Suggestions Wanted For a Good But Not Hugely Expensive MD

S

SonjaMarie

Hi all,

Great forum. I joined a different one the other night and I love to see all the finds.

I'm thinking of getting my own metal detector but trying to find out info from ppl who know better then me.

I can't spend too much, 300 is my limit, so I'm interested in the best for that amount.

My main area is rocky, muddy, and one sandy beach(es) right outside my front door pretty much. I live on a filled in isthmus on Vashon Island where it connected Vashon and Maury islands to make one big one, it's a small island in Puget Sound, near Seattle and Tacoma.

My home is also supposedly built on a site that once had a hotel which burned down ages ago so I'm curious if I can find anything related to that.

Looking fwd to reading the replies, thanks for reading!

Sonja Marie

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go to the various dealers sites and compare prices. They usually have various price ranges listed and some have special package deals to go with them. If you have a local dealer, drop in and ask for a demo on a machine in your price range. Most of them will throw in a few freebies with a little talking. I just blught my first one and my limit was $500.00. I wound up with a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger for around $429.00 and did get some useful freebies with it. I am still learning on it and it will do more than I am capable of right now.

zommbee

Jan 31, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Hi Sonja,

Welcome aboard! I'm over in University Place - just west of Tacoma.
You might also check out White's Prizim detectors - I've heard really
good things about them for the money (around $200).

Good luck on Vashon - hope you find the old hotel!

Dave
Zommbee

YosemiteSam

Jan 23, 2005
zommbee said:
Hi Sonja,

Welcome aboard!? I'm over in University Place - just west of Tacoma.
You might also check out White's Prizim detectors - I've heard really
good things about them for the money (around $200).

Good luck on Vashon - hope you find the old hotel!

Dave
Zommbee

zombee
hey just wondering what youve heard about thee Prizm
I own one but cant find much info on this unit
but I do hear alot of the others aswell as yourself say theyve heard lots of good things about Prizm
Sam

OP
OP
S

SonjaMarie

Thanks for the suggestion Dave.

I read reviews and it doesn't see the II would be good for the beaches near my house as it is salt water.

There doesn't seem to be as many reviews for the III, so I'm still trying to decide.

Sonja Marie

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Sonja, try reading the Garrett forums on http://www.findmall.com or http://www.thetreasuredepot.com..

Garrett has a new Ace 250 detector that is getting lots and lots of rave reviews from the folks who've gotten them.

Availlable with some delay one E-bay for about $200. They've been favorably compared with the Prism IV for detection capabilities.

Good like whatever you choose.

PS Jeff, if posting the other sites is against the rules, please delete the entire response.

OP
OP
S

SonjaMarie

Dear Bill,

Thanks for your advice, but I've already ordered a Prizm III from White's. I can't wait to get it. I've wanted one for a long time, meant to get one in 2001 but it didn't work out. My mom is also excited, she's wanted one to.

Sonja Marie

C

czman

Hello and welcome to the forum...I was at Fort lewis in 68 and 69 before I went to Vietnam...Like Tacoma and its people...HH...Don

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
my first one was 3 years ago, a poineer505 from bh. i found my first walker1/2 and around 1000 coins in a year.it is hard to find zincs and nickles and the depth is alittle off but for your budget i reccomend it.

bigrig

D

Darod

Sonja,

I think you should consider picking up a Garrett Ace 250 for your Mother. The machine is comparable to the one you've ordered in both price and performance. By getting the Ace for your Mother you can compair the 2 machines side by side. I think in the long run you BOTH will be very happy :)

Welcome to Treasurenet. Make sure to come back and post your finds here so we can all enjoy them :)

Rod

OP
OP
S

SonjaMarie

Dear Rod,

Thank you for the suggestion, but my mom is 62 with a bad back and legs so I doubt she'll be out much hunting, also I can't spend that amount again lol.

Sonja Marie

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i would go with the garrett ace 250 ,it does it all pretty well from all the posts ive read, does well on the beaches hot on coins and even gold,takes a little to getting use to pinpointing but for $200 cant beat it.im ordering one for my son .i guess the biggest challange is finding a dealer who has one in stock!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread