Skiron

Aug 18, 2019
Greece
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi gents, equinox 800 newbee question here:

I was used (with my Deus) to run in zero discrimination in order to always hear the iron, and use only different tones to discriminate (tonal disc only) via specific tone breaks and tones in each region...

If I go to Equinox's Accept/Reject menu, and deactivate all discrimination paterns by activating all notches (=accept everything from -9 to +40)...is this completely the same as pushing the horseshoe button?
I believe that the least filtering the machine operates, the best efficiency it has, and furthermore by being able to always hear the iron (in a low tone and lower volume) is more efficient in order to interrogate iffy signals...iron grants on target's edge...iron falsing recognition etc....

So if I permanently deactivate all notches in all the profiles i use, and set tone #1 with my breakpoint of preference in a low tone with low volume, that should be completely the same (filtering and efficiency wise) as if I was pushing the horseshoe "all metal" button instead...right?

Any dissadvantages on doing so and running only by tonal discrimination and in all metal all the time?

Thanks

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is the same, but why go through the effort when the Horseshoe button allows you to do that? You can just hunt with horseshoe button engaged. BTW - other than providing tonal continuity for target signals which might otherwise get clipped by the muting effects of the discriminated bins, accepting or blocking bins does not really affect detector performance (e.g., depth) unlike overdriving discrimination on the Deus (i.e., setting it well above the ferrous range) which could affect non-discriminated target depth. In the Deus paradigm, the "discrimination" feature on the Equinox is more akin to the notch feature on the Deus. It is almost like a pure audio filter rather than a signal processing filter (I say almost, because it isn't just an audio filter in all likelihood, but behave pretty close to one with minimal impact to adjacent non-filtered target signals from what I can tell).

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Skiron

Aug 18, 2019
Greece
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks V,

I was afraid that the discrimination circuit in Equinox would have the same disadvantages as the Deus' discrimination, regarding overall performance (depth capabilities, xtra processing for the machine to do etc..)...and that even if I was using the horseshoe button it would not be the same as if I was running completelly open = no zero notches at all.....good to know it does not!

Thanks again :)

Curlymaplebandit

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many places I can use more sensitivity, or at least not dial it back as far if I notch out a few of the low #s. Parks around here are full of can fetti, notching out 123 and maybe a 4 gets rid of the machinegun chatter while holding a higher sensitivity setting. Odd things, the horseshoe is there for inspection. Might miss some small stuff, but I've pulled some darn small stuff like this too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread