Advice

nick.foltz

Dec 24, 2009
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Tesoro Cibola
I live in a old farm house (1800's). I've been metal detecting here for a few months. I've found some old ball jars (broken) in the back yard. I'm not sure if there use to be paper money in them or not. I've found a lot of old coins here. The property is a little of an acre so I have a lot to detect. But my question is I went down into the crawl space a couple days ago. I have a storm cellar and it has a access to the crawl space. I found a Indian Head down there from the late 1800's (in very poor shape) Well I have a Garrett ( I will be upgrading soon with the great tax check) I hit a very nice signal so I started digging and digging and digging, and still haven't found it. I've dug down about 12 inches so far, and about 12 inches in diameter. I just don't know if its getting interference or its the real deal. The dirt is very loose, but I've never heard of anyone digging down that deep with one of these machines. I scanned around the area of the hole nothing, but just right there. I don't have a pinpointer and I can't get a mans shovel down there because of lack of space. If you have ANY advice that would be great. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nicholas

XT18000

May 26, 2008
Any chance that your picking up something large over head?
The coil picks up on both the top and the bottom and if there is
a stove or something large setting on the floor over that spot
it might be picking it up.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Take the coil off and put it in the hole by hand and move it around. Could be a jar or coins if no other metal is around. Or a water pipe...

M

Mike(Mont)

That's somethng you are starting to learn--every treasure hunt has it's own obstacles. You have to think of a way to get around them. Maybe you can use a hammer and a sharpened piece of rebar or some kind of steel tool to loosen up the ground. Be sure to wear safety glasses. Your metal detector isn't going to detect much over two feet on a big item--like a treasure chest. Be sure to recheck the hole on those broken jars.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you checked the dirt you already took out? Wave the detector over it...sometimes the soil is mineralized...if so try the discriminate mode so that the dirt already out of the hole doesnt make a signal....then try the hole if it doesn't have a signal them it was just mineralized dirt...if it still gives a signal them dig that bugger!

joecoin

Aug 22, 2007
milan ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov, Garrett Antique
If you are not going to be moving anytime soon, just take your time. No one else is going to get down in there to dig. Just dig when you feel like it.

dumpdigger

Nov 30, 2008
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XLT, Vaquero & Fisher 1280
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can make a short probe. I make all my probes. The smallest I have is a little over a foot long. I made it out of a little sprayer pump handle like you spray flowers or gardens with. It already had the handle on top and a nice spring steel shaft. My larger probes I use auto trunk springs, they are spring steel also. I just melt the end a little with my welder to make a little ball so you don't have friction on the whole shaft.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread