All day Good Friday road trip

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just thinking that most banks aren't open today, maybe you'll find some that are. Should still be a fun day to spend with your child. Let's hope you have some good finds.

sjlund

Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All banks in my city are open. "Good Friday" isn't a federal holiday.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm heading out on an all day CRH adventure today. I'm not even sure if the banks are open but I'm thinking at least some of them will be. Bringing the 6 year old with me. We'll see how it goes. Will update later this evening.

:coffee2: All the banks are open today as far as I know; just some of them might close early. Good luck with your hunting & have a good day with your child.
HH
Gary

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Not through the coins yet but had a very time finding halves. Only found $108.50, other than a $300 dump at the last bank. Pulled 8 40%ers from the $108.50. Also found $300 in IKE's with the dump, and pulled a '78-S IKE out of it. Haven't checked for varieties, NIFC's yet. Picked up $290 in dimes, halfway through we've foudn 2 silver rosie's(me and the 8 year old). Picked up $170 in nickels, $60 through we've found 1 war nickel (the 6 year old) and a '38-S (the wife). Unfortunately we already had the '38-S in the CRH book - looking for the '38-D. Picked up $45 in pennies. about half way through found 7 wheaties.

Nothing too great. I was definitely following a couple of other hunters in the morning "you're the 3rd person to ask this morning". Hopefully we'll crack the rest of the rolls open tomorrow and we'll find a keeper or two.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like u had a pretty good day. U seemed to have found a nice variety of keepers. And 8 x 40% from just $108.50 is really good. I've been having a difficult time finding any customer halves at all this year. Usually just a single clad here and there. Btw, did u happen to find any '73 Ike's? I'd guess I've found about $1000 or so (very rough guess) in Ike's over the years and I've been rather lucky and found 4 silver Ike's but I've never found a '73 or '72 T2 (unless I overlooked it) or a clad proof. I have found several '76 & '76D T1's though.

Good luck with the rest of the rolls too!

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not through the coins yet but had a very time finding halves. Only found $108.50, other than a $300 dump at the last bank. Pulled 8 40%ers from the $108.50. Also found $300 in IKE's with the dump, and pulled a '78-S IKE out of it. Haven't checked for varieties, NIFC's yet. Picked up $290 in dimes, halfway through we've foudn 2 silver rosie's(me and the 8 year old). Picked up $170 in nickels, $60 through we've found 1 war nickel (the 6 year old) and a '38-S (the wife). Unfortunately we already had the '38-S in the CRH book - looking for the '38-D. Picked up $45 in pennies. about half way through found 7 wheaties.

Nothing too great. I was definitely following a couple of other hunters in the morning "you're the 3rd person to ask this morning". Hopefully we'll crack the rest of the rolls open tomorrow and we'll find a keeper or two.

Good luck on your other coins and nice finds on the Ikes! Hope you find something good in them!

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:coffee2: You said nothing too great but everything you have searched so far has produced. You still have more to go thru. Slow but steady is good. Sometimes it's better to be the tortorus not the hare.
HH
Gary

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Sounds like u had a pretty good day. U seemed to have found a nice variety of keepers. And 8 x 40% from just $108.50 is really good. I've been having a difficult time finding any customer halves at all this year. Usually just a single clad here and there. Btw, did u happen to find any '73 Ike's? I'd guess I've found about $1000 or so (very rough guess) in Ike's over the years and I've been rather lucky and found 4 silver Ike's but I've never found a '73 or '72 T2 (unless I overlooked it) or a clad proof. I have found several '76 & '76D T1's though.

Good luck with the rest of the rolls too!

I just edge checked the IKE's for silver and pulled the proof out. I'll check them later today. I hit a score last spring with ~$130 in IKE's that had a '74-S AG, a '77-S, a '73 and two '73-D's. Same hit had $230 in halves and I pulled 46 silver halves out of it. One of my more memorable scores.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
:coffee2: You said nothing too great but everything you have searched so far has produced. You still have more to go thru. Slow but steady is good. Sometimes it's better to be the tortorus not the hare.
HH
Gary
Yeah, I'm definitely not complaining! It was just kind of weird for me that I really struggled to find any halves at all. $108.50 is terrible considering I must have stopped at 40 banks. When I'm road-tripping I always have visions of hitting the collection dump, regardless of denomination. I really enjoy hunting pennies, nickels and dimes but they're a pain in the butt to dump, at least the MWR are. I need to get better about asking for CWR only.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as Gary said, you still found something, and found it with your family, too!

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Final update - really didn't find much else... except I did finally find my first proof nickel. And in checking the '72 IKE's I found 2 type 2's which is another something that I've never found before. Both are in very nice shape.

So overall we found 11 wheaties and a piggy penny, 1 war nickel, a '38-S and a '78-S nickel, two silver Rosie's, 8 40%ers, a '95-S, an NIFC, a proof IKE ('78-S also), a holed IKE and 2 1972 type 2's in great shape. Overall not too bad.

What is a guy to do with the type 2 IKE's?

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on all the finds. And that's great u found two '72 T2 Ikes. Im sure your LCS would be interested in those if u want to sell them. If u know of a place that offers fair prices u should be able to get some pretty good money for them if they're in great shape.

Id say u and the family did pretty good and sounds like u all had some fun. Btw, just curious, whats a piggy penny? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Congrats on all the finds. And that's great u found two '72 T2 Ikes. Im sure your LCS would be interested in those if u want to sell them. If u know of a place that offers fair prices u should be able to get some pretty good money for them if they're in great shape.

Id say u and the family did pretty good and sounds like u all had some fun. Btw, just curious, whats a piggy penny? :icon_scratch:

Thanks. A piggy penny is what the kids call the Bermuda cents. Around my house, hunting with a 6 and an 8 year old a coin with a farm animal on it is often a better find than silver.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Road trip used to be good back in 2008. I remember that each month I would do one and always found 100+ silver coins. Nowadays it doesn't justify the time and gas money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions