Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Saturday I revisited my favorite colonial plantation site with the hopes of finding a few more goodies. I started the day detecting the main home site, which has been really hit hard over the years. The site is absolutely loaded with nails but good targets can be had if you go slowly and keep at it. After an hour or so the only find was an iron buckle so the plan wasn't going all that well. Shifting gears I opened up part of a trash pit that I had worked on over the winter; it had been very productive and I picked up where I left off. A good variety of 18th century pottery shards popped up in the sifter as well as a fair number of pipe stems and a lot of rose-headed square nails. I also sifted out a small iron buckle and dropped .69 caliber round ball.

20160818_214635.jpg

Here are the two buckles; the smaller one turned up in the sifter.

20160818_214159.jpg

One interesting shard was this partial mug handle that has a diamond shape stamped into it. No idea what the significance of this mark is-any ideas?

20160818_214439.jpg

I also like this one-you can see the legs of a bird, probably a rooster or pheasant.

20160818_214348.jpg

While I thoroughly enjoyed the consistent finds that the sifter produced, after about three hours in the heat I had enough and decided to relocate to the adjacent creek and cool off. On the previous trip to the site I was pretty sure I had figured out where the avenue to the main house had crossed the creek over a bridge, and I decided to test the theory while cooling off in the creek. After a few minutes I picked up a good 70's signal just below where the bridge would have been. The pinpointer led me right to the target, which was lying on the bottom. Much to my surprise I reached down and pulled up a complete 18th century stirrup! This is my first complete stirrup and a very old one at that.

20160818_214845.jpg 20160818_230326.jpg

Within a few feet of where I found the stirrup I recovered another .69 caliber round ball and a very large iron skeleton key. These finds confirmed the bridge location.

20160818_214254.jpg

All in all it was a fun and productive day-a lot of work but well worth the effort. That site just keeps on producing-and I can't seem to stay away in spite of the 90 minute drive each way.

20160818_214540.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 18

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds! :occasion14:

100acre

Aug 10, 2016
Asheville NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Garrett AT PRO w/ 5x8" coil
Garrett Carrot,
GG Amphibian HP,
40"ground shark
Keene A52 Sluice box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent post Glenn :thumbsup: You pulled some amazing iron and did a great job preserving it. That stirrup is just awesome... Sure looks like an old one. I have many half-stirrups and only two complete ones. They're definitely some of the best iron you can dig. The 90 min drive each way sounds like something I'd do. Haha. I'd be excited the whole way there while pondering what will turn up, then excited to get home and clean everything.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice relic hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done DND. That stirrup is killer!

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent post Glenn :thumbsup: You pulled some amazing iron and did a great job preserving it. That stirrup is just awesome... Sure looks like an old one. I have many half-stirrups and only two complete ones. They're definitely some of the best iron you can dig. The 90 min drive each way sounds like something I'd do. Haha. I'd be excited the whole way there while pondering what will turn up, then excited to get home and clean everything.

Thanks Brad. That site is pretty amazing and I have pulled so many really good, very old finds from there that the drive is not a consideration. The stirrup was an unexpected surprise especially in the creek, but I guess that makes sense with it being a few feet downstream of where the bridge would have been.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are some really nice finds! I love the pottery shards. I've collected many over the years, but have never considered laying them all out together as a display. The stirrup is really cool! I am impressed with your thoroughness, using both sifter and metal detector. Well done!

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are some really nice finds! I love the pottery shards. I've collected many over the years, but have never considered laying them all out together as a display. The stirrup is really cool! I am impressed with your thoroughness, using both sifter and metal detector. Well done!

Thanks Tommy! That site is so rich in quality relics that I would be remiss if I didn't search the creek. Many of my best finds have come from the creek as a matter of fact.

Pacivilwarluke

Feb 15, 2013
York PA, Edisto Beach SC, Shepherdstown WV
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer hunt! The handle appears to be from a rheinish stoneware tankard, the diamond shaped mark is where the silver or pewter lid would affix if I'm not mistaken, functioning like a stein. I found a decently complete one around Charleston last month, here it is, yours likely would've looked similar! Love that stirrup too! IMG_9947.JPG

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer hunt! The handle appears to be from a rheinish stoneware tankard, the diamond shaped mark is where the silver or pewter lid would affix if I'm not mistaken, functioning like a stein. I found a decently complete one around Charleston last month, here it is, yours likely would've looked similar! Love that stirrup too! View attachment 1349187

Killer mug reconstruction Luke! Does yours have the same indention in the handle?

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer hunt! The handle appears to be from a rheinish stoneware tankard, the diamond shaped mark is where the silver or pewter lid would affix if I'm not mistaken, functioning like a stein. I found a decently complete one around Charleston last month, here it is, yours likely would've looked similar! Love that stirrup too! View attachment 1349187

You are correct Luke .....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread