SHARK INFO PLZ

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I don't know about any studies, but there have been some posts regarding sharks. Check these out
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,88755.0.html
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,65858.0.html

Whether you're hitting shallow or deep water, there are certain things you should remember (as a recap)

1. Try to avoid splashing, erattic motions, etc... usually a sign of distress (aka lunch)
2. Watch for the little baitfish... when they are "running" something is usually chasing them
3. ... goes along with # 2... don't wear anything shiny/dangly. It looks like batifish (aka lunch)
4. no open cuts... blah blah blah... (blood in the water = bad)
5. pay attention to your surroundings (a good set of polarized glasses is a good idea)
6. stay out of the water at night. Dusk, dawn and dark are feeding times. I'd also throw murky water into this category
7. Regardless of what happens - never panic. panic/fear is sensed by most animals
8. Most shark attacks are mistaken identity... (see #'s 1,3,4) they don't really like how we taste

And as tom (wreckdiver) says... just make sure you can swim faster than your dive/hunting buddy.

A lot also depends on where you're hunting. Oh... and if you're in florida (or any other alligator/croc infested areas, the same holds true with them.

I wrote this with a little bit of humor... just use your common sense. Most of these rules hold true. Remember, they are wild animals and as such, fairly unpredictable.

steve

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They don't really seem to affect them that much, usually they swollow anything, but have been known to spit the detector out after they finish dining on the hunter. ;D

It's like Spez says above.......

I want hunt the water much deeper then my knees at night, and to be honest that isn't the smartest thing to do. ::)

Be aware of your surroundings, be careful hunting during the feeding times, and if you cut your self, might be smart to get out of water....

Always use the "buddy" system when hunting at night, it's safer, pick a "buddy" who is bigger and slower then you are... ;D ;D ;D

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jim:

Spez and Treasure Hunter have covered it pretty well. The average MD'er like the average Diver is not likely to encounter a shark but it does happen. The more time you spend in the water, combined with your actions and/or the actions of those around you plus say the presence of bait fish can increase those odds greatly.

Spez brought out what is possibly the most important rule of all, in the water or anywhere for that matter. Should you have an encounter, DO NOT PANIC!!!! Panic kills. Keep your head and move slowly back to the beach.

I am not aware of any Shark research specifically about the effects a detector might have on sharks. There has however been a lot of research on the use of electronic impulses as a shark deterrent. This has met with varying degrees of success.

There are many things in the ocean that can sting, cut, bite and even eat you. It's another world that most just take for granted but the reality is that it is NOT our world. Use common sense, if you don't know positively what it is don't touch it, have an ocean specific first aid kit with you or close by and just have fun.

There is one more thing that should be said. This is for the ladies. If it is your time of the month, stay out of the water. It's as simple as that. Blood, even the smallest amount, is a shark magnet. You are endangering not only yourself but those around you.
Deepsix

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
KINGPULLTAB said:
Does anyone know if a study has been done on how a detector affects sharks? Just wondering, as I would like to start searching deeper water.

Thanks Jim

I don't recall ever hearing about shark(s) attacking detectorists.

Do you think it could be because they are so busy laughing at the dude in the plaid shorts, black socks and sandels wading in the water? :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions