Help with a decesion for first MD

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Hello everyone. I figure this has been posted before but I couldn't find it. My husband and I have decided to take up MD'ing and he would also like to pan for gold. I have been reading all the post that I can and have found some wonderful but, confusing advice.

I personally would like a light weight MD that is good for hunting coins, and relics. I've been thinking about the Ace Pro with 2 coils for myself. On the other hand my husband wants something he can use in water to find gold nuggets, coins, and maybe use at the beach. I thought about him getting a Cobra Beach Magnet.

What do you all think of the MD's I am looking at? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you,
Pepper :)

Willy

The Ace will disappoint you when it comes to prospecting.. unless you set your sights really, really low. The Cobra beach magnet, AFAIK, comes under the heading of 'bad joke'. If you want a multipurpose detector, with prospecting tossed in, the main contenders would be (in my opinion): XTerra 70, MXT, LST, M6, Vaquero, and maybe the Sov. GT/CZ's.. and in basically that order. There are other detectors, but I'm not gonna list them all. They're great on land and can be used for wading. When it comes to water machines, you gotta determine what you're hunting for and where. You're more limited with an underwater detctor when it comes to features. Will you be hunting saltwater or fresh, or both, and do you also plan to prospect with it. ..Willy.

OP
OP
Pepper2004

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Thanks, for responding , Willy. I'm not going to be prospecting. I wish to look for only coins, relics, jewelry, (and of course trash :) )
My husband on the other hand wants to prospect for gold as well as look for the things I mentioned above. Most of the time he will be in fresh water and once in awhile at the beach at the edge of the water. If I am at the beach I'll be looking where people lay and tan. So I'm not as you see looking for a water machine for myself.

I'll research those that you kindly mentioned. I'd like to keep the price of mine in the $300 range. My husband is willing to spend $1000 on his.

I might also mention my husband is retired and has Parkinson Disease. I'm thinking without skimping on value that he needs a light weight MD.

We will be getting our machines sometimes in January and I look forward to sharing our goodies. I'm still open to suggestions if any others feel incline to share. Tks......Pepper

Willy

Well, I'd think about the XTerras. There are some used ones out there at reasonable prices. If hubby were to get an XTerra 70 (because of the prospecting aspect) and you an XT50, you could save on coils and swap if you need to. Both detectors are very light and use 4 AA batteries. Another detector to look into (not for prospecting, but coin/ring/relic) is the Fisher F4. There's a lot of hype surrounding the new detectors, but the F4 seems to be a decent detector and comes with 3 coils (Christmas special). It's over the magic $300 mark but Hey! you're getting 2 extra coils (and an extra lower rod. Some would advise you to get an F2 or Ace250, but they have limits (though good starter detectors) and might just be a disappointment when the ground gets 'tough'. Personally between those 2 lower end detectors, I'd pick the Ace250 'cause it has a programmable setting that it retains when turned off. It also has 12 notches instead of 8. The F2 has one more tone, but that wouldn't make much of a difference to me. ..Willy.

OP
OP
Pepper2004

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Re: Help with a decision buying our first MD's

Willy, a big thank you! You have given me models to compare and hopefully make the right decision for our needs. The $300 price I chose isn't written in stone. It's more or less a price I picked for my first MD. Thank you for all your help and happy hunting.
When we buy I'll let you know our decision.

Thanks,
Pepper

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
Pepper...iv owned 3 Tesoro Tiger Sharks.they are an awsome water detector that work as well on land.they are one of a few detectors that will pick up gold chains,and i have found BB size gold with it.it also has the choice to change coils and head phones,where other water detectors are hard wired.they have a good lifetime warranty thats hard to beat..good luck,and stay away from the Viper and its sister detector as they are junk!

lessthanzero

Aug 17, 2007
Southern AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra's, they are the BEST......
Pepper, Your needs have described the Minelab X-Terra's. I also have a handicap and also needed a lightweight detector that can "do it all", at least in my mind.......anyway, I am using the X-Terra's and find that they are everything I had hoped for. For him the X-Terra 70, and for you, either the X-Terra 30 (really easy to use), or the X-Terra 50 if you want to use the high frequency coil. I can't say enough good things about the X-Terra series of detectors, and no, I don't work for Minelab....I'm retired and having a blast........Have fun with what ever you guys purchase. This is such a fun and addicting hobby. HH, lessthanzero

OP
OP
Pepper2004

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Dixie Digger, thanks for your input. I did research the Tesoro Tiger Sharks today. Am I correct in saying they weigh about 41\2 lbs?
It's a neat machine but if I got the weight correct, that would be to heavy. My husband is a large man but tires easy since he got sick.
As for myself I'm small boned and weight would be a factor for myself as well. I haven't veto the Tiger yet however. It does have some options that I really like.

Thanks for your helping me.

OP
OP
Pepper2004

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Hi, lessthanzero! Thank you for your insight. So far the X-Terra 70, 50, and 30 are in the lead. I've checked all of them out but the 30.
I could rush out and buy something, but I promised myself I would go slow and make the best decision for the $$$'s. I can hardly wait. This is something my husband and I have been wanting to do for a long time. We have some wonderful places to hunt when the big day comes.

Don't laugh, but yesterday I got a long handled screwdriver and dug along my fence line practicing digging holes and covering them up neatly. ::) I found an old bottle cap, broken screwdriver, and lots of rocks!

Thanks,
Pepper

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
Pepper2004 said:
Dixie Digger, thanks for your input. I did research the Tesoro Tiger Sharks today. Am I correct in saying they weigh about 41\2 lbs?
It's a neat machine but if I got the weight correct, that would be to heavy. My husband is a large man but tires easy since he got sick.
As for myself I'm small boned and weight would be a factor for myself as well. I haven't veto the Tiger yet however. It does have some options that I really like.

Thanks for your helping me. thats the other thing good about the Tiger Shark.the controll box comes off the shaft and fits on a belt so the weight is very little on your arm.just the shaft and coil.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
From what you have written I agree with the others that the Minelab X-Terra's are for you.

I personally think the Sovereign GT is the world's best VLF coin/ring machine but it's a little on the heavy side for some.

Badger

OP
OP
Pepper2004

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Thank you, Badger. The Minelab X Terra's seem to be in the lead. I appreciate your taking time to clue me in on what you think would be a good machine for our needs.

OP
OP
Pepper2004

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Dixie Digger, I'm going to research more into that Tiger Shark today. I noticed you live in NC. We have plans to visit that area later on.
Lots of beautiful streams up your way. In fact we where there last year minus the metal detectors.

Thanks,
Pepper

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
If you're looking for a light weight md the Prizm series weighs about 2.3 lbs. I've got a II and a V both good machines although the II only has 1 tone, the V has 7 tones with an option of 3. Price range, 200.00 - 580.00.
the pinpointing with both md's is dead on. Good luck with your decision

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread