🥇 BANNER AHABS WHITE WHALE: 1652 PINE TREE & 1664 COB

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day! I woke up very early and headed out. Had to stop for a 9 volt at a local store. There was a cop car sitting there with the number 8 on the side. I am extremely superstitious and 8 is my lucky number. In fact, I'm so superstitious that if I set an alarm or the microwave it has to end in 8. And when I go detecting I won't get out of my truck until the time ends in 8. Ok now that you all know how psychotic I am I can get to the finds. I got into the woods and instantly got lost. Lost for about 2 hours and my phone had no reception so I couldn't use google earth. I finally got myself oriented and got into the area I wanted to be in. The finds came slow but there was no modern trash so that was nice. I got a couple of deep round balls the found nothing about an hour. I decided I was going to just get down by the water and walk the edge. I've had some luck doing this in the past. Barely any signals at all. At one point the edge of the bank gave way and down I went. Got myself back up the hill and realized my setting had gotten screwed up. So I got my machine set up again and a couple minutes later I got a deep signal. Not a very good signal. But I dug a couple inches off the top and scanned it again. It sounded much better after that. I dug a nice big plug and it was still down below. Finally I got ahold of the object and pulled it out. I don't want to sound over dramatic here but some dirt fell off the coin and I could clearly see the branches of the tree. I swear I couldn't breath for a few seconds. I knew I had just dug Lifetime #1. On my wish list. It's a feeling that I can't put into words and for anybody who's felt it....well it's just incredible. Put that baby in my keeper case and finally regained my composure. I took a few steps and got another deep signal. Once I fought through the roots for about 20 minutes I got my fingers on a very thin disc. I pulled it out and had no idea what it was. I thought I could see a design but just packed it into another keeper case and carried on. A few minuts later I found a copper coin and a very old button.
I know how stupid this is going to sound but I'm gonna tell you guys anyway. After about 20 minutes I honestly had to look in my case because I just could not believe what I had just found. After I got home I emailed IP for some advice. He graciously helped me with some advice and a bit later and put both of the coins in lemon juice. I could not believe that the other mystery disc was a 1664 cob, another lifetime wish list find. And I am so damn happy to have a hammered coin in my collection.
Today was an absolute dream come true and the pay off for tons of research and lots of hours hiking through the woods digging holes. I'm glad I was able to share this day with my Tnet friends. You've all been very supportive.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 172

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe - That's not banner - That's SUPER BANNER!!! :notworthy: The first image of seeing your Pine Tree shilling fresh out of the whole is no doubt burned into you memory forever. Congrats on making not one, but two fantastic 17th century coin recoveries that represent the best of what New England can offer. The detail and toning on the Pine Tree shilling is awesome. I'm glad that all your time and effort has paid off. Keep researching, keep digging, and the big finds will come. In regards to the superstition with number eight - hey, it looks like it's working for you. What else matters. I hope you have more luck on a return trip. I'd be pitching a tent at that site. Best of Luck. Voting Banner!

Roustabout 14

Oct 13, 2014
Baton Rouge
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030, Whites v3, whites vx3, minelab se pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hats off to you on a might fine job Sir.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just can't think of anything to say except WOW and congratulations for sure.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OMG Abe! :occasion14:
What an amazing find buddy... I'm voting BANNER!

Congrats,
Dave

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing, Incredible, Outstanding!!! Banner :wav:

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, gray ghost headphones,
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
Excellent finds AHab!!!! Truly a dream hunt there...just the tree coin alone is an obvious banner but the cob an copper really top it off nicely! Yea id hold back on the cleaning just yet...That tree coin is one of the nicer ones I've seen so needless to say you're gunna want to treat it with the best care. A HUGE CONGRATS, you will be up on that banner shortly!!!

digndeep

Jul 28, 2014
cambridge,md
Detector(s) used
Xp ORX, whites v3, whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very well done sir!catch your breath???I woulda passed out!congrats!!

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Wow, incredible finds Ahab. Definitely a hunt to remember given that either coin in and of itself is a super recovery. Both in one hunt? That's going to be tough to beat.

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
Just seen this, first time on here since early this morning. What can i say that hasn't been said by 67 other members, congrats on a couple of coins most people only dream of finding. Has my BANNER vote also.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh By the way...I love that heading!!!!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe, your metal detecting adventures have reached epic level--you are the Indiana Jones of our hobby. Congrats on the adventure of a lifetime.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh By the way...I love that heading!!!!
Ha I've been waiting for this very day to bust that one out. Wanted to save it for something special like a capped bust or a chain cent....but I guess these will have to do lol

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow maybe I should be more superstitious. Awesome finds. I would go back to that spot a lot more. There is more there for sure.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
........Because seven 8 Nine, there's a joke in there somewhere!
Awesome! Congratulations!
The copper looks like a NJ copper to me?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I need to start watching the clock on my dashboard when I get ready to go detecting. Banner.

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear lord!!! Congratulations Abe! I'm speechless bro. You deserve it. BANNER!! Find of a lifetime!

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out standing! Don't know if anyone said this but, but in my book that's one of those "Holy Grail" finds of Metal Detecting. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread