Air tests with mercury dime - five detectors

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
mere common sense tells you that air has less items to bother the detectors than the soil does ---so the best preformance will be air test of course ( real world depth should be less that of the air test in the due to the "ground's minerals and such")--- however in real world "ground testing" some brands of detectors do handle some types of soils better than others, thus they vary in depth from brand to brand -- alot depends on many "ground" factors where the machines going to be used and the price range your willing to pay also as to which one model is "best" -- all of the preset GB models --- (which are the low end priced models for the most part) --- generally have trouble in salt water beach or high mineral areas -- often lowering the sensitivity in the case of the Ace 250 to 2 bars ---or lower the power/sen to just on and uping the disc in the case of bounty hunter models will help stabilize the machines making them usible --- not the best choice for the job mind you--- but if thats all you got, you'll just have to make do with it --- Ivan

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Badger,
That's always been my way of thinking. That's why I said a detector should detect in the ground "up" to the air test depth. Nice info you have.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
khouse said:
Badger,
That's always been my way of thinking. That's why I said a detector should detect in the ground "up" to the air test depth. Nice info you have.

Yes, the optimum depth for any VLF is the best air distance.

Once in a great while, we get our optimum depth. Everything is just right.

The sad thing is, some think they're always getting optimum depth. In the real world most VLF's are doing well to hit a dime at 6 inches. Under most excellent conditions we're getting 30% of air distance. So, if your machine air tests a quarter at 10 inches, you're most likely hunting at 7 inches max.

So, why are so many people finding such great old stuff? Simple; most old stuff isn't nearly as deep as we think.

To get great consistant depth one needs a quality PI detector. These get about twice the depth of most VLF detectors but suffer from the lack of discrimination.

Probably the next generation hobby detectors will be PI units with greatly improved discrimination abilities.

BFO - TR - VLF - PI - ?

Badger

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Case and point. 6 months ago I was detecting a 100 year old house. I stuck my coil way under a prickly bush. Bamm! A zinc hit. Loud and clear. I knew it was shallow. I reached under and scraped the dirt with my fingers no more than 1/2 deep. I look in my hand and there's an Indian looking back at me!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
indain often come in under zinc cut out zinc miss the indains often times

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
oh no doubt it PI machines are the masters of depth, however they are also the dig every dang thing master --- if you want to dig it all then the PI machines your baby --- what most folks want is a light wieght machine that can discrimate well and is easy to use with decent depth that doesn't cost a arm and a leg and thats usible in all soil conditions (ie has a manual ground balance option) ===failing that a cheaper fixed GB unit usible in most conditions --- (basically a Ace 250 ) and maybe the F2 I am hearing alot about----Ivan

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
ivan salis said:
oh no doubt it PI machines are the masters of depth, however they are also the dig every dang thing master --- if you want to dig it all then the PI machines your baby --- what most folks want is a light wieght machine that can discrimate well and is easy to use with decent depth that doesn't cost a arm and a leg and thats usible in all soil conditions (ie has a manual ground balance option) ===failing that a cheaper fixed GB unit usible in most conditions --- (basically a Ace 250 ) and maybe the F2 I am hearing alot about----Ivan

Yep, I too have high hopes for that F-2.

Mine comes in this week.

Badger

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Let's see which detector gives us manual GB adjustment first? Fisher F2 or Garrett 250. Which ever one gets it out first wins. I'm talking GB in both the all metal and disc modes.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
khouse said:
Let's see which detector gives us manual GB adjustment first? Fisher F2 or Garrett 250. Which ever one gets it out first wins. I'm talking GB in both the all metal and disc modes.

Yes! If they offered the F-2 at $200 with ground balance in discrimination mode that's all anyone would ever need.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm--Badger, I am thinking an F2 with GB would be the same as an F4.
Correct me if I am mistaken.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yes the F4 is basically the F2 with manual GB abilities --- but at a bit more than about double the price $200 vs $425 ---F2 vs F4---- (plus a 4 in coil with the $200 buck F2 deal package )

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
The F4 has 11 notches the F2 has 8. But the f4 adjustable GB is only for the auto tune all metal mode - not the disc mode. So that's why I bought the F2. So we need an GB that adjusts both the disc and all metal mode.

kydave

Oct 7, 2006
The Troy X-5 will double all those measurements! That's why all the Relic hunter's are wanting them. I've seen some used ones still bringing the new price! And as far as i know they don't make'em anymore!

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
So the Troy can pick up a dime in an air test at 20 inches? ??? I can understand a deep no frills machine for relic hunting. But for coin and jewelry just give me a TID machine that's good to 6 inches. As for the Troy you speak of was that actually measured?

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
khouse said:
The F4 has 11 notches the F2 has 8. But the f4 adjustable GB is only for the auto tune all metal mode - not the disc mode. So that's why I bought the F2. So we need an GB that adjusts both the disc and all metal mode.

Good info khouse----So I guess when hunting in discriminate mode the F2 and F4 both have preset ground balance and are basicly the same.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Merf,
That's correct. That's why I saved money buying the F2. I don't hunt much in true all metal any way. I do hunt in disc all metal.

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
khouse said:
Merf,
That's correct. That's why I saved money buying the F2. I don't hunt much in true all metal any way. I do hunt in disc all metal.

Same here Khouse----I think you made the right choice---The F2 is the one to buy.
I just may spring for one come springtime.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
khouse said:

I hadn't even looked into the ground balance on the F-4 yet. Thanks for the info. Glad I bought the F-2.

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
I've got 2 troy x5s and I figure about 10" as a rough guess it may go a little better but not much at 19 kHz . Where it does great is in the parks sniffing out clad and gold its very fast and stable. Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread