Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got to leave work mid-afternoon and was unprepared with clothes to detect in, but went anyway. Had an extra hooded jacket and grabbed a plastic bag to kneel on for extractions to make another stab at Druid Hill Park in Baltimore.

First two good targets were a wheat and a no-date Buff, then it got interesting. Following up on a deep 18 on the Equinox turned up a deep (9 inches) flat button, shown here with the Buff IMG_7066.JPG .

Got a wheat or two and then an Indian; this was the first of two for the hunt; the 1898 came first and then the 1897, but more of that second one later IMG_7058.JPG .

Not far from Indian #1, a high-tone target turned out to be an intact cuff-link IMG_7063.JPG IMG_7064.JPG .

By now the sun had set but I moved on and got a broken high-tone jumping into the 30s but not as high as deep iron and definitely reproducible in both directions. Now most of these targets showed no pinpointer response with plug removed. 3-4 more inches of soil had to removed to find the targets. This one showed up to be silver and some careful soil removal revealed a seated dime, shown here with the second silver, just 6 feet away, a Barber dime IMG_7062.JPG . The second IHC, the 1897, was just about a foot away from the seated. A little more detecting yielded nothing else other than nails but......what a hunt. Total hunt time was about 1.5 hours and goes to show that you never know what will turn up next here and there are still some older silvers and IHCs to be had.

Here the wrap-up at home afterwards,

Last edited:
Upvote 41

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett GTI 2500, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NICE! Great recoveries! Thats quite the haul for an impromptu hunt!!! Congratulations!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow.. I didn't know that it was still safe to go to Druid Hill .. much less hunt there! Glad to see that you can till do it, but as madmant says, watch your back! Nice finds..the Injuns are beautiful!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
McCdig, your parks are the gifts that keep on giving ! Great coin finds, and the cuff link is a nice find also.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds in the park. Congrat's.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 1.5 hour hunt with that result would be a three day hunt for me, Congrats on finding two IH'S a long with two superb dimes and a buffalo nickel.

Last edited:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats on the wonderful finds, that was an awesome smattering of great finds

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You found some very nice keepers!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Now we're metal detecting. Great finds.:icon_thumright:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer hunt, congrats.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Randy! I was shocked as the finds kept coming. Will be heading back there as soon as I can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread