Qball

Jan 18, 2013
northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
nox 800 xp deus, CTX, etrac,T2, gonkulator
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have just returned from a series of relic hunts in Nogales Arizona and the First World War training camps along the US Mexican boarder. These camps were used to train infantry and artillery personnel for the US Army in both the Great War and to make incursions into Mexico "in pursuit" of Pancho Villa under the command of General "Black Jack" Pershing. We had exclusive access to some great and historic sites on private land and made some great finds like this Sixth Army dress coat button and my favorite a gold signet ring from Fort Little close on the boarder. One experience stands out and deserves special note. Me and my "pard", Don David, were working our way up the low hills to a flat spot we reckoned was a tent camp about a mile from the boarder when a young boarder patrol agent suddenly appeared "out of no where." "What are you guys doing out here? " he inquired. "Just prospecting, we have permission." "Oh, treasure hunters. I don't care about that we been watching you on the infrared scanner but we couldn't tell what you were doing just your bodies." "Sorry about that", says I. "No problem, it's just, see those two guys on the mountain top on the other side of the boarder? they are up there with cell phones directing drug mules through this corridor. Here is my card give us a call if you see any one running by, would ya?" So with a thank you and hand shakes all round our Samaritan departed. We had dipped a toe in the shark infested waters of "this ocean in which no oar is dipped." IMG_0507.JPG IMG_0538.JPG FullSizeRender 2.jpg FullSizeRender 3.jpg

Upvote 15

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks for finding my ring:laughing7:.Great day.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't find no body attached to that ring did ya? Ive heard some stories about whats found in the desert....

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Qball. Nice button and that ring is a sweet find. Glad to hear our border folks are on the ball. Good Luck out there. C9

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing. Love the background on the area you were in. Congratulations on your awesome
Permission site. No telling what else might be there hope you can return to the site and produce some more treasure.

The phone caught my eye. It looks like a modern satellite phone “drug mules” might have drop or its an older phone from the early 90’s.

The signet ring looks old is it 18K? It’s a redder Gold color which tells me it might be.

Anyways supper happy for your finds. Keep up the great work and thank you for sharing with the rest of us.

C98588E8-DBE0-4A85-AEBD-00BC2CDA38C6.jpeg

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I have also run into border patrol people when detecting close to the border here in Arizona. The ones we have talked to are very nice folks.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have also near rio rico az

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasnt always a pillar of the community a thread in the fine fabric of our population, the gold spoon on a table with stainless ect there is alot that can be found out there great post

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Qball

Qball

Jan 18, 2013
northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
nox 800 xp deus, CTX, etrac,T2, gonkulator
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The signet ring was not marked for karat and I have not tested it yet. it has the makers mark CS inside a circle but I have not yet found it listed. The soil down there is not kind to copper and brass. Ring had some tarnish so I figured it to be 10k. I imagine the trooper who caught it on his trigger guard and broke the band while drilling did not dare to look for it. I think I will have it repaired. It's just too historic a find to dump in a box and forget.

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds and that's the first time I heard about one of us being stopped by the border patrol.
Congratulations on your finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread