Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went again to the new farm on the list. till now we got 7 Silver coins out of this field, 4 Roman Denarii and today 3 medival hammered. Roman coins were scarce with only three in the pouch. Killer day with the three hammereds tho! :headbang:

Lead
31663534io.jpg

Buckle
31663537zr.jpg

Coins and buttons
31663538dz.jpg

31663539fw.jpg

Roman coins with a better than usual Sestercius, two scrappies and whats left of a Roman Vulva mount
31663544zs.jpg

Two hammered, left looks like a Konrad von Hochstaden Cologne mint, rigth one IS Konrad von Hochstaden (1238-1261). How big is the chance to get two different coins of the same Bishop in the same field?
31663549wg.jpg

31663552qm.jpg

Now the the third Silver today. Looks a medieval hammered too. Never got a coin encrusted like this before. It will take days to remove the thick layer of rust.
31663555rp.jpg

31663556qb.jpg

Rob found a French Infantry button 2 days ago, looks like i got an officers button today.
31663553my.jpg

Fun find of the day: a matching fork to the tea spoon i found last sunday there...
31663562xt.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Upvote 25

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds!! I love the close up pictures you gave. Looks like a wonderful fun hunt

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Nice finds Westfront, looks like you had a good day. Spooky to find the French button, and the hammered coins of Hochstaden As you have said I found the same type of button, a couple of day's ago. And believe it or not, many years ago, I found a sterling imitation of Hochstaden, in Lincolnshire, it looked very much like the coin on the right , but with only three pellets in each quarter.:thumbsup:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing day you had out! What a coincidence, and what a great day's hunt! I am very curious to see what the crusty coin will look like after cleaning, please do keep us updated!

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. I by now means am I a expert on OLD coins, just wondering, What are the roman coins worth? I see them on ebay for a "lot' for $20 and others for hundreds of dollars.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice assortment of finds. Well done on the silver, I have seen Romans encrusted like that but never a hammered, but I'm betting it's a crisp one under that crud.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the hammered silver on the right (with parts missing) looks like an English King Edward I silver penny

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Westfront, looks like you had a good day. Spooky to find the French button, and the hammered coins of Hochstaden As you have said I found the same type of button, a couple of day's ago. And believe it or not, many years ago, I found a sterling imitation of Hochstaden, in Lincolnshire, it looked very much like the coin on the right , but with only three pellets in each quarter.:thumbsup:

Thanks Rob! I thought civil button in the field. When cleaning the button and looking at the bomb or whatever the Frenchmen put on their buttons i couldn't believe i found the same button you did...

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing day you had out! What a coincidence, and what a great day's hunt! I am very curious to see what the crusty coin will look like after cleaning, please do keep us updated!

Thanks Ben, good day out in surprisingly warm weather. The coin is soaking in a cleaning solution and will do for some days if not weeks. The button has rust also but not as much and it's not a special one. I keep it that way. This site is so iron infested i guess more coins will turn up like this one.

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. I by now means am I a expert on OLD coins, just wondering, What are the roman coins worth? I see them on ebay for a "lot' for $20 and others for hundreds of dollars.

Simple answer: It depends. Like any other coin some are rare some not. Condition and variety comes inte play too. Most don't pay for gas driving to the site.

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment of finds. Well done on the silver, I have seen Romans encrusted like that but never a hammered, but I'm betting it's a crisp one under that crud.

Thanks Pepper! What is to see right now looks good so i hope for a good one! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the hammered silver on the right (with parts missing) looks like an English King Edward I silver penny

It's good ole Konrad. Look at the eagle on the top section of the cross. Silver pennies have the three dots in all sections.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I would do to be back in Germany. Loved my time over there.

Congrats on the finds. I always like seeing those really old relics come out of the ground.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is truly amazing. I'm sure most of us wish we were there with you all. Just a great assortment of finds there.

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I would do to be back in Germany. Loved my time over there.

Congrats on the finds. I always like seeing those really old relics come out of the ground.

:occasion14:
At least you had the chance to detect old ground! I don't know if i could ever leave and move abroad. When there is a place to detect it's a different story.

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds Three silver in a day is a great day. :goldtrophy:

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Ah Lu, you're back on the silver. With all the iron, does that mean it might not have been detected before? Good luck and go find some gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread