North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D
Coin roll hunting, old cars, building base station HAM/CB antennas, sausage making, gardening, to name a few.

Coin roll hunting, old cars, building base station HAM/CB antennas, sausage making, gardening, to name a few.
I just picked-up a pair of Browning Golden Eagle mark 3 radios, what would you recommend for an antenna?
I just have a car CB radio antenna to see if they worked and they do T&R.

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember the 67 World Series, Boston & St. Louis.
we were all rooting for the Yaz, & Lonborg almost pulled it off.

They could have pulled it off if they had Tony C for that series. That was a huge loss for them.

I didn't start following baseball until 1969, so I missed out on that World Series. I did watch the '75 WS against the Reds. They would have won that one if they hadn't lost Jim Rice to a broken wrist in September. The Red Sox never had any good luck back in those days...

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Damn...I'm one boring SOB....:laughing7:

Currently, I'm a full-time caregiver for my wife. In my spare time I hang out here on TNet, and am in the top 5% worldwide in tournament solitaire.

In the years past:

Gold prospecting
Primitive bowhunting and archery
Longline trapper
Taught many predator hunting seminars
Steelhead and Salmon fishing
Bookseller and Collector
Indoor gardening (yes, I grew great weed)
Astronomy and Cosmology
I do the same as you I am my wife's in home care giver, since April 1,2019 my wife was hit by a hit and run driver while she was walking and life took a turn for the worse, prior to that date I had several hobbies which included Metal Detecting, Building Gourd Banjo's, playing Banjo, and all kinds of wood working, I would cut slabs of wood out of down trees using a Alaskan Sawmill then turn the slabs into tables

Photos below are one of the Gourd Banjos I built and two of the Tables I built, the neck of the banjo I hand carved

Attachments

• Aligator Juniper Table I made.jpg
    Aligator Juniper Table I made.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Alligator Juniper Table 2.jpg
    Alligator Juniper Table 2.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Front of completed Gourd Banjo.jpg
    Front of completed Gourd Banjo.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Goud Banjo Back View.jpg
    Goud Banjo Back View.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 18

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I just picked-up a pair of Browning Golden Eagle mark 3 radios, what would you recommend for an antenna?
I just have a car CB radio antenna to see if they worked and they do T&R.
The Maco V5000 is a great base antenna, A99 is another. I built a simple ‘dipole’ antenna before I bought a commercial unit (Sirio Gainmaster) for less than $5 and got out locally to about 20 miles and 1,000 miles talking skip. Get an SWR meter ($25) to tune the antenna before transmitting.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Maco V5000 is a great base antenna, A99 is another. I built a simple ‘dipole’ antenna before I bought a commercial unit (Sirio Gainmaster) for less than $5 and got out locally to about 20 miles and 1,000 miles talking skip. Get an SWR meter ($25) to tune the antenna before transmitting.

Wow...talk about memories...8-)

About 45 years ago I was big into the CB thing (I was 15/16) and built my first base station out of a Cobra 138 that I had added additional crystals to. Disassembled it, and built it into an empty wood stereo case. Only problem was the damn 12v power supplies kept burning up.

Put a PDL Quad up on the roof, and had chats with folks all over the planet (when the skip was in).

Ran a Cobra 29 LTD Classic in the big truck (still got it), but have no interest in listening to all that racket anymore.:violent1:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

About 45 years ago I was big into the CB thing (I was 15/16) and built my first base station out of a Cobra 138 that I had added additional crystals to. Disassembled it, and built it into an empty wood stereo case. Only problem was the damn 12v power supplies kept burning up.

Put a PDL Quad up on the roof, and had chats with folks all over the planet (when the skip was in).

Ran a Cobra 29 LTD Classic in the big truck (still got it), but have no interest in listening to all that racket anymore.:violent1:
LOL, I remember the CB days, I was on the road driving all over midwest and west coast, no cell phones back then, CBs were very useful.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Hey Dizzy I also set up a base station when I was a teen back in the late 1970’s, big 3 element Yagi that I strapped to the chimney of my folk’s house, several of my buddies also had radios and we’d yack at each other ‘till late at nite. Nowadays, I mess around with big antennas and micro power to try and see how far I can get out.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Native American artifact hunting
Yodeling
Harmonica playing
Gardening
Rock polishing
Die cast collecting
Cooking
Making super-hot salsas and sauces
Reading
Whittling (a few from this week shown)
Helping people (if that’s a hobby)
IMG_2589.jpeg

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yodeling
Harmonica playing
Gardening
Rock polishing
Die cast collecting
Cooking
Reading
Helping people (if that’s a hobby) View attachment 2127900
I have noticed that some of us have a lot in common! It may be the time period or just our ages? Blackfoot yodels, that's cool! I only yodel when I'm in great PAIN !

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yodeling
Harmonica playing
Gardening
Rock polishing
Die cast collecting
Cooking
Reading
Helping people (if that’s a hobby) View attachment 2127900
I like your wood art.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It used to be Astronomy ( variable star observing) and also ATM ( Amateur Telescope Making).

Besides metal detecting, it is preserving artifacts and displaying them around the house.

As i still work full time at 66 and will for another 10 years minimum, I haven’t time for additional hobbies, but plenty of things interest me enough to become hobbies given the opportunity.

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 and White's TRX pp, Garrett 400, Pro Pinpointer II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It used to be Astronomy ( variable star observing) and also ATM ( Amateur Telescope Making).

Besides metal detecting, it is preserving artifacts and displaying them around the house.

As i still work full time at 66 and will for another 10 years minimum, I haven’t time for additional hobbies, but plenty of things interest me enough to become hobbies given the opportunity.
I was into astronomy too. Then I found Paleontology in college....now its metal detecting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread