Airline travel with metal detector

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
??? I'm planning a trip to Alaska in July 2008 and plan on taking my Minelab XT18000 and don't really trust the luggage handlers. Should I separate the coil from the control box making it useless and leave the batteries in the luggage. Last time I took a metal detector was before 9-11 and I was able to take it as carry on. My last trip to Alaska, the TSA agent was so paranoid about my external camcorder battery that she was going to confiscate it until a Manager deemed it safe.
I work in the Security field and made reports out on personal items that were packed in luggage and disappeared somewhere between the airport and the resort. Can't lock the luggage as it has to be inspected. Or should I call TSA? I don't want my detector getting pulled because a inexperienced baggage scanner see's a box full of wires. :o What do you do when you travel? Thanks! :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FLauthor

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes, it can be broken down and placed in a detector bag. Just have to be sure I store the batteries and knife and digger in the luggage. It's just the stir the bag causes when you run it through the xray machine but people take their lap tops with them and they have just as much electronics as a detector.
I'll just call TSA and check with them. Thanks. ;D

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FLauthor said:
??? I'm planning a trip to Alaska in July 2008 and plan on taking my Minelab XT18000 and don't really trust the luggage handlers. Should I separate the coil from the control box making it useless and leave the batteries in the luggage. Last time I took a metal detector was before 9-11 and I was able to take it as carry on. My last trip to Alaska, the TSA agent was so paranoid about my external camcorder battery that she was going to confiscate it until a Manager deemed it safe.
I work in the Security field and made reports out on personal items that were packed in luggage and disappeared somewhere between the airport and the resort. Can't lock the luggage as it has to be inspected. Or should I call TSA? I don't want my detector getting pulled because a inexperienced baggage scanner see's a box full of wires. :o What do you do when you travel? Thanks! :)

FLauthor: check out this post. I got some good feedback.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,137091.msg971138.html#msg971138
-matt

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I break it down and pack it in my carry on. The digger/knife goes in the checked baggage. 5 trips and no problems and/or questions from TSA

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am really surprised that the airlines would allow a metal detector on a plane as a carry on. Security is so strict, they could easily call it an explosive device in disguise. Just my take on it. Has anyone ever had a problem taking a metal detector on a plane?

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nope. I take it apart and take the battery out. 5 trips with it as carry on and not a single problem

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread