All Metal and Highly Oxidized Coins

dan_h

Sep 9, 2005
I read this in the manual for my Garrett Stinger, that I occasionally use and the advice may be still relevant to current detectors. It said that heavily oxidized coins will be rejected by any level of discrimination and all metal searching must be used. I have an Indian head penny completed covered by patina and will use that to test my Stinger and newer detectors.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, must be specific to the machine. Lots of Indians are found every day with oxidation of one sort or another.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I think the point is that if the coin is heavily oxidized or corroded, it will change the way the machine reacts to it and not give a perfect signal.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've retrieved lots of zinc pennies that were in terribel shape and they all responded just fine with discrimination on.
luvsdux

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the coin would have to be completely consumed by corrosion for this to occur. I have dug a lot of VERY heavily corroded coins from fertilized farm fields. They all rang up solidly, if maybe a little lower on the VDI scale but certainly nothing close to requiring an all metal mode to find them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions