All Military! The Heaviest Hunt Ive Ever Been On!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All Military! The Heaviest Hunt I've Ever Been On!

I got out to a site today where an ammunition depot exploded in 1945 near the end of WWII. I started furthest away from the site of the explosion and found the majority of the 50 caliber bullets and shells. As you can see all but a couple of the shells are destroyed. The big thing on the end is the bottom part of a large bomb. Near the end I found the huge rifled bullet. Also found a first...last years deer shed! It was a fun hunt in a target rich environment!

y1eqn.jpg

2wbsp.jpg

7hvug.jpg

u0aic.jpg

ur2fiz.jpg

Upvote 4

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bet one of those would have left a mark on your noggin if a fellow had been to close. :evil6:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to figure is the large projectile, with the rifling, has been fired...it's brass jacketed and lead and weighs about 10 pounds...

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That rifled bullet has me stumped also. Do you suppose it was there before the dump exploded, from some previous practice range or battle, because it looks like something from before WWII? I just moticed that all of the exploded brass has the primers blown out, but there is one brass in the bunch that is smaller, like an M1 Carbine or pistol round, that has a fired primer, which indicates something was going on there prior to or even after the explosion. It's interesting anyhow, and I hope someone figures out what it is.

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
One additional thought, what countries ammunition is it? I was first looking from a .50 caliber BMG point of view, and figured US, but if I'm wrong that still doesn't change the fact that the rifled cannon bullet is out of place.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Wow Romeo, finding stuff like that would have made a bit nervous I will admit, but fun is fun when there's lots of targets to dig. You're lucky you didn't go boom baby ! Lol

Good luck on the relic trail !

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BosNmate: the ammo would be Canadian.

Ironhorse: the thought did occur to me...especially when we were digging out the big (exploded) bomb.

Last edited:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the thing on the end of the first picture looks like a piston, but is hard to tell exactly. I'm curious as to why the primers are missing from nearly all the .50 cal shells as well. :icon_scratch:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the thing on the end of the first picture looks like a piston, but is hard to tell exactly. I'm curious as to why the primers are missing from nearly all the .50 cal shells as well. :icon_scratch:

Just another guess...perhaps they weren't finished ?

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's not a piston...it's a very bad picture of an exploded bomb. What isn't clear in the picture is the fusion from the erxplosion and the copper and brass base. It's being cleaned now and I'll post some more pics when it is finished. Maybe the 50 cals were kept without the primers while in storage...this was a storage depot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread