Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"All Metal Modes"

My detector has two "All Metal" Modes and from reading the owner's manual I can't for the life of me understand what good they would be. The information is really scanty. Appaently an all metal mode is quite common on many detectors. When I switch to the all metal mode I get a really confusing hodge podge of sounds. Can someone give me a good practical explaination as to when I would want to use this mode and how it works? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
S

sal1966

Re: "All Metal Modes"

why use it? does it get deeper? ??? .I own a whites XLT. any tips for using the all metal mode. does it give a VDI number? whats the advantage?

R

ranger ricky

i too am curious ?but i find sometimes i use this feature to help center my digging, it gives a me a louder tone the more center i get.

sometimes Ill pass my dug soil under the coil in this mode.

im sure the vets here will give you better explanation of this feature

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ALOT easier to Find Iron Objects, Sleight Advantage in Depth, Easier Pinpointing . Altho to find Iron Objects, I just Dig the NULL signals, but that can be Tricky due to Ground Conditions at some spots

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon

Use the all metal mode when relic hunting. Old places where there is no modern trash. If you're detecting city parks for coins and jewelry forget about all metal mode. Why your machine has two all metal modes is anyones guess. My guess would be it has a relic mode and a prospecting mode. ??????

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1 of the all metal modes is a "slow motion mode" and the other is a "non motion mode".. use all metal slow motion when hunting relics on like farms, civil war areas, etc. Use the "non motion" all metal mode when you want max depth and to dig EVERYTHING

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida

Perhaps one is a normal all-metal search mode, and the other is a all-metal pinpoint mode? 8) Just a guess, what type of MD is it?

S

sal1966

USE A WHITES XLT. NOT MUCH ABOUT ALL-METAL MODE IN BOOK. DO MOST OF MY HUNTING IN WOODS AROUND CELLAR HOLES.DOES IT DISPLAY VDI NUMBERS?

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

One of the all metal modes is a no motion mode, the other requires motion and there is a seperate pinpoint feature. My unit is a BH Land Ranger. One of the modes does mention gold nugget hunting, but just mentioins that it can be used for that, no details. I've switched over to the all metal modes a couple of times just to see what it does and there is so much noise it's hard to figure out what it's telling me. Also when you're in the all metal mode the icons quit working and you are just using noise as a guide.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

All metal mode is critical to GB. All metal mode will tell you if you have a clean enough area to set your GB. Something ID mode will not if there are objects small enough to avoid ID yet affect the machine-observed level of mineralization. Another thing all metal does is tell you if there is an object too deep for your detector to id correctly or sometimes at all. Using all metal you may get a signal that you never get in id mode. Switching between all metal and id can help id hot rocks as well.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My machine has an "auto" ground balance pre-programed in 3 modes but can also be manually ground balanced by following a procedure set up in my owner's manual. Same thing applies to discrimination, auto start and go in 3 pre-programse or can be manually set. You are also supposed to be able to tune out (reject) any of the object i.d. icons, (ie: pennies, dimes, quarters, pull tabs, etc) but I have not figured that one out yet. It's the next to the top of the line BH and has some pretty sophisticated features, but......

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Hey Jimmileo, turn off that auto GB and use hte manual method. Some of the same reasons apply. You hit an old area with sparse, deep targets and want the good stuff but maybe a bit of barbed wire or tip of an old nail is in the ground beyond your machine's ability to id it but close enough to change your GB setting in response to what it sees as much higher mineralization. This reduces your machines depth and sensitivity and sometimes by enough to eliminate real possibilities of good finds altogether.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Someone else had advised me to ground balance manually, but I haven't had a chance to get back out to try it yet. Had rain yesterday and forecast again for today. Maybe tomorow?

C

Copper

Lowbatts said:
All metal mode is critical to GB.? All metal mode will tell you if you have a clean enough area to set your GB.? Something ID mode will not if there are objects small enough to avoid ID yet affect the machine-observed level of mineralization.? Another thing all metal does is tell you if there is an object too deep for your detector to id correctly or sometimes at all.? Using all metal you may get a signal that you never get in id mode.? Switching between all metal and id can help id hot rocks as well.?

This is GREAT stuff!

I'm saving this one.

Thanks much.

Copper

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread