πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out with olddude today for a marathon of permission seeking. Let's just say I've never knocked on so many doors in my life! We didn't get alot of nos, but a TON of no answers at the door. We hunted 1 house which was chatter city for 1 hr, still managed 2 early wheats, 1911 v nickel, and a 1930 merc. It's only silver #3 on the year for me, man I'm disgusted with how this season is starting. Well better luck next time

Thanks for looking and hh!!! 20150415_122628.jpg

Upvote 8

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What? No war nick?

This game is about keeping on keeping on.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What? No war nick?

This game is about keeping on keeping on.

Yeah I hear ya, I suppose I sounded a bit ungrateful, I started slow last year but picked up quite a bit of permissions with dave as the season progressed

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah, it's a slow start but knock on the right door and there's 20 silvers

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I hear ya, I suppose I sounded a bit ungrateful, I started slow last year but picked up quite a bit of permissions with dave as the season progressed

Trouble is, with more and more people going door to door, the permissions are gonna dry up. Some of those non-answers are an indication. Who's at the door Martha? Just another one of those pesky door to door metal detector people. Just ignore him, he'll go away. If he don't, let the dogs out.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trouble is, with more and more people going door to door, the permissions are gonna dry up. Some of those non-answers are an indication. Who's at the door Martha? Just another one of those pesky door to door metal detector people. Just ignore him, he'll go away. If he don't, let the dogs out.

Well I dunno, most of the no answers were homes w/o cars in the driveway, it's not like we show up and say "hi can I dig holes in your yard?", we're very respectful and explain our intent, hardly anyone is rude, usually just ehh, I'd rather not, or ehh my family member has done it, etc etc. If I gave up door knocking, I should just sell all my equipment, that's how I get my goodies

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointerβ€Ž/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a good day ya could of been skunked. lol

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daytime in the middle of the work week? I'd go back and try it again on a weekend. Cheers !!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh! Heckfire! If that's what makes you happy, then by all means keep at it! But, door knocking with no cars evident gives the impression of trying where it appears nobody's home. Sure, I know, not everybody drives. But, if the missus is home and the Mr is away, that is "more" reason to not open a door to a stranger, not less.

My point isn't how anyone should approach their hobby. I'm just saying that doing door to door-like selling, (and you are selling), puts people off. Hence all the "No Solicitors" signs.

What I'm afraid of is that there might be an element of causing even more alienation betwixt us and people whose lands we seek to search. It is simply one man's take on it and that's all. Each needs to do what they want. Just a personal concern and even I am not opposed to asking someone if I happen to be talking to them.

As far as selling all your equipment, it wouldn't work. You'd just become embittered and no fun to be around. I know! Because that is what happened to me when I quit. And I have a slight disagreement with you on the "that's how I get my goodies" concept. Firstly, you might want to redefine, to yourself, what that word "goodies" means. Second, you get them by finding them. I've seen you post some wonderful stuff, from a park, a school, etc. You didn't knock on any door for those "goodies".

In any case, more power to you! Just make sure you give Dave a chance to find a war nickel. Ok? ;)

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh! Heckfire! If that's what makes you happy, then by all means keep at it! But, door knocking with no cars evident gives the impression of trying where it appears nobody's home. Sure, I know, not everybody drives. But, if the missus is home and the Mr is away, that is "more" reason to not open a door to a stranger, not less.

My point isn't how anyone should approach their hobby. I'm just saying that doing door to door-like selling, (and you are selling), puts people off. Hence all the "No Solicitors" signs.

What I'm afraid of is that there might be an element of causing even more alienation betwixt us and people whose lands we seek to search. It is simply one man's take on it and that's all. Each needs to do what they want. Just a personal concern and even I am not opposed to asking someone if I happen to be talking to them.

As far as selling all your equipment, it wouldn't work. You'd just become embittered and no fun to be around. I know! Because that is what happened to me when I quit. And I have a slight disagreement with you on the "that's how I get my goodies" concept. Firstly, you might want to redefine, to yourself, what that word "goodies" means. Second, you get them by finding them. I've seen you post some wonderful stuff, from a park, a school, etc. You didn't knock on any door for those "goodies".

In any case, more power to you! Just make sure you give Dave a chance to find a war nickel. Ok? ;)

My thread title opened this can of worms...., I guess I sounded ungrateful

most of the people not answering doors came from homes with no cars, also we had a couple similar situations with vehicles in the driveway, this happened at 2 large farms, probly too busy working to see people at the door. We don't literally go door to door like a jehovas witness or salesman, we drive a bit and when we spot that perfect looking place, like what you see here: 20150415_092150.jpg we try knocking. and on to the next

as far as the goodies comment I made, I guess that was wrongly worded. everyone is happy and content with different things, me I LOVE old coins/relics, and I LOVE finding them, heck who doesn't? I have literally 1 park that ive got a few things from worth mentioning besides clad, that place is about half the size of a football field, and yes.....its drying up. So that's why I door knock, im sorry but no Northeastern Pennsylvania park anywhere is going to turn up an 1822 large cent, or civil war infantry button. My best coin EVER 1794 Spanish 1/2 reale came from a private property permission. I simply just am not happy with 1.46 in dirtly clad coins, if I was I wouldn't have spent nearly 4 grand in 2 1/2 years on equipment, gas mileage, etc as I pursued this hobby further

point is, dave and I picked the wrong area at the wrong time, but we still came away with a few finds.

I didn't want to sound like I was knocking others techniques, or their likes, what I meant to say is until I find that one place that keeps giving, I will continue to door knock, and knock, and knock.

as far as the war nickel for dave is concerned, I guess the search continues.....

Last edited:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thread title opened this can of worms...., I guess I sounded ungrateful

Nah. You had a perfectly nice lil posting. It's just me. I have too much time on my hands to think. Makes it hard to keep myself from
opening cans of worms. :dontknow:

Some, are in this as an investment. Hence all the money being spent to get that edge. Some, just for the exercise.

If it helps, I tend to go for a certain type of hunt each time out. Old, coins, gold, jewelry, relics, and yes, even clad. But, I know that up
front and that keeps my expectations under control. I'm not in it for profit, but won't turn up my nose if found. ;)

I try to do things to prolong this hobby. As if I have any control! Doing the right things, cleaning up, trash, etc. I;m just concerned that the trend
is to end this hobby. People's opinions are negative in general. But, it won't happen in my lifetime. :dontknow:

Kudos!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Just make sure you give Dave a chance to find a war nickel. Ok? ;)"

Well, no war nick again today. I tried, I really did. I dug every nickel signal the old ATP gave me, and I found a no date Buff and a modern Jefferson. The search continues...

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I feel like we did knock on the right one...just no one answered lol. We saw some very beautiful and old farm houses in our trip today. We both agree we should give another try.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Just make sure you give Dave a chance to find a war nickel. Ok? ;)"

Well, no war nick again today. I tried, I really did. I dug every nickel signal the old ATP gave me, and I found a no date Buff and a modern Jefferson. The search continues...

I wonder. I tend to find quite a few of these but the signals are all over the place, VDI speaking.
I use the Iron Audio and usually no discrimination.

Sometimes I find these because of an iffy nickel-ish signal but sometimes all I get is an Iron Audio grunt in one direction and a tab in another.

Is there something to the idea that either there is some iron in some of these? Or that, maybe, they take on iron properties from nails nearby or
the minerals? :dontknow:

I suspect I find more than the norm simply because of where I'm hunting. Not the types of places, but my home court, so to speak.

Do you eliminate signals by the Iron Audio? Or maybe less than a certain VDI? Just curious why you haven't found one.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't been using Iron Audio, no discrimination. Because I have been finding flat buttons, I dig just about anything with a repeatable number over 45 that doesn't have a total iron grunt. Because of the silver, I would imagine war nicks have a bit higher tone than a regular nick.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been using Iron Audio, no discrimination. Because I have been finding flat buttons, I dig just about anything with a repeatable number over 45 that doesn't have a total iron grunt. Because of the silver, I would imagine war nicks have a bit higher tone than a regular nick.

I'm sure if you keep going as you are, you'll find one if you get over it. But, this coin does seem to have some strange signals. I just took 3 of them and did a quick air test. 2 of them hit at 53. Typical nickel signal. But, one of them, hit at 61-63. Still, in the ground, I get some very strange signals for these. Some of them even give me an iron grunt! I guess it's the ground I'm in. :dontknow:
I have found a couple that only rang up at 42 though. They were a bit deep and had an iron-ish sound. Usually, 52 is the typical nickel hit. Unfortunately, so are pull tabs. :dontknow:

Keep continuing, it'll happen and I'll even go this far, to say it WILL happen, THIS year! :)

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have yet to encounter a property owner that has wanted anything I have found. Some make it clear up front they wish to see the finds because they are curious. In my opinion, if they make that request beforehand, we owe them that courtesy. I will always offer any finds that I feel have a personal connection to the owner. I have showed silver rings that they did not recognize, I have given military buttons that were worn by relatives, I gave a little brass cow pin to an elderly man whose grandfather ran a dairy operation many years prior. I guess we all live with our own conscience. We have to make the decision we can lie down and sleep with at night. Everyone is different.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure if you keep going as you are, you'll find one if you get over it. But, this coin does seem to have some strange signals. I just took 3 of them and did a quick air test. 2 of them hit at 53. Typical nickel signal. But, one of them, hit at 61-63. Still, in the ground, I get some very strange signals for these. Some of them even give me an iron grunt! I guess it's the ground I'm in. :dontknow:
I have found a couple that only rang up at 42 though. They were a bit deep and had an iron-ish sound. Usually, 52 is the typical nickel hit. Unfortunately, so are pull tabs. :dontknow:

Keep continuing, it'll happen and I'll even go this far, to say it WILL happen, THIS year! :)

Thanks Gary. As long as I am having fun, it's a good hunt. Chris and I laughed a lot today. We saw some beautiful old Pa barns and buildings...we even pondered the Amish and Mennonite way of life since we were in their area and spoke to 3 young ones who were doing some beautiful work in an old barn remodel. I have been a little luckier lately with relics than coins and I am happy with that. There are still many relic items I am looking for too lol.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, a day of digging up a silver coin, and a nickel over 100 years old sounds pretty good to me!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what drives me!, someday we WILL hit that jackpot!

Ok, so disappointing for you, awesome for some.... my question is what is etiquette for asking to dig someones yard? Do you offer them part of the take? Do you just get a yes and leave with what you find or do you show and offer to buy what you find? How does this verbal contract play out when you find enough silver you dont want to share with owner?
I should've reworded my post, I'm happy with the finds, just disappointed with the amount of no's and no answers we got, we were in amazingly old properties, just no one home, kinda like waving a t-bone in a dog's face lol. And like dave said I always tell the owners I'll show them whatever I find and they're more than welcome to take whatever they want
You know, a day of digging up a silver coin, and a nickel over 100 years old sounds pretty good to me!
Yeah after I made this post I kinda thought "ehh, it could've been worse" lol oh well

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions