Airplanes Airplanes Airplanes

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Normally, at my new job working for an private aviation company, and as a retired Air Force guy, I don't get to excited about seeing airplanes.

But this weekend has been a little different. There is an Air Show/Open House at Malmstrom AFB this weekend - and although there is no active runway at Malmstrom they will still have some flying events highlighted by the Canadian Snowbirds Demonstration Team.

All the demonstration aircraft are being staged where I now work so I got lots of face time with planes, pilots, and a pile of other VIPs alike. It's been a fun few days...

I'm avoiding the airshow traffic and hoopla but since I was right there this morning I walked out and snapped these shots for you guys to enjoy (with some notes of course). :)

The Jelly Belly plane!

jellybelly.JPG

This pilot is awesome, he's spent the last two days shooting the bull with me and hanging out... anyways, this is what he does (youtube film):

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/jelly-belly-flight-at-reno-nevada-sept-2007/2779215969

USAF West Coast Demonstration Team A-10s... A coupla nice pics. How-about those guns? Close up of the GAU-8/A 30mm cannon, capable of firing 3,900 rounds per minute... "you can run - but why die tired?"

A-10.JPG

A-10guns.JPG

More information about this team: http://www.dm.af.mil/units/westcoasta-10demoteam/index.asp

Snowbirds... an outstanding demonstration team. Before retiring last year I was watching this team practive over the base while off duty with a friend. Unfortunetly while performing a routine manuever upsidedown at 300 feet one pilot's seatbelt failed and I was front row seating for the results. My partner and I were the first police responders along with the fire department to the scene and I can tell you I have a spot in my heart for this Canadian Team. Thank you for your service Captain Shawn McCaughey, Age 31... R.I.P. :'(

And - Glad to see the team again this year!

snowbirds.JPG

snowbirds2.JPG

More about this team here: http://www.snowbirds.forces.gc.ca/site/index_e.asp

A-1 Skyraider Forgetaboutit!

This Skyraider does a flying demonstration with an A-10 that is very cool...

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

As always - I hope you liked the pictures...

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Great Shots Jimmy...

Love the Hog...That Gun is Righteous...

Up at the Lake of the Ozarks we get to see those bad boys have a little fun...

Thanks for sharing my friend...

Very Nice,

Nick

Thanks Nick! There is nothing like the "burp" of an A-10 spittin' bullits... way too cool.

wesfrye53 said:
Jim,

I'm envious! You really got i"in the face" of those awesome machines!

Great photos. :thumbsup:

Thanks Wes! Next year I hope to be the guy refueling them when they come here.

It was fun having the place to myself for pictures with ZERO crowd. :thumbsup:

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Montana Jim said:
Snowbirds... an outstanding demonstration team. Before retiring last year I was watching this team practive over the base while off duty with a friend. Unfortunetly while performing a routine manuever upsidedown at 300 feet one pilot's seatbelt failed and I was front row seating for the results. My partner and I were the first police responders along with the fire department to the scene and I can tell you I have a spot in my heart for this Canadian Team. Thank you for your service Captain Shawn McCaughey, Age 31... R.I.P. :'(

More about this team here: http://www.snowbirds.forces.gc.ca/site/index_e.asp

Hoooeh! Snowbirds! As a Canadian and proud of our military heritage I've seen these guys preform before. Awesome stuff. I do remember reading about Cpt McCaughey.... sad day for us.

Thanks for the pics, great stuff man!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Zesty, I'm glad your new job is such an interesting one. It should would make the work days go by quicker. :thumbsup:

Beautiful pictures and great information. Has it warmed up in Montana yet?? :icon_scratch:

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Jim,

They were in Pittsburgh last Sunday. I was working as an Emergeny Medical Technician at the Pittsburgh Air Show when It started to storm. We modified our hospital hanger so that the Snowbirds could move the planes inside. Great bunch of guys those pilots. They helped us and we helped them. Their show was fabulous on Saturday. I look forward to working with them again next year.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics, Jim. I love airshows, the Jelly Belly is colorful. I've never seen the Snowbirds perform but I do love watching the performances of the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds. The Confederate Air Force puts on a great performance too. Thanks for sharing with us.

:wink: RR

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
RON (PA) said:
Jim,

They were in Pittsburgh last Sunday. I was working as an Emergeny Medical Technician at the Pittsburgh Air Show when It started to storm. We modified our hospital hanger so that the Snowbirds could move the planes inside. Great bunch of guys those pilots. They helped us and we helped them. Their show was fabulous on Saturday. I look forward to working with them again next year.
Ron, I was at the Airshow on Saturday, but didn't stay for the Snowbirds. Dragging two kids around wears a man out.

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Thanks for the comments everyone... it was cool being around these guys for a few days.

I see it's some new stuff for a few folks and some memories for others... :thumbsup:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the Skyraider. We had some of those on board the USS Constellation during Vietnam. We used them for recon, dropping 500-pounders and protecting downed pilots. They also dropped napalm. There is quite the prop wash when you are standing behind them. Navy had a neater paint job though. ;D

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Wow...those are some incredible planes Zesty! Thanks so much for giving us the tour too!

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics of the A-10's...A group of them were stationed at the Myrtle Beach AFB several years ago...and as you probably know, that base went straight to the closure list. They are quite impressive flying over the ocean..guess those guys in the tanks didn't care to hear about them flying around. Hmm...come to think of it..those guys in the tanks probably never knew.......... :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions