Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:D Well....I'd tell ya if I knew where they were! :D

I did happen to stumble upon one site that had a few keepers...dumb luck really! I found a button that as of today is identified as an Indian War button. The site where I found it was at the bottom side of a pasture. I got curious as to what might be at the top, so I climbed to the top and found Eagle buttons and toe plates! I was shocked to say the least! Got quite a few keepers from there but they were scarce. I really don't think anyone else has known about the site, but who knows? Then I went to Cullman and hunted at Crooked Creek a couple of times....very scarce finds from there as it has been hunted hard, but a couple of weeks ago Lisa and I went and she found a three ringer and I a percussion cap. Not much, but fun to find and neat just to go there.

Nana :)

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nana, sounds like you found a camp site. Way to go! I've been doing a lot of research since I got back into MDing just in the last two months and while there weren't many battles in this state, it did seem to have a lot of troop movement through it. Where there is movement there are camps and where there were camps, there are relics.

dnewbury2

Mar 20, 2004
Cherokee, AL, Occupied C.S.A.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Tesoro Golden Sabre and Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live near the big cavalry camp in Gravelly Springs, AL and the main problem I have is with the land changing hands and the new owners posting it. What part of the state are you in, Canewrap? I am in Lauderdale County, west of Florence.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Newbury! 8) You live in a great area of the state for CW hunting! :o I'm sure you have seen this site, but just in case I'll post it anyhow. Let me know if you need any help once you gain permission..... and I am quite sure there are other Bama hunters that would be willing to help you out too!!!! ;D

Nana :)

http://www.nostalgiaville.com/travel/Alabama/florence/florence al.htm

Ty

Oct 12, 2004
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's IDX, Custom Water Detector, White's Coinmaster, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canewrap,

There are still plenty of CW sites to hunt in AL. The problem is getting permission to enter the property. Many owners have experienced problems with the TH'ers leaving holes, leaving gates open and the place generally trashed when the people leave.

A case in point; some TH'ers made the mistake of revealing some private property that they gained permission to hunt. The person who this information was imparted to gained permission by using the first TH'ers name. The second group left the place trashed, uncovered holes, gates open, you name it.

Needless to say when the first group returned they were denied permission, questioned as to why they told anyone and told in no uncertain terms not to come back!!!

Unless you are well known to the local hunters, it may prove difficult to fine someone who will tell you about a place to hunt unless it is one of the few places with blanket permission.

Good luck.

HNY,
Ty

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, this is the kind of info I was looking for. :) I'm not being snooty or sarcastic when I say I don't need help to find sites. I was just looking for some feedback on what the state of affairs is, in this State, since up to this point I haven't been able to get anybody to talk about it. I live in the Monrovia, Harvest, area of Madison County, about 15 miles or so NW of Huntsville. I would be happy to talk to anybody in that area. I'm sorry to hear that some people are screwing it up for the rest of us. Guess the best way to get places to hunt is the same as the best way to get a job, NETWORK. People trust a whole lot better if you come with references they know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread