Back on line

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The mother board on my laptop went gunny sacks, and I tried to get it repaired for about two weeks. Kept getting promises' on a new one, (mother board) but then finally was told it was back ordered to November, so gave up on that and bought a new computer. The old one was a 17 inch HP, the new machine is a 15 inch Toshiba. There is no comparison, except the the new machine is still Windows 7, that's the only good thing for me. At my age change isn't a good thing. Of course they were able to copy my hard drive, so nothing is lost or out of place. The speakers on the HP were excellent, on this one they suck, I can't understand anything being said on a video. I do have a really good stand alone speaker, but have lost the cable to it, so will have to figure something out in that regard. I also miss the larger screen. I have an old MAC OSX machine (really old, upgrades are refused) that is still online, and I was able to do email on that thing one time, and then it wouldn't accept the password, so I gave up on it, and couldn't get on TNet at all, so I've been gone for a couple of weeks, and I doubt anyone has missed me, but just in case, now you know where I went. I could have got a cheaper, better machine with Windows 8 on it, but I don't want Windows 8, I just like to have my HP back, but that's not going to happen, so beggars can't be choosers and I'm sure I'll eventually learn to like this lap top. Need to do something about the speakers though. Boats

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BosnMate, that's the biggest gripe I have about laptops. In my opinion, they're 'throw-aways'. My grandson bought a used one about a year ago, although he knew it would be really slow. He thought he could upgrade to a faster processor. So he ordered one and took the machine apart, only to put it back together and use it as is. The processor is soldered to the mainboard. I've got a 15 inch Toshiba that I bought in 2010. I like it but it's a bit slow. It has a single core 2.0 processor. If I go somewhere, I'll take it with me sometime; but at home I stay on my desktop 'puter
Something you might try for better sound is a USB sound adapter for headphones and speakers. They're cheap and I use one the desktop. You just plug it into the USB port, let the computer find it, then plug your headphones into it. Some also have a microphone jack. I haven't tried it on the laptop. I've just been using the headphones. Even a cheap set of headphones make the sound a lot better on the Toshiba laptops. I'll try to think and try the USB sound card on the laptop later; maybe tomorrow and let you know how it works. Also, I've never tried it with my speakers on the desktop. Hmmm, something else to try!

Oh, that's something else I wanted to say. I don't like Windows 8 either.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boats, what do you mostly use the laptop for? Surfing the web, emails, videos? I'm only asking because you cannot beat an iPad. Speed, sound, display, ease of use, etc. I love mine and do 95% of my activities on my iPad. Oh, and no damn viruses! GL. Mike

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The most important thing I do on the lap top is my banking. Next to that is research, and I use the laptop like a typewriter, and keep in touch with friends by email. Any more if I want to buy a book it's from Amazon, and I'll watch youtube videos, and I used to listen to music and or the radio on the computer, but not this one. And in the evening I like to get on TNet for awhile, and that's about it. I don't want I pads or kindles or none of that stuff. I want my phone to be like the old days, say hello and good bye, with conversation in between, nothing else. My wife and I live in a small town, we don't need apps to find anything, and anymore we don't travel. If it wasn't for the ease of bill paying I'd probably be more happy without a computer.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might find A motherboard on ebay also. Tons of people doing nothing but scrapping computers.
Laptops are great for the portability, but, with my desktop I can have A 24" screen...so easy to read the small print.
With a desktop you can plug your sound into your home stereo.
Welcome back!

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I definitely like a desktop more than the laptop; except for the portability. I have a Vizio 26 inch tv that I use for tv and as a monitor. I can route the sound from the computer through the speaker system that is attached to the computer, headphones plugged into the computer, headphones plugged into the USB adapter/soundcard, or I can route it through the tv speakers. Using the tv, which I seldom do, I can either use the speakers or headphones. I've become accustomed to using headphones almost exclusively for my sound.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear you're up and running!

I'm still in the void, waiting for the phone service to start up agin, so it's free WiFi where ever I can get it! Lol! I may learn to like this life! Lo!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome back Bosn and howdy Msbeepbeep,good to see you too today!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread