Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, beautiful piece.

I'm also curious about your avatar. Did you post it on Tnet? What material is it?

OP
OP
scepter1

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes, beautiful piece.

I'm also curious about your avatar. Did you post it on Tnet? What material is it?

My avatar is an agate/chalcedony arrowhead that I found very close to where I just found the above agate scraper.

Attachments

• DSCF0065.JPG
    DSCF0065.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
awesome...i just found a nice jasper scraper too on the coast, nice to see PNW material.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you finding some again and posting

OP
OP
scepter1

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Additional thoughts:

All the gunflints I've ever seen have been brand new, and the only ones I could find on the Internet were also brand new. *What do they look like when they are worn/used? *

There is no flint here, and the little chert there is has all been brought in. *So if you ran out of gunflints, agate/jasper would be the only alternatives... would they knap their own?

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
true...no flint but no shortage of HBC forts and other trade forts too. You have probably been over to Ft. Nisqually, boy howdy even without a lot of settlers out here there sure was a lot of economic activity up and down the PNW. Even so i'm with you, you would think we would find few gun flints on the beach now and then.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Additional thoughts:

All the gunflints I've ever seen have been brand new, and the only ones I could find on the Internet were also brand new. *What do they look like when they are worn/used? *

There is no flint here, and the little chert there is has all been brought in. *So if you ran out of gunflints, agate/jasper would be the only alternatives... would they knap their own?

I thought gun flint as well when I first saw yours but wasn’t sure if the material was correct. The pic below is a French gun flint I found while looking for points on a beach. I’m guessing it’s from late 1600s
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514232276.612863.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1514232325.746933.jpg

OP
OP
scepter1

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
true...no flint but no shortage of HBC forts and other trade forts too. You have probably been over to Ft. Nisqually, boy howdy even without a lot of settlers out here there sure was a lot of economic activity up and down the PNW. Even so i'm with you, you would think we would find few gun flints on the beach now and then.

Uncle, you bring up a great point (no pun intended). There is only 1/2 mile of beach that I have found artifacts on, and of that, most come from a 500 foot stretch centered around a large above-water gravel bar. I have found point types from Northern California, Oregon, Eastern Washington, Western Washington, and British Columbia. Lodges in Puget Sound were all on the main land with beach areas being focal areas in the summer. I believe this was a potlatch beach, and the variety of material also favors it being a trade route as well. Hudson Bay traders would certainly would make sense...

Last edited:
OP
OP
scepter1

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
I thought gun flint as well when I first saw yours but wasn’t sure if the material was correct. The pic below is a French gun flint I found while looking for points on a beach. I’m guessing it’s from late 1600s
View attachment 1530102 View attachment 1530104

Thanks arrow86! Great find and photos! I'm guessing it to be a drop /unused? If mine is a gunflint, then I'm thinking it was made here from local agate.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Uncle, you bring up a great point (no pun intended). There is only 1/2 mile of beach that I have found artifacts on, and of that, most come from a 500 foot stretch centered around a large above-water gravel bar. I have found point types from Northern California, Oregon, Eastern Washington, and British Columbia. Lodges in Puget Sound were all on the main land with beach areas being focal areas in the summer. I believe this was a potlatch beach, and the variety of material also favors it being a trade route as well. Hudson Bay traders would certainly would make sense...

i know a spot exactly like you discribe in historic Chinkook area...a place with fresh water and equal distance between several habitation sites. And when you consider that the highways were all by canoe... a lot of times travel was quicker than todays roads.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread