🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never had a year detecting where I haven't dug at least one silver coin, and while lately I have been just wanting to dig relics, its been in the back of my mind on every hunt. So today I was happy to flip the plug and see this merc.

IMG_20141213_155417574.jpg

Spent about 5 hours detecting today and using a new program, which seems to be working great here. The yard I've been in is about 3/4's of an acre of iron patch. Its so bad, I have a hard time finding a spot to ground balance my machine. At this place, I usually get mentally tired from listening to all the signals, way before I am too tired to dig anymore. I dig all signals at this place due to the amount of iron and today the Indian head was a surprise as it was masked with a piece of iron. Two of the three wheat cents were also masked. Actually... nearly every target I dig here, I usually pull out nails as well as whatever else was signaling.

IMG_20141213_183058.jpg
IMG_20141213_183033.jpg
IMG_20141213_182935.jpg

I dig leather rivets often. Mostly they just plain... I dug one with an anchor once. Today I got this cool one... looks like man wearing a horse riding helmet. I don't think it is too old though, but nice to see one with a design.
IMG_20141213_183004.jpg

Actually, I've never had a year where I only dug one silver coin. I better get another trip in to try and squeeze one more out of the iron. ha I typically wouldn't post these type of finds, but it was a big deal for me to save my near silverless year!

Upvote 7

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The yard I've been in is about 3/4's of an acre of iron patch.

Wow!! Sounds like IP needs to go on a diet! ;)

Actually, I've never had a year where I only dug one silver coin. I better get another trip in to try and squeeze one more out of the iron. ha I typically wouldn't post these type of finds, but it was a big deal for me to save my near silverless year!

I guess that's one of the drawbacks of concentrating on relics. :dontknow: That, and the fact that at some point, most silver coins will be out of reach. Then, too, I know of a few hunters who have never found a silver coin. Not for decades! LOL

One way to be sure of them is just to keep at it so the coil might get over top one. ;)

Congrats!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great green color and detail on the IH! Glad you got a silver! Hope you find a lot more before the years out.

I know what you mean , ground balancing is really difficult in trashy metal areas, which is most of the schools here, and a certain section of Old Orchard Beach!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I know what you mean , ground balancing is really difficult in trashy metal areas, which is most of the schools here,

It's not difficult. Just dig EVERY-thing out of a 2 foot square first! Then, balance. As long as the ground NEVER changes, you should be good for the whole day. ;) LOL

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice coins I.H is my favorite coin, and it eludes me. I found a few but here in Pa. they come out of the ground looking real bad, Congrats on the silver

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone. I gave the dime to the property owners after I got the dirt off and took some pictures. So technically I'm still silverless! ha The patina on the IH is a lighter shade than my others and looks even better in person. I could tell it was a solid coin with a nice green color the second I took it out of the plug. Going to head back over there now and enjoy this 50 degree weather.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the IH

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice clean up on those nice finds. I hope you find some more silver. Maybe just for something different, try a new site?

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice clean up on those nice finds. I hope you find some more silver. Maybe just for something different, try a new site?

Thank you. I don't get out nearly as much as I want to, so this year I focused mostly on this home site. I probably have a total of 40 hours in this site and there is just so much in the ground there. I was a bit discouraged with the insane amount of iron in the ground, but with this new program I put in my v3i, the fast recovery rate is allowing me to find a ton more. Yesterday and today were my only trips using the new program and I'm finally pulling out some of the smaller targets and coins... its like a whole new site to me now. ha

AND... Todays finds:

The gilted clip with a chain in my pictures form yesterday turned out to be a nu-lok tie clip... so I went right back to the bush I found it at yesterday to try and get the rest of it. Got the coil way under the bush, get a solid mid tone showing brass, think I have the rest of the tie clip, but turned out to be just another IH. ha

IMG_20141214_162431.jpg
Didn't find the rest of the tie clip, but the Indian Head is much better!

Later on I get a slammin signal for a quarter at 5 inches and I'm sure this one will be silver. I dig up this copper or brass reel. Its easily my favorite thing I found today. Its Small... (you can see just how small in the last picture) Only thing stamped on it is the number "40" and it looks hand stamped with a punch.

IMG_20141214_154159469.jpg IMG_20141214_154210023.jpg IMG_20141214_154205398.jpg

Short time later I dug a compact filled with gold coins. I just had to get home and free them from the closed compact.
IMG_20141214_154135657.jpg IMG_20141214_154130189.jpg

After a peroxide bath loosened up the compact hinge enough for me to get my retirement plan from inside, I found out that instead of all the gold I was certain was inside... it just had a broken mirror instead. Oh well... it was nice having a compact full of gold while it lasted.

And finally... the new program picks me a dime out of the iron. 1964... so happy it wasn't another 1965.
IMG_20141214_141849784.jpg
IMG_20141214_152659.jpg

The rest of todays haul.
IMG_20141214_162311605_HDR.jpg

Oh.. and I couple keeper pieces of iron that I'll put through electrolysis. I think the hinge might be hand forged, but I'll know once its cleaned up.
IMG_20141214_165005188.jpg

Think this might be my last hunt of the year, but I was glad to finally save my almost silverless year by pulling two silver dimes out of iron and trash.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread