All My Scrap Find

FunWithTreasure

Oct 12, 2008
Always wanted a furnace to melt down all the scrap copper and brass and silver etc..I find while detecting. Well I finnaly got one. So today I melted some of my finds...Top Is My Brass Finds Melted, Middle is my Copper Finds Melted, Last Is My Scrap Silver jewlery Melted..Keep in mind this is just scrap fragments of metal fittings etc. I didnt melt anything good...
Just thought some might be interested..
PS I made the mold myself out of stainless steel stock..

Attachments

• 100_2735.JPG
    100_2735.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,947
  • 100_2736.JPG
    100_2736.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,944
  • 100_2737.JPG
    100_2737.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,934
  • 100_2738.JPG
    100_2738.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,936
  • 100_2735.JPG
    100_2735.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,945
  • 100_2736.JPG
    100_2736.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,950
  • 100_2737.JPG
    100_2737.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,930
  • 100_2738.JPG
    100_2738.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,938
S

seger98

How about a picture or the smelter? or where did ya get it from?

OP
OP
FunWithTreasure

FunWithTreasure

Oct 12, 2008
DD-777 said:
Pretty cool - what kind of weight did you have on that stuff? How much did the smelter run? :thumbsup:

The Brass was almost 16 Ozs
The Copper Was 9.8 oz
and The Silver was 5.8 oz

Furnace is capable of 30 ozs

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is something I'd be interested in doing, can you tell us the make and model, cost, where to buy, etc.? I can see it now, my spare bedroom weighed down with scrap! I'm not kidding!

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
I've said it before; making your own ingots may be fun for some like when I used my mothers pressure cooker and mushed up a pile of vegetables, but with no certifiable purity then who would ever buy them of you without you losing money for Lab. testing.

Precious metals can cover the cost maybe but base metals is a waste of precious power.

Of course they are useful for making casts.

OP
OP
FunWithTreasure

FunWithTreasure

Oct 12, 2008
pigiron said:
I've said it before; making your own ingots may be fun for some like when I used my mothers pressure cooker and mushed up a pile of vegetables, but with no certifiable purity then who would ever buy them of you without you losing money for Lab. testing.

Precious metals can cover the cost maybe but base metals is a waste of precious power.

Of course they are useful for making casts.

Ya but theres a market for everything on ebay..

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
Hate to be a stick in the mud but the electricity used to melt a lb of brass was 3 times the value of that brass. If you have access to a cutting torch set ,oxy acetylene, it's cheaper. Use propane or ideally Natural gas to replace the acetylene to get cheaper still. A conical mold will reuse the heat too as the unmelted material is contacting the molten. Even still if your not pouring a casting sell your metals as is. Also beware of the fumes from brass/ copper, they can cause health problems long term. It does look cool though. Pouring the molten metal in a bucket of water will make "nuggets" but can/ will cause steam eruptions. Spent most of my working life in the Die Casting industry and know of what I speak. Urb.

OP
OP
FunWithTreasure

FunWithTreasure

Oct 12, 2008
Urban Prospector said:
Hate to be a stick in the mud but the electricity used to melt a lb of brass was 3 times the value of that brass. If you have access to a cutting torch set ,oxy acetylene, it's cheaper. Use propane or ideally Natural gas to replace the acetylene to get cheaper still. A conical mold will reuse the heat too as the unmelted material is contacting the molten. Even still if your not pouring a casting sell your metals as is. Also beware of the fumes from brass/ copper, they can cause health problems long term. It does look cool though. Pouring the molten metal in a bucket of water will make "nuggets" but can/ will cause steam eruptions. Spent most of my working life in the Die Casting industry and know of what I speak. Urb.

Thanks for the heads up. I have been only melting them outside. Lucky for me I dont have to pay for the electric use..lol so for now it isnt cousting me anything. Thanks again. I will be carefull with those fumes.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Some people just don't get it.

" Lucky for me I dont have to pay for the electric use..lol so for now it isnt cousting me anything. "

Because of global warming we all "pay" for power usage whether it's waste of electricity
or waste of gas in petrol guzzling cars etc.

If it's theft of electricity I think that's despicable.

If it's your relatives house you live in and are abusing then you also pay with your inheritance.

"PS I made the mold myself out of stainless steel stock.."
You should therefore put your skills into making molds of items that can sell on e-bay
with more value-added profit than a lump of base metal.

Jsayre1234

Mar 13, 2008
I see no need to negatively judge him for what he is doing, obviously he had fun doing it and that is all that matters. For all we know he could have used solar power for his source of energy? Who cares! I think it is neat :thumbsup:

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
"obviously he had fun doing it and that is all that matters."
In this day and age this statement is a gross insult.
I used to have fun washing my car or having the garden sprinkler on for the kids to play under it on a 100 degree day. Now it's against the law and rightly so.

"For all we know he could have used solar power for his source of energy?"
Sure, lets all spend $20K-$30,000 on solar panels so we can fire up our dinky 10K-20Kilowatt electric furnace.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeeze.............

He said he just got his outfit. Did anyone bother to ask him if he had plans to cast objects? We all at one time started something to see if it worked and then progressed on to bigger and better things. The guys just getting his feet wet in smelting cut him some slack.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
I now totally agree with you boogeyman and would like to apologise to this topics author for my insensitivity

OP
OP
FunWithTreasure

FunWithTreasure

Oct 12, 2008
pigiron said:
I now totally agree with you boogeyman and would like to apologise to this topics author for my insensitivity

Its no problem everyone is entitled to there opinion. My power source is free because it comes from a gigantic generator that is used to power the building I work in. No opologies needed opinions are what makes the world go round..I just made the bars because I saw that SUSSE was making them and selling them as novelty bars thought they looked kind of cool so I made some.. I may get into the casting part as well.. I just thought it was cool that SUSSE CREDIT was making and selling them. Thought it was a good way for people with less money to get even a few bars in there collection. Who knows in the long run it may be a ok investment..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread