How do you do it ?

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe
How would you ask someone if it would be OK to hunt on their land? what do you say? Do you have better luck with older folks, farmers? Do you think the field on a farm are good spot for coins? What have you found that works for you?

Thanks DEEPDIGGEREXPII happy new year to all and to all a good hunt ;D

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
You explain that you enjoy finding items with your metal detector. You let them know that you properly dispose of all jumk items you find and that you always leave the property like you found it or better. It doesn't always work but you will get some go aheads. Good Luck and HH.

Cal

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A field may or may not be good for finding coins or artifacts depending on its past use. That's where research comes in. Ask the property owner if there was ever anything found there or if it was ever near or at a campsite or battle of the Civil War as an exmple. Sometime they don't know and then you have to depend on your research or just blind luck. Monty

Kimber23539

Dec 6, 2006
Crestview, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks for posting this question!!

While out yesterday looking for places to hunt, we passed a road we meant to turn onto. We ended up turning around in the driveway of an OLD house (had an old shed just behind it too). My Dad and I just stared at it, then we looked at each other and grinned. Of course we went ahead and left because we do need to ask permission and I plan to find out who to ask. There is a home next door (there's a thin strip of wooded area between the two properties), so as soon as I have some daylight I plan to talk to the neighbor and see if they can either point me in the right direction as to who to ask or I could get lucky and it be their property. I too was wondering how to get up the guts to ask.....I think I would do the following two things and then hope they didn't have a rabid pit bull to loose on me if their answer was no.

1. Tell them that my son got a new metal detector for Christmas and we wondered if it would be ok for us to go over and hunt the yard. Hopefully they would go for that and we'd be all set.
2. Clarify that we have no interest of entering the house whatsoever and we'd leave the yard just as it was(and pick up any trash we found).

fetz

Nov 27, 2004
lebanon,pa
Detector(s) used
ace 250/Tesoro Cortes/ Whites Bullseye pinpointer
;D

what else you can do is find yourself a partner and talk him into doiing it for you

this ranks right up there with having to do public speaking

OP
OP
DDEXPII

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe
thanks for the info i guess i have to just get the guts to ask.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread