Age Of Spear Head

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could use some help from the experts here on how to tell (what to look for) in trying to determine age and if a piece is authentic.
Here's a picture of a spear head I believe ( could be arrow head). What age range would this be and how is one able to determine that?
Thanks in advance to all..............

ArrowHead.jpg

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well for starters I see no stain which normally is the 1st thing a person will fake. I see no patina either which is the 2nd thing a person will fake. Then you have the flaking which is hard for me to know cause you didnt say where it is from. Certain flaking for each period and each state will vary. If I buy a collection which isnt often I will only buy from my area due to the 3rd reason. rock

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the typical grey ghost design.......no flaking. Appears to be from the belt sander period. JMO.

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would show it to some collectors in your area, the rock in your area may patinate different.

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the input as I have a bit more knowledge now. This is in the province of Ontario. Seller says comes from a high end collection.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the input as I have a bit more knowledge now. This is in the province of Ontario. Seller says comes from a high end collection.

I wouldnt buy from him

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FYI, high end collections have fakes too... I do not see any patina on it.... I personally wouldn't buy it if it cost more than a few dollars...

Last edited:

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
As old as the stone... The work looks modern.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread