Using tethered goats to clear undergrowth ?

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , A tethered goat can only eat what is around it and cannot wonder off . They will eat just about any thing. Right down to the ground without disturbing the soil. No smelly burn offs or toxic weed chemicals which means no EPA restrictions. Only may need to check local county on life stock laws. Your thoughts on this idea.? My partner and i have 2 hopefully cleaning out blackberries in some ruins. TP

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
All good if you have a lot of goats.Then again it's an old wives tale that goats will eat anything.One or two goats give them a few weeks.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
tinpan
Good idea !
My Neighbor has a goat named Peanut cool animal friendly and loves cigarette butts...but eats anything...kids feed him long pieces of newspaper...he cleans the barnyard real good.
Gary

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , Ole wives tale ,???? Goats have existed in some of the harshest places on earth and man has. kept goats for over 6000 years. Their millions of them in the outback. They are not a native species. TP

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tinpan
Good idea !
My Neighbor has a goat named Peanut cool animal friendly and loves cigarette butts...but eats anything...kids feed him long pieces of newspaper...he cleans the barnyard real good.
Gary

Thanks , Cannot tether sheep just to stupid but sheep are good in fenced field after the crops .TP

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mother had a few goats,I'm talking from experience.

Breed up in great numbers and considered a pest .No restriction on the amount you can shoot in some places. Farm stock will ring bark trees if not controlled . TP

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't recall goats ever eating mature berry canes.
Have had one tethered goat get a stick in it's collar and twist it enough to strangle.
Moving a fence back farther each year cleared some land at Dad's. Still ,there were things to clear the goats did not eat.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you plan on tethering them in the wild they will not last long. Coyotes and wild dogs will have a feast. We have them in our area that clean the city runoff collection pond areas that are fenced and the dogs will dig in and kill the goats. Proceed with caution, little goats have rights also.:unhappysmiley:

http://www.wrdw.com/content/news/Goats-killed-by-dogs-440570753.html

Last edited:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
my uncle used to have fainting goats i snuck out there one day and and got in his car and laid on the horn they passed out he came outside i don't think i ever ran that fast before

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Here in Northern California there are herds used to clear steep hillsides to lower the fire danger. The owners set up orange plastic fence on metal posts and turn 'em loose. A small bunch can clear a hillside by the street in a day. I haven't inspected the operation, but I'm guessing they owners stick with them. Some may use trained dogs to help corral them.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
we cleared our 2 acre house lot with a nanny goat. Did a great job.We stretched a 50' cable between 2 trees. It had a pulley on it and about a 15' leash for the goat. Once that area was cleared I would loosen one end of the cable and move to another tree. I kinda 'leap frogged' the cable around the lot this way. Every so often it would get tangled and need rescued. It would holler and let us know. We lived there in a trailer while I built the house, so we were handy to be able to tend to it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had goats (Boer) and I prefer a 5' brush hog.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I've never owned goats, but I have a number of friends that do. They mostly complain about the goats jumping up on their cars, and occasionally girdling trees. If you don't have large trees, the latter is not a problem. If you don't have a car, the former is not a problem either.

My complaints, as a person who is a friend of goat owners, are those freaky weird eyes and that they like to headbutt your hand if you pet them. It's like an overly affectionate cat or dog, but much larger and sometimes with horns.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have these amazing devices called "weed trimmers". Work a lot faster than goats and you don't have to feed it...

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have these amazing devices called "weed trimmers". Work a lot faster than goats and you don't have to feed it...

Hi , While the goats clear one site , can hunt another site. Gee if animals doing all the work at no Cost to me and will not leave a huge mess to clean up . I the winner Tp

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't recall goats ever eating mature berry canes.
Have had one tethered goat get a stick in it's collar and twist it enough to strangle.
Moving a fence back farther each year cleared some land at Dad's. Still ,there were things to clear the goats did not eat.

I have to agree with you on this, I have yet to see it my self. Seen them take alot out but not that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread