired about the "one on the end of the wall"...V3i. Well he took that one down to show me and I was amazed at all if the features. Of course a hefty price rag comes with those features but it seems like a machine that you never have to worry about upgrading. Anyone gave experience with either machine? Your thoughts?
If you saw mike at treasures unlimited he's a great guy! Listen to him and you won't go wrong. The mx5 is nice but would still go with the Mxt for the dirt

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankn. I was looking for something with a VDI readout for digging in dirt. I figured it would help limit the digging of junk.
Too many people are stuck on the display. The SOUND is the thing! Learn the sound to dig less trash. Bury some good targets and some trash. Practice beeping them and you will find the sound is more accurate. TTC

OP
OP
T

thebiggerdigger

Greenie
Jul 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it was Mike. Great guy. He was really leaving it up to me but just educating me on the two machines. I didn't see an MXT. is that an older machine?

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pm me. If your local I can show you around and let you use my machines

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
As you can see by my list of detectors, I use different detectors for different jobs. I buy quality detectors and use them as long as they produce for me.
My Whites XLT is over 14 years old and producing nice finds. It has 3 forms of ID. I like it because My hearing is not good so the ID helps. This is my general purpose detector. On the beach, I use the Surf master PI because it goes deep and I scoop all targets. The hays 2 Box is for cache hunting it goes 6'+ deep, but is not for small targets. Just my lineup. Frank...- five star.png

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Too many people are stuck on the display. The SOUND is the thing!

This^^^^^^^. If it sounds good dig it, no matter what the display says.

jturgeon13

Tenderfoot
Aug 8, 2014
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari , White's V3i , Teknetic's T2 SE ,

Garrett GTI 2500 , White's Coin Master GT , Titan 9000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have over 10 detectors all over 1000.00 a few of them are the White's V3i , Minelab Safari , Teknetic's t2 SE , Garrett GTI 2500 and so on and I would say I find myself grabbing the Minelab all the time for many reasons great depth , stable vdi numbers , strong signals , This machine is all around just a perfect detector for just about any area you want to hunt. the best part of the Minelab that I can't seem to get enough of is that not one time have I ever had a false signal if it says there is something there it's there and the VDI Numbers don't bounce around like other detectors trust me I have used many and by far quality and accuracy of this machine can't be beat!

jturgeon13

Tenderfoot
Aug 8, 2014
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari , White's V3i , Teknetic's T2 SE ,

Garrett GTI 2500 , White's Coin Master GT , Titan 9000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup I own one get ready if you buy one they are loaded ! but I found that they also are unstable they work great in an air test but seem to have a hard time when items are in the ground VDI numbers are only accurate at around 3 to 4 inches then you need to rely on sound only for the most part all the bell's and whistles are cool but really my opinion on this machine is that they spent to much time and money in the display and features and not enough time where it matters most my Minelab will smoke the V3i in finds and coins any day of the week the V3i is a good machine but I can't help the fact that I feel it misses a lot of targets when I use it that my other machines don't buy a Minelab I have over 10 detectors all well over a grand each and the Minelab is the first one I grab when I go out

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup I own one get ready if you buy one they are loaded ! but I found that they also are unstable they work great in an air test but seem to have a hard time when items are in the ground VDI numbers are only accurate at around 3 to 4 inches then you need to rely on sound only for the most part all the bell's and whistles are cool but really my opinion on this machine is that they spent to much time and money in the display and features and not enough time where it matters most my Minelab will smoke the V3i in finds and coins any day of the week the V3i is a good machine but I can't help the fact that I feel it misses a lot of targets when I use it that my other machines don't buy a Minelab I have over 10 detectors all well over a grand each and the Minelab is the first one I grab when I go out
I use a $500 whites M6 and smoke my two buddies who swing $2500 ctx's. What's your point? Again, it's not the machine but the guy using it. Where I detect I don't care what detector your using, the numbers will always jump around due to so many targets in the ground and outside EMI. The display is nothing more than a reference, and it usually is wrong. GL HH Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread