Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scroll down to Page 12 to see the Slave Bracelet in the Western & Eastern Treasures magazine, April 2012 issue. My SAMBO Cap Gun also made the same article. Here is the original post on SAMBO:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ap-gun-1897-before-after-pics.html#msg3016733
'Ole' Sambo didn't make the banner so I was really happy to see it in W&E magazine.

Hey Gang, Two weeks ago I dug what I thought was an old bracelet. At first glance, I thought it was one of those copper arthritis bracelets, so I threw it in my pouch without much of a to-do. After getting home and examining it, I realized it was not 'grannies copper arthritis bracelet.' I posted it on the What Is It forum and got an array of ideas from hog, bull nose rings to key chains. Although several people thought it was a trade bracelet. The link to the original post is listed below.

With so many different opinions, I shelled out a few bucks and had it professionally appraised. The bottom line: It's an African Slave Trade Bracelet circa 1700-1750!!! :headbang:

Here is the appraisal:

I have closely examined the information you have submitted. Thank you for the images and descriptive information. My findings are based on this information.
Your item is a brass slave bracelet from Africa; the bracelet has the "horns" at the end indicative of African slave bracelets. I would date the bracelet C. 1700-1750.
You stated it was found in an area where the Saponi Indians once lived. The Saponi were originally from Virginia and North Carolina, many later relocated to Ontario, Canada, Georgia, Tennessee and Ohio and disappeared from the historical record as a tribe by the end of the 18th century (1700-1750). The interesting facts about the Saponi are that they were at one time classified by some anthropologists as being known as tri-racial isolates. Records have shown that the Saponi had European, African and Native American ancestry in varying degrees, the above mentioned tri-racial groups did settle and create communities in frontier and border areas of the southern states.
The first slaves were brought from Africa to SOUTH Carolina in 1670 and North Carolina did not play a large part in the early slave trade, but North Carolina did rely on slaves for carpentry, masonry, and construction as well as agriculture.
The bracelet is very similar to 18th century African slave bracelets. North Carolina jewelry made by Native American tribes in the 18th century were made out of bone, shells, polished stones, beads, copper, and from brass obtained from white traders. The Saponi would not have had access to metals unless it was a trade to them by the European settlers (not made by the Saponi, but worn by a tribe member).
The value would be between $95.00 and $125.00 in today's retail market. The market comparison approach to value was used which estimates value by comparison with properties sold in the relevant market, with adjustments made for all differences that affect value, such as differences in characteristics of value, in market layer, and in time. The values listed below may vary depending on how and where it is marketed.

Kindest regards,
Joan Whatton
American Society of Appraisers
Jondre` Appraisal Services, LLC

Here's a link to the original post:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=418015.msg2993342#msg2993342

Attachments

• Bracelet1.jpg
    Bracelet1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 6,311
  • Bracelet2.jpg
    Bracelet2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 6,234
  • Bracelet3.jpg
    Bracelet3.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 6,102
  • Bracelet4.jpg
    Bracelet4.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 6,196
  • Bracelet4.jpg
    Bracelet4.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 5,956
  • Bracelet3.jpg
    Bracelet3.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 5,982
  • Bracelet2.jpg
    Bracelet2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 6,040
  • Bracelet1.jpg
    Bracelet1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 6,055
Last edited:
Upvote 18

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is seriously neat.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting find ...congrats ! :thumbsup:
H

Steve in Michigan

Apr 9, 2005
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Garrett Freedon Ace
This is a great find. Glad to see you made Banner. In a way its sad also to know that some poor person had this on them and was getting beaten and treated worse then an animal. Say a prayer for that individual.

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fantastic find Breezie :notworthy:

and Congratulations on a well-deserved BANNER :headbang:

I must say, I can see the likeness in your GGMother's pic (Yeah Right :laughing7: )

Cheers, Mike

mnixon

Apr 2, 2010
Austin TX
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum, AT pro
What a great find ... & I would have probably scratched it a couple times digging it , so nice digging. very easy item to scratch or scrap when digging........I am curious as to how it was layin in the ground & what your detector read when you went over it..... also the depth that it was at ?

The history of your property & the surrounding area is just fantastic....congrats again

museum quality for sure

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
I could have sworn I posted on this but I guess not! That's an amazing relic find with real historical significance! :icon_thumright: :headbang: Big Congrats! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nana, Poppy, Allen, Bear, Hispan, and JW15, thank you for the compliments on this bracelet. :thumbsup:

JimmyUK, Our laws concerning finds are somewhat different here in the U.S.A. than in the UK as far as having to give them to the government/museums etc., especially since I found this on my property.

Mike, thank you for 'yeah right' comment LOL :laughing7: :icon_thumleft:

Steve, thank you for the kudos. Also, scroll up and read Ivan Salis post; it's a great explanation about the bracelet, slaves, and Native Americans.

MNixon, I did put a small scratch on it with the digger. When I turned over the dirt (about 8 inches deep), it was lying flat in the bottom of the dirt clump. At first glance I thought it was the top (or bottom) rim to an old beer or soda can. Then after realizing it was a bracelet, I thought it was either a hippy style bracelet from the 60s or either an arthritis bracelet. I don't remember what the reading was on the DFX, but will re-read it and let you know.
As far as the history of the area, one of my neighbors found some pottery while digging their swimming pool. As soon as the ticks and mosquitoes die down, I'm going to do a lot more serious digging.

Everyone, thanks again.

Breezie

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read the appraisal first, then saw the picture, and the instant I saw the picture it was "yeah, that's absolutely real." congratulations.

Interestingly, as you mentioned arthritis bracelets, I just dug up my first one, a copper bracelet incised with flowers and leaves and the word "Chile" in the center, possibly dating to the 1950-60's as I found it buried near a 1956 quarter.

OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought I would add to the Native American interest of this post by showing 2 pics of 2 trees on the border of my property. They are known as Native American Trail Trees, and are approximately 60 yards apart. Most of the Trail Trees in NC are white oak, but others were also used. According to lore, they were bent by the Indians to mark a trail. I'm sure during your MD, you have run across trees like this. A Trail Tree has to be at least 15 inches in diameter to be the correct size for the time period. ;D Breezie

Attachments

• TrailTree1.jpg
    TrailTree1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 241
  • TrailTree2.jpg
    TrailTree2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 222

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ,just read this one .My internet was down for a while. Very historic piece of history.

ZINCLID

Apr 2, 2010
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS-----a nice find :icon_thumleft:

Seabiscuit

Jan 2, 2010
Detector(s) used
F-75, CZ-20, Troy Shadow
That is a find of a lifetime! I have never seen one of those before and I have seen a lot of stuff in my day. Real nice.
Seabiscuit

OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Slave Bracelet & Sambo Cap Gun

Hey Gang,
Just a note to let everyone know my Slave Bracelet and Sambo Cap Gun made Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine. Please note my buddy DOUG made the cover! Below are the pics & article. :) Breezie

1WEMagazineCover.jpg
2WEMagazineIndex.jpg
3WEMagazinePage1.jpg
4WEMagazinePage2.jpg
5WEMagazinePage3.jpg

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, Breezie :icon_thumleft: "North Carolina Lady"!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You have made some great finds during your detecting career with the Best yet to come. Your picture was very pretty and thankfully cancelled out the clown on the cover-LOl. WTG, Q.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread