Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I'll bite. You were lucky. Whoever caught you if a Ranger, etc, could have confiscated all your gear and caused you to pay a hefty fine. The feds get very serious abut that. Monty

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That sucks. Did you find anything, or were you busted right away? Who busted you...some details, perhaps?

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
You just have to ask the right people. And in the right way! Most of the crap you read about this and that being off limits can be over come by simply asking the right way. A lot of people here will post things like you cant hunt here or there, don't believe them.
Just go to the person in charge and tell them what you want to do. Now if you don't ask right they WILL tell you absolutely not!
You just asked the wrong way. You have to use finesse and work your way around them.
Dano.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you have to ask the right people about detecting some areas. Federal Parks are a definite NO-NO to detecting. I have been hired to recover lost jewerly in Off limit parks and a call from a legal dept. usually gets me in to search. They can't stop you from trying to recover your lost valuables nor your agent under your hire. These same parks are open to detecting after Labor Day for metal detecting by the general population.

If the area is state or federal land, like a Civil War Battlefield, KEEP OUT! with that metal detector. The Archaeoligists are afraid we'll steal all the relics. But they aren't planning to harvest them or do a "Dig."

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Some of you folks here need to realize that even though you (WE) pay taxes, this does not grant you any God Given right to do whatever the heck you want, when you want, or where you want! Rules are in place for a reason. Don't like the rule... get it changed! If you can't get it changed, then live with it and move on! The days of being a rebellious teen are over.

Yup.. the Feds could very easily have taken all of your detecting stuff, car, money, etc. Consider yourself lucky this time.

And yes... I'm a Law Enforcement Officer. Play by the rules and no one gets hurt! Its really that easy folks!

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I don't get why this place is protected from detecting? Just cause the government owns it and wants to keep us from making money off it somehow? It isnt historical is it?

BOB VALDEZ

Jan 8, 2006
swingingmydfx said:
Feds after metal detectors what a crock. Why dont they go and tap someones phone or somthing.

Hahaha, you make me laugh ! (sorry, I am in Belgium, lol !)

BOB VALDEZ

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
If in doubt. ASK!!! I would hate to be in trouble for doing a hobby. I just called some local officials today to verify my rights and explain my hobby. I was granted permission any time and obtained the grantors name and title- just in case!!! There's always some do-gooder that thinks we're tearing things up LOL. Just be safe and know for sure.
HH
Greg

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Cfm said:
Because of both the military ordnance and Park ordinances, metal detectors are prohibited on Sandy Hook.)

Here is an article from W&E treasures and on the bottom its states why MDing is banned.

http://www.treasurenet.com/westeast/data/feature/robots/200405.htm

perhaps im missing something, but where does it state why metal detecting is banned? i only see a statement saying that it is banned, no explination.

OP
OP
jersey junkie

jersey junkie

Jan 14, 2006
new jersey
I had just started and this truck drives up to me on the beach. A real nice old timer. He said that there may be unused bullits here and that it is dangerous. Hmmmm. So I left and went to Sea Bright beach. Then my batteries went dead OOOPPS. Oh well still better than working.

Southcacalaky

Silver Member
Oct 2, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",
I agree with obtaining permission and agree that if a place is banned from metal detecting it should be heeded. ?Getting laws changed to detect places like that might not successful. ?Do whats right. HH Art...

DIGGITALL

Nov 30, 2005
I know how ya feel I got ran out of a metro city park in Nashvile was advised no metal detectors in any city metro parks >:( and the town I live in also it is in a area where there was a big battle of Franklin the city just bought a whole golf course and will turn it into part of the battle feild now and none there either oh well just gotta keep looking I guess for a nother spot to dirt fish !

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But just because theres a law against it doesn't mean its wrong

Jake, since when did "illegal" and "wrong" have to mean the same thing? There are lots of things in this country that are illegal but not wrong, and plenty that are wrong, but not illegal. I guess you have to be a lawyer to know the difference. Us everyday citizens aren't smart enough to figure it out, or at least that's what the lawyers think.

lasttoknow (Tim)

Dec 5, 2005
Spanaway Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac And Whites Quantum Pro
It's not complicated. No trespassing= stay out. No detecting = no detecting. If it's posted. The parks here in Washington all have there rules posted. That's the first thing I look at before hunting a park. County parks have differant rules from county to county so I check online or fire off e-mails to the parks department to the appropriate county. They are pretty good about getting back to me with a written response and I can print it out with their name and specifics on it. Just in case.. If you didn't know though and seen no sign posted with no detecting plead ignorance....

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beetle is absolutely correct. Obey the laws and if you cannot then expect to be punished when caught! Lets all do the right thing at all times! Tsgman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread