Alkalines VS. Rechargables

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know this probably has come up a million times but I have not seen it. I use a Whites DFX and have both the regular battery pack and the rechargeable battery pack. I really don't perfer one over the other so I just grab the one I think has the better charge at the time. Now that I've been detecting for a year I was starting to think is one better then the other. I've never kept track of how well I do with each so I'm asking everyone here for their opinion on the question.

What is better alkaline batteries or rechargeable? (Assuming both have full charges.)

Thanks in advance for your input.

NJ

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, obviously rechargeables have their downside in that after recharging over and over for a long time, they just don't last as long. Alkalines are great, but overpriced for the one-time use they provide. I prefer the long-time use of the rechargeables and the costs savings that come along with them over normal alkalines any day of the week. Granted, I do always have an extra pair of rechargeables handy wherever I go, both for my detector and digital SLR camera. ;)

Bran <><

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I have the DFX as well. I always use alkaline batteries. They last longer and seem to operate at a slightly higher voltage than the rechargeable pack. I know enough about electronics to know that the battery voltage should not make a difference as long as they are above a minimum threshold so there should be no difference in operation with an alkaline pack with 11.8vdc level and a rechargeable pack at 11 or 10.9vdc level. I have not noticed a difference with the DFX but I have noticed a difference in my Infinity LS. When the battery voltage drops to about 10 vdc and change, the machine gets screwy. Lots more false signals and loss of ground balance. Maybe being a PI machine, it is different but I don't want to take the chance it may be affecting my DFX. I'm paying $6-$8 for 24 alkalines. It's not too bad.

Daryl

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
Rechargeable Nicads will develop a threshold memory. i.e. If you don't run them completely down, they'll have a shorter life on recharge.
I would suggest NicHi's.

That's my 2 wheats.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I'm trying a new battery on the market (well in this area anyway). They're an alkaline battery but has a voltage of 1.7 instead of 1.5. They're called the Panasonic Oxyride and really seem to last longer so far. After about 15 hr of use in the DeLeon, it's still showing a full capacity.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
my xlt rechargeable pack died long ago.I rotate 2 sets of duracell 2500 ma nimh with
the alkaline pack.walmart has good price on 8 aa packs and 8 cell charger,I do not use rapid
chargers.no problems,they last a day of play.

S

Sphinx

I use Lithium rechargeable batteries. Half the weight and last twice as long as any non lithium rechargeable or alki batteries

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no difference in operation ability or either battery pack in the detector. One will last longer or cost more. In using Alkaline, the power runs down slowly while the rechargable just stops working in the field, no big deal if you remembered to carry the spare back.

Many manufactures don't recommemd the Lithium batteries.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
The new Lithium batteries are designed for devices that draw a lot of current. More than the alkaline battery was designed to deliver. This would be things like digital cameras that have a large LCD screen for viewing, a zoom lense, flash, and other bells & whistles that use current. They aren't recommended for things like MDs because their current draw is low. At about $2 a pop, you are wasting money on them. Won't hurt anything, just not the right current draw profile.

Daryl

S

Sphinx

I have all 3 types of batteries, regular alki, rechargeable Nimh, and lithium. In my Minelabs, the lithium lasts twice as long, if not longer than the others. The lithiums are a good investment IMO.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
I agree that the lithiums last about twice as long. I've used quite a few. Problem for me is price. I can't seem to find them for less than $2-$2.50 each. About $9 something for 4. I can buy quality alkalines for less than $.50 each. So to break even, the lithiums have to last 4 to 5 times longer and I can't get that many hours out of them. Now if I could find a source for the lithiums at about $1 or so each. No contest.

Anybody finding deals yet on the Lithiums?

Daryl

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like nicad rechargeable cause the drop in power real fast and the voltage is only 10.8 or so

Rechargeable akaline NO MEMORY I can charge any time and the start out with voltage of 13.1 volts.

Bought a charger for them for $22.00 RAYOVAC Universal PSII
Batteries were $28.00 for 16 of them. ( from Canada )

All on ebay.

Saving lot of money.

Attachments

• batteries.jpg
    batteries.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 213
OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for their feedback.

My concern was more over operation then price and according to your responses there is no difference in operation. I'm newly married and have a 4 year old step daughter so my hunts are now 1 to 3 hours tops. So I think the rechargeable will work and I will keep alkalines in the truck as a backup.

I just told the wife yesterday that I'm buying her a detector so I can stay out longer. She loves looking at what I find and was excited when I mentioned it. I think the ACE 250 may do it plus then I'll have a decent backup machine.

Thanks again

NJ

davidco

Jun 10, 2007
South Australia
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Xterra70,GP3500,Tesoro Tigershark.
Hi
I use nihi 2600ah AA re chargables in my explorer and they do the job nicely, as do alkaline re chargables, If you detect regularly adding up the cost of purchase and recharging you would have to be in front pretty quickly I would think. Also better for mother earth too.

Have to agree the ACE 250 will get the missus hooked in no time, easy to use, light and good coin id tone.
We have just been away for the weekend with our club and my wife tried out the ACE250 for her first real hunt and kept at it all weekend! she used two sets of re chargables over the two days using no headphones. Just be prepared to share your spots.

cheers davidco

finds for weekend for both of us.

Attachments

• Clubmeetjune07.JPG
    Clubmeetjune07.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 176

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I not only save money using recharbles in my Sovereign,

But it also seemes to run Smoother.

the more Powerfull the batteries,
the more Erratic it is, till they wear down some.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a terriffic website on rechargable batteries and getting the most out of them.

http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/

I fly radio controlled airplanes and am very careful about battery management. Consider the consequences. If my batteries konk out when detecting I swap out a fresh set if I have remembered to bring them. If your receiver or transmittery battery pack dies mid-flight you walk out and start picking up teeny little pieces of what had been an $1,800 quarter-scale biplane.

Alkalines run at 1.5V initially and have a linear discharge curve. NiCads start at 1.2 or 1.3volts, drop rapidly but then have a long plateau voltage and then die off quickly. A fully charged NiCad may be 1.2 volts, and a dead one 1.1 volts. It is the mili-amp hours of life that we are concerned with, not the voltage. Some of the NiMH batteries are getting 2,800mah out of four AA size, while NiCads run 600 to 1,200mah and Alkalines run 1,400mah to 1,800mah per four. The downside of NiCads and NiMHs is that they self-discharge one or two percent per day. The best practice is to charge them just before use - and that takes more planning than some folks like.

I use NiMH in my Minelab (with a back-up Alkaline tray) and Alkalines in my F-75. I buy the big 24 or 36 packs on sale. At 40 hrs/4 it's not worth the cost of rechargeables and charger.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On a side note:

I'm not sure if these are considered quality Alkalines but I found Eveready AAs at Target for .25 cents each. A four pack for a dollar. I'll try them out and let you know how they perform.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Alkalines are pretty much Alkalines. They are made in a couple of places and then branded for sale. I have used Alkalines from pretty much everywhere. Right now I using some from a discount store in Amsterdam $2 for 8 with writing on them I can't read. Work as good as any.

Daryl

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya Charlie.. I fly electrics.. Nothing big.. I wonder why no li-po's? Huge capacity in small sizes.. High price but you can recharge in a hour... Now you got me thinking and it hurts!!!! ;)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cosmic said:
I hear ya Charlie.. I fly electrics.. Nothing big.. I wonder why no li-po's? Huge capacity in small sizes.. High price but you can recharge in a hour... Now you got me thinking and it hurts!!!! ;)

Heat. I know of two local fields that won't allow quick charging LiPolys in a vehicle or shed because of fire hazard. Them puppies get HOT when fast charging. I'm not even sure they come in a AA size. All I've seen are gel-pack looking critters (but I'm exclusively a gas and glow-fuel flier).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread