Ahh, The Tools Question..

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, you can get trowels and diggers from any of those places that will suffice. A screwdriver is the weapon of choice as a coin probe for many MDers here. Welcome aboard BTW 8)

OP
OP
F

fahrenheit

that is great to hear True metal.

I can't wait to hear more ideas on this. And the exact kind of tools, a must have.

fahrenheit

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
I use a standard garden trowl that I got from WalMart to dig the plugs. I did, however, use a grinder to make the edges a little sharper. A lot of people use a long knife (such as a survival knife). This will work better than mine because you can get a knife with a rough side that will be used to cut through small tree roots and such. I have to carry a seperate knife for this.
Anything that works for you is great. Use your imagination. Walk around the Garden Center of WalMart and think, "What could I use this for"?
Good luck.
xXx

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Myself, I prefer a long knife w/the tang as part of the blade that goes all the way ro end of handle and just as wide. Otherwise you run the risk of cutting yourself if it breaks. If you go with a garden trowel, buy one a little sturdier than you think you want or you'll spend more time in the garden sect. than the hunt field.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Stoney got it right. If you decide to go with a knife, heed everything that Stoney says about the knife's construction. You'll find yourself "leaning" on the knife in rocky conditions. It does not need to be sharp, matter of fact, any new knife that I purchase is purposely dulled.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found that a wide bladed garden trowel from the hardware store works as well as anything. The long skinny ones tend to bend easily. I too sharpened the blade so it would cut through turf easier. I also carry an old WWII Mauser bayonet with about a foot long blade that helps me dig down a little deeper and loosen the soil, then lift the loose dirt out with the wide bladed garden trowel. The bayonet is very sturdy and not likely to bend or break. You have to be careful if recovering valuable coins as the bayonet will sure scratch them easily. I would think an old fashioned ice pic would suffice for a probe and should easily penetrate most soil. Just a few things I have discovered useful.

O

ol ploock

I use a very large bowie knife for digging and a serrated (garage sale special) knife to cut the outline of the plug. Works okay where I coin hunt.

Roy

michinkae

Nov 22, 2004
New York
Detector(s) used
whites DFX and XLT
A piece of advice from a seasoned MDer. Dont use a screwdiver to poke around for coins. if you do, you will scratch the coin and cause the find to be less impressive and less valuable. Get a standard coin probe that is intended for probing. its a little extra money but worth it in the long run.
http://www.whiteselectronics.com/miscaccw.php

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
I think that the tools you use are decided by the site you are digging. I use a " DIG IT" knife/trowell combo for most things. I keep a sharp spare in my truck. A lot of the older yards around here are quack grass. It is tougher than shag carpet & it takes a sharp tool to dig in it. I have used a shovel ( I perfer a drain spade- narrow long blade & tough) in construction sites or places that don't need to be manicured when you leave, or a sifter type digger on the beach. You can keep a varity of tools in the truck, but you can't ever carry enough with you on the hunt. If you get good at pin pointing you can save a lot of digging. To each his own. Spotz

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Probe- 4' awl, dulled, rounded and smoothed at the tip. If you are going to probe beyond two or three inches, better to cut a plug and not risk damage to a nice coin.

Cutting plugs-keyhole or drywall saw, thick handled. The easiest, most economical tool I've found yet. Easily carried as well.

Trowels- heavy guage steel only. All those thin ones are great if you want to keep their mfrs in business. The light ones are intended for cultivated soil, not working in the field.

Eventually you will find the need for a pick or entrenching tool when working in some environments. Some Target or Wal-Mart stores have a cheapo folding shovel/pick for about 10 bucks. The rivets tend to give on the shovel side but the pick side will work well enough unless you're going through rock. I've been through 4 of them in a dozen or so years of using them, they are useful in rocky stream beds, certain packed gravel and when you come across old blacktop under the dirt. The desired option is one of the nice Estwing rock picks but you've got to have the budget for it! Mine was about 60 bucks. I use a lot of tools depending on the environment but for most hunting the probe and keyhole saw do the trick.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of graveled parking lots near parks or old construction sites. I haven't figured how to easily get down into the gravel yet. Any ideas? JIM

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I mentioned the cheap $10 folding pick/shovel at Target in the camping section. It works very well in that situation. A large heavy screwdriver and something to pound it into the really heavy pack can also help.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Buy a Lesche digging tool and you will never need another cheap spade again. This is the best tool I have ever used. You can find them from $30 up. I also would not want to detect with out a good pinpointer
tool. The time you save with a good digging tool and a good pinpointer will more than pay for its self in extra hunting time. These are the two tools I use the most. I also have a flat screwdriver that has been rounded off to probe shallow targets. When you probe any coin you do risk damaging it. Good coins are not always deep either. I found a 43 mercury dime with the edge of it sticking out of the soil right beside a large tree last week. I think the roots had pushed it up.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
free2Dtect said:
Check out the tools the professionals use!
Where can I get one of them "FREE", Maby I wouldn't keep Banging My Knockels Digging them deep targets I get With My Sovereign ;D :lol ; jeff

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol ............. "aaaah, It's gotta be here somewhere ?" :D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post them in "EVERYTHING ELSE" but keep 'em "Friendly" So I don't have to use my "MAGIC DELETE BUTTON" ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread