advice wanted

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
hi there I am hoping you can help me I found an isolated bay and I do mean isolated this bay is about 8 feet by 4 feet in front of it is a solid row of cliff the bay seems to be natural
in front of it there is a sheer cliff the sea has worn a opening into the cliffs where the sea comes in. The area is well used judging by the amount of litter the sand at its deepest in approx 1 and 1/2 feet and at it narrowest 5 inch's under the sand is clay i scanned the area and so far have found a 1928 George V penny it was covered in a thick layer of green stuff cleaned it off not a bad coin. This was at a dept of about 6inch's sitting on the top of the clay located at the very top of the bay my questions are varied but here go

1 Has anyone searched a similar terrain type and if so did you find any thing in the clay

2 If you had to hazard a guess would you say that the sea had deposited the coin there

3 what would be the best search pattern to use

4 I'm starting to form a mental picture of the search areas of past events almost like
watching a movie playing in my head no sound though has anyone else ever had this
experience or am i just losing it.

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its only 8X4?? Just hit it till it is done

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Always check the seaweed that washes up. It traps tons of stuff. Stake out the area and rope it off if the waves won't wash out your makers. this way you can be sure not to miss anything. Even if it is a small area. Better yet go at low tide. Do a slow methodical search and use all metal or low discrimination. There could be relics in the cliff side in the dirt/clay that falls off. Got a pic you could post ? Let us know what you find amigo.

Acevillav 8)

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Hi, I have had some good luck working the clay bases. I have never found anything in the clay itself, just stuff sitting on the clay. I would scrape extra sand away by hand(potato rake) as I went along, to make sure I picked up every signal. I found more items as I worked toward the land. If it is in an area that gets pounded all the time by surf, I would doubt that items have been there from the time they were lost. Most likely, the items are being unearthed by the surf, and brought into the space, which means that the area is replenished from time to time and can be detected every so often to get the goodies.

Are there other big rocks or ledges in the immediate area? It would be a very good site if this is so, because coins and jewelry can be trapped in the cracks of the ledges and in around large rocks. I always scan the ledges and move rocks to check under them. Picture it like the riffles in a gold sluice. I have found depressions in ledges that have yielded many coins and rings, as they are being moved about and classified by the surf.

Good luck!............HH

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
Thanks for the excellent advice I will definitely keep searching this area I will post a picture of the area by the weekend.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How big is this area again? Eight feet X four feet? How deep is it? I think I would pass it up myself.............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread