Nox 800 stock wireless headphones... scratchy.. anyone else?

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the Avantree E171 wired sports earbuds with the hooks that go over your ears to use with the WM-08, I really like them a lot, left them in my shirt pocket one day and they went thru the washing machine and they still work like their brand new.
Haven’t had any problems with the stock headphones [emoji442] yet, I’d say if their still under warranty see if you can have them replaced.

Last edited:

Dirt Duke

Aug 26, 2018
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like the stock wireless Nox headphones are scratchy and "staticy" for me. Is anyone else having any problems with them? are there any good wireless replacements? or if I go to the WM8 what are good headphones are you all finding to be of good audio quality for the Nox tones? thanks

Have you tried using the cable that came with the ML 80 wireless headphones to see if it's the Bluetooth circuitry or just the speakers in the headphones? Have you contacted Minelab Customer Service?

OP
OP
gene the machine

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you tried using the cable that came with the ML 80 wireless headphones to see if it's the Bluetooth circuitry or just the speakers in the headphones? Have you contacted Minelab Customer Service?

no and no... will work on the 1st idea asap before trying #2 idea thanks

Dirt Duke

Aug 26, 2018
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no and no... will work on the 1st idea asap before trying #2 idea thanks

One more thing to try is plug in a wired pair of headphones. Any old pair, just to rule out the ML 80 phones as the possible problem. If sound is still scratchy you probably have a problem in the Nox control pod. Good luck.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't had scratchy performance with the Equinox stock phones (but I have encountered that issue on some other third party BT APTX LL phones), but they do sound "muddy" to me vs. other alternatives.

Here are some headphone models I have found that work with Equinox just fine and that are still available out there:

https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/pro-headphones?matchtype=&network=u&device=c&adposition=&keyword=&campaign={shopping}&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7qn1BRDqARIsAKMbHDajJK-O_Yzqs8ndhX3vp3376Zomq4bZ4rSWihl9685bufjvR2h6fncaAgn0EALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IEHIMLY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A0EAYDI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another option for folks who have a 600 and didn't get a WM08 wireless receiver module is to go with a small bluetooth APTX LL transceiver into which you can plug your favorite wired cans:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EHSX28M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B4W40VC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I guess I will put in the YMMV disclaimer because of the myriad of compatibility issues that have been reported, but I can say these have worked with my primary and backup Nox's and I have paired some of these with the Vanquish (not a fan of the ML branded phones, they sound muddy to me, but maybe just because I had the Miccus phones for a time well before I got the Equinox so perhaps got used to how they sounded vs. the ML Equinox wireless phones).

OP
OP
gene the machine

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks V... have any of you tried the Paww WaveSound 3 Bluetooth Headphones ? seem to be low latency enough for our purposes. If I get another pair of any kind I will send the stock ones in to see if they are bad or not.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks V... have any of you tried the Paww WaveSound 3 Bluetooth Headphones ? seem to be low latency enough for our purposes. If I get another pair of any kind I will send the stock ones in to see if they are bad or not.
Yeah, I did, that's why I linked to them in my post above (2nd link). They work great.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine work awesome, now I have to get some waterproof ones

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bought the 800, used twice with no issues, hitting the beach this morning.

OP
OP
gene the machine

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
now i need a used 15 inch coil

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the Equinox is growin' on ya, Gene, a year and a half later. Meanwhile, I've switched back to the Deus/ORX as my go to machine. Still love the Equinox, especially at the beach, but just having a lot of success with my trusty XP machines - including the Orx. Equinox and XP are a killer combo my friend.

OP
OP
gene the machine

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So the Equinox is growin' on ya, Gene, a year and a half later. Meanwhile, I've switched back to the Deus/ORX as my go to machine. Still love the Equinox, especially at the beach, but just having a lot of success with my trusty XP machines - including the Orx. Equinox and XP are a killer combo my friend.

I decided to give the Nox a fair work out. It's been pretty good. The thing that helps me the most is that it's much less chatty that the Deus. That is the main reason that I even tried another machine. I cannot make the Deus be quiet enough no matter how low i decrease the sensitivity or lower the TX. So having shot artillery in Nam my hearing is very bad and I can't deal with the chatter. I miss way too many signals.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to give the Nox a fair work out. It's been pretty good. The thing that helps me the most is that it's much less chatty that the Deus. That is the main reason that I even tried another machine. I cannot make the Deus be quiet enough no matter how low i decrease the sensitivity or lower the TX. So having shot artillery in Nam my hearing is very bad and I can't deal with the chatter. I miss way too many signals.

Hey Gene, thx for your service!

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the beach yesterday and this morning, no scratchy in the headphones. Question though, is the skid plate on the 800 removable like my Excal? Manual doesn't mention it, and trying to get all of the sand out from around the top edge is difficult even with a hose. If it doesn't come off, has anyone caulked that joint?

Steve

Dirt Duke

Aug 26, 2018
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the beach yesterday and this morning, no scratchy in the headphones. Question though, is the skid plate on the 800 removable like my Excal? Manual doesn't mention it, and trying to get all of the sand out from around the top edge is difficult even with a hose. If it doesn't come off, has anyone caulked that joint?

Steve

Yes, the Nox skid plate is removable. I would not caulk it since it comes off with little effort and caulking may still not prevent stuff from getting in.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the Nox skid plate is removable. I would not caulk it since it comes off with little effort and caulking may still not prevent stuff from getting in.

Thx Duke, wanted to make sure it was removable

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, took the coil cover off and cleaned the sand out. went to the beach this morning, in beach 2 mode, worked m
y way down to the edge of the surf, wet sand and water lapping over the coil. the machine would chatter all over the place, numbers went crazy. So went back to the dry sand, no chatter. When I got home I took the coil cover back off and it was filled with sand. I know my Excalibur will give false signals with sand in the coil cover, but it never acted like the nox. Could the sand in the cover be the issue, and if not, can I adjust the chatter out in sensitivity, or elsewhere?

thx, Steve

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are getting a lot of chatter in the wet salt sand or surf. First do a GB in the wet sand area of the surf/tide line, then if it is still chattering, put GB in tracking as recommended by the manual. Simply having sand in the between the coil and cover should not result in a lot of chatter. Are you noticing black sand or other signs of mineralization? Beach 2 should be the most stable mode of all. You might also try lowering sensitivity a tad if necessary.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread