Along the mining trail

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Here are a few items that I found at a mining town the last couple weeks. The first photo shows:

Miniature horse shoes. The mines here were drift mines, dug into the hillside. Miniature horses were used to pull the mine cars loaded with coal. Full size horses would have been too large to fit in the mines.
Stove lid from a cook stove
Broken mattock

Second photo

A stove poker.
A short spike remover used in the mines. Again a full size one would be too cumbersome in the mines.
A full size pick head.

Third photo

A mining pick used in the mines.
A broken copper mallet.

Forth photo

A miners lamp. I found this last fall, but cleaned it up during the winter.

Attachments

• DSCF0576.JPG
    DSCF0576.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 670
  • mining.JPG
    mining.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 662
  • DSCF0632.jpg
    DSCF0632.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 674
  • untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 665
Upvote 0
Great relics Lumber ! :thumbsup: Finding and preserving those lumbering and mining relics is a fun , fasinating , and important hobby . I love the miners lantern :icon_thumleft: Excellent recovery :icon_sunny: Happy hunting and keep us posted :hello: MaineRelic

The lantern is cool.
Don't thionk I could be a miner though.

Colorado14ers said:
epic relics!!!! where are you located? :thumbsup:
Pennsylvania, in the middle of great bear and turkey hunting, but no longer good deer country.

lumbercamp said:
Colorado14ers said:
Pennsylvania, in the middle of great bear and turkey hunting, but no longer good deer country.

I believe that would place you somewhere in the vacinity of Potter, Elk, Cameron, Clearfield area...Love it up there...Had a camp in those parts a couple years ago...Stopped going, the deer herd diminished drastically...I visit once in awhile for bear and turkey!

huntinghunter said:
lumbercamp said:
Colorado14ers said:

I believe that would place you somewhere in the vacinity of Potter, Elk, Cameron, Clearfield area...Love it up there...Had a camp in those parts a couple years ago...Stopped going, the deer herd diminished drastically...I visit once in awhile for bear and turkey!
Right, there are areas I hike in the winter and I see more coyote tracks then deer tracks in the snow. Years ago, you could go in the woods and hear deer snorting all the time. I don't know when the last time was that I heard a deer snort. Young kids nowadays would have no idea what a deer snorting sounds like.

lumbercamp said:
huntinghunter said:
lumbercamp said:
Colorado14ers said:

Right, there are areas I hike in the winter and I see more coyote tracks then deer tracks in the snow. Years ago, you could go in the woods and hear deer snorting all the time. I don't know when the last time was that I heard a deer snort. Young kids nowadays would have no idea what a deer snorting sounds like.

Those were the good days at deer camp...anymore you have tourist bothering the elk around Winslow hill or Bennezette, I can remember herds of deer and my dad and I bugling the elk in, back some distant gas line or having a camp fire only to have a local bear show up to the smell of roasted marshmellows to run us all into the camp...Ahh..the good ole days....

Your mini horse shoes are donkey shoes.

That is an early (1850ish) pick as well!

I found a wooden crate 200' back in a mine that had six of those oil lamps,still have them,they are in great shape....as is yours :thumbsup:

Kuger, you know your shoes. Someone told me they used miniature horses in these mines. (They were wrong). I checked with the history of the area and it stated that mules were used in the mines. I should have checked before posting. The mines here were all closed up years ago, so there is no way to explore them.

lumbercamp said:
Kuger, you know your shoes. Someone told me they used miniature horses in these mines. (They were wrong). I checked with the history of the area and it stated that mules were used in the mines. I should have checked before posting. The mines here were all closed up years ago, so there is no way to explore them.

Thanks L.C. actually Mules and donkeys are two different animals(You probably knew that)each shoes are easily distinguishable when you have seen a few.There were Mules and donkies that spent there entire lives in the mines,never seeing daylight for there whole lives :thumbsup:Horses make poor beasts of burden compared to the others

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back