Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scroll down to Page 12 to see the Slave Bracelet in the Western & Eastern Treasures magazine, April 2012 issue. My SAMBO Cap Gun also made the same article. Here is the original post on SAMBO:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ap-gun-1897-before-after-pics.html#msg3016733
'Ole' Sambo didn't make the banner so I was really happy to see it in W&E magazine.

Hey Gang, Two weeks ago I dug what I thought was an old bracelet. At first glance, I thought it was one of those copper arthritis bracelets, so I threw it in my pouch without much of a to-do. After getting home and examining it, I realized it was not 'grannies copper arthritis bracelet.' I posted it on the What Is It forum and got an array of ideas from hog, bull nose rings to key chains. Although several people thought it was a trade bracelet. The link to the original post is listed below.

With so many different opinions, I shelled out a few bucks and had it professionally appraised. The bottom line: It's an African Slave Trade Bracelet circa 1700-1750!!! :headbang:

Here is the appraisal:

I have closely examined the information you have submitted. Thank you for the images and descriptive information. My findings are based on this information.
Your item is a brass slave bracelet from Africa; the bracelet has the "horns" at the end indicative of African slave bracelets. I would date the bracelet C. 1700-1750.
You stated it was found in an area where the Saponi Indians once lived. The Saponi were originally from Virginia and North Carolina, many later relocated to Ontario, Canada, Georgia, Tennessee and Ohio and disappeared from the historical record as a tribe by the end of the 18th century (1700-1750). The interesting facts about the Saponi are that they were at one time classified by some anthropologists as being known as tri-racial isolates. Records have shown that the Saponi had European, African and Native American ancestry in varying degrees, the above mentioned tri-racial groups did settle and create communities in frontier and border areas of the southern states.
The first slaves were brought from Africa to SOUTH Carolina in 1670 and North Carolina did not play a large part in the early slave trade, but North Carolina did rely on slaves for carpentry, masonry, and construction as well as agriculture.
The bracelet is very similar to 18th century African slave bracelets. North Carolina jewelry made by Native American tribes in the 18th century were made out of bone, shells, polished stones, beads, copper, and from brass obtained from white traders. The Saponi would not have had access to metals unless it was a trade to them by the European settlers (not made by the Saponi, but worn by a tribe member).
The value would be between $95.00 and $125.00 in today's retail market. The market comparison approach to value was used which estimates value by comparison with properties sold in the relevant market, with adjustments made for all differences that affect value, such as differences in characteristics of value, in market layer, and in time. The values listed below may vary depending on how and where it is marketed.

Kindest regards,
Joan Whatton
American Society of Appraisers
Jondre` Appraisal Services, LLC

Here's a link to the original post:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=418015.msg2993342#msg2993342

Attachments

• Bracelet1.jpg
    Bracelet1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 6,311
  • Bracelet2.jpg
    Bracelet2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 6,234
  • Bracelet3.jpg
    Bracelet3.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 6,102
  • Bracelet4.jpg
    Bracelet4.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 6,196
  • Bracelet4.jpg
    Bracelet4.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 5,956
  • Bracelet3.jpg
    Bracelet3.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 5,982
  • Bracelet2.jpg
    Bracelet2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 6,040
  • Bracelet1.jpg
    Bracelet1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 6,055
Last edited:
Upvote 18

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ironic to see the quoted value on such a historic 1700's item. Congrats on the W&E article!
Carl

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: Super nice bracelet.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super nice bracelet.:thumbsup:

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Breezie, that is an amazing find! & it is in such good shape. probably good u didn't know what it was when u found it, or they would have had to take u away in an ambulance.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is way cool. I have one similar. But it dosent look to be as old as yours. Yours looks really old. mine was given to me by someone who salvaged it off a slave ship that wrecked off key west. Awsome find !!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread is 5 years old........

OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is way cool. I have one similar. But it dosent look to be as old as yours. Yours looks really old. mine was given to me by someone who salvaged it off a slave ship that wrecked off key west. Awsome find !!!

Thank you SilverInDaHole and BlakBart. Blak Bart, I'd love to see some photos of your bracelet. Feel free to post them on this thread. I'm somewhat confused by the age/date of yours. Are you saying a slave ship wrecked in the mid 1800's, and the ship was discovered just recently? I look forward to hearing from you.
:)
Breezie

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG, Breezie. When you hot, you're hot. Excellent, unique, interesting and educational find. No way my English teacher would let me use that many adjectives in a sentence, unless he or she saw this bracelet.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find Breezie! Such a historical piece. Thanks for sharing, Congrats and HH

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scroll down to Page 12 to see the Slave Bracelet in the Western & Eastern Treasures magazine, April 2012 issue. My SAMBO Cap Gun also made the same article. Here is the original post on SAMBO:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ap-gun-1897-before-after-pics.html#msg3016733
'Ole' Sambo didn't make the banner so I was really happy to see it in W&E magazine.

Hey Gang, Two weeks ago I dug what I thought was an old bracelet. At first glance, I thought it was one of those copper arthritis bracelets, so I threw it in my pouch without much of a to-do. After getting home and examining it, I realized it was not 'grannies copper arthritis bracelet.' I posted it on the What Is It forum and got an array of ideas from hog, bull nose rings to key chains. Although several people thought it was a trade bracelet. The link to the original post is listed below.

With so many different opinions, I shelled out a few bucks and had it professionally appraised. The bottom line: It's an African Slave Trade Bracelet circa 1700-1750!!! :headbang:

Here is the appraisal:

I have closely examined the information you have submitted. Thank you for the images and descriptive information. My findings are based on this information.
Your item is a brass slave bracelet from Africa; the bracelet has the "horns" at the end indicative of African slave bracelets. I would date the bracelet C. 1700-1750.
You stated it was found in an area where the Saponi Indians once lived. The Saponi were originally from Virginia and North Carolina, many later relocated to Ontario, Canada, Georgia, Tennessee and Ohio and disappeared from the historical record as a tribe by the end of the 18th century (1700-1750). The interesting facts about the Saponi are that they were at one time classified by some anthropologists as being known as tri-racial isolates. Records have shown that the Saponi had European, African and Native American ancestry in varying degrees, the above mentioned tri-racial groups did settle and create communities in frontier and border areas of the southern states.
The first slaves were brought from Africa to SOUTH Carolina in 1670 and North Carolina did not play a large part in the early slave trade, but North Carolina did rely on slaves for carpentry, masonry, and construction as well as agriculture.
The bracelet is very similar to 18th century African slave bracelets. North Carolina jewelry made by Native American tribes in the 18th century were made out of bone, shells, polished stones, beads, copper, and from brass obtained from white traders. The Saponi would not have had access to metals unless it was a trade to them by the European settlers (not made by the Saponi, but worn by a tribe member).
The value would be between $95.00 and $125.00 in today's retail market. The market comparison approach to value was used which estimates value by comparison with properties sold in the relevant market, with adjustments made for all differences that affect value, such as differences in characteristics of value, in market layer, and in time. The values listed below may vary depending on how and where it is marketed.

Kindest regards,
Joan Whatton
American Society of Appraisers
Jondre` Appraisal Services, LLC

Here's a link to the original post:
Trade Bracelet (Solved:Info in 1st post)

As this was before my time on T-net , I never would have thought Slave Trade Bracelet. ( I don't doubt it).

I would have thought "This look's Old, & Cool" & Kept it with my 'Cool & need to I'd Stuff" .

As for worth , To me it would be Priceless.
Davers

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I love about TN. I see relics I've never seen before! This is awesome, and thanks for sharing!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's one really nice old find.
Big congrats.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I knew I'd seen this somewhere,I dug this last fall in an old farm field. It looks strikingly similar.

DSCN2105.JPG
DSCN2106.JPG
DSCN2107.JPG

GOD Bless

Chris

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those voting banner now, the find already made banner and thread is 5 years old.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread