Alternative to coil cover?

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Jharhed, Skypilot02 here! As a matter of fact, there IS an alternative to coil covers! I think I know what you mean when you say you hate them, always having to take them off to remove dirt and debris, then they crack from repeated off/on, and won't stay tight at all! Oh yeah, the solution I personally like best; Positive points first: is to apply a spray on bed liner, one used to protect pick up beds, from the local hardware store! A few tips, if you want them, the spray on liner is extremely durable, comes in different colors, (black or charcoal are my favorites), and takes I don't know how long to wear off, because mine hasn't in 3+ years of semi regular use, and can be easily applied if seen to be wearing thin! It is relatively inexpensive, readily available and there is no space between the coil and the liner for dirt and debris to collect! Now for the negative : That being said, (all the good points above), the chemical is not at all easy on thin plastic, or ABS, so avoid getting any on your control housing, if it is made of some type of plastic, or anything else plastic on your unit. Also, make sure the coil is absolutely clean, I prefer to use soap and hot water with a stiff nylon brush to initially clean it, then take a 50% isopropyl alcohol solution on a lint free towel and clean it, allowing the alky to dry totally before applying the liner. Apply masking tape to areas on the coil where you do not want liner to stay, and also I've found it best to cover the rest of my machine, (if the coil is on the unit), with a thick drop cloth. Apply in misty, thin coats and allow each one to dry to a tack (sticky) before applying the next coat and continue in this way until the depth of the liner suites you! The sides, I have found, generally require slightly more than the bottom, but I'm sure how I use the unit effects where mine needs it most! Hope this helps!! I apologize for the long reply, I'm only trying to be sure I didn't leave anything out!! One more thing, by the way, make sure it is bedliner and NOT undercoating, as it never really dries like we require it to! Great hunting and good luck!! Let me know if you like this solution, or think it stinks! Regards, Richard.

OP
OP
jharhed

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the thorough reply, I think I'll get some of that stuff!

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
No problem at all!!! I really believe you'll like the bedliner! Glad to be able help! Great hunting and good luck!!! Regards, Richard.

OP
OP
jharhed

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I chickened out on the bedliner, thanks for your input Sky, thought i'd take a milder approach. Rust O leum plastic textured paint, found it at home depot

Attachments

• 02-27-09_2225.jpg
    02-27-09_2225.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 231
  • 02-27-09_2259.jpg
    02-27-09_2259.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 225

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Jharhed, Looks great! :thumbsup: Let me know how you like it, and how well it holds up!! Great hunting and good luck!! Regards, Richard.

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and this dosent hurt the coil in anyway? would it hurt the warrenty if the coil stopped working?

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mike, No, this doesn't hurt the coil at all. About the warranty, I can't say, I've never had one go bad yet. But I will say this: If you don't use a coil cover, then of course, the coil wears down to the inside and ruins it. If you use a coil cover and do not keep it perfectly clean, then the dirt and grit, (or debris), will cause the detector to "read" the dirt inside the coil cover, between the coil and the cover, and the unit will ground balance at whatever the dirt trapped inside is, rather than where you are actually hunting, even if the G.B. is automatic. After a while, the cover cracks, or stretches and won't stay on tight. Plus, it's a biiiggg hassle on some coils to get the cover off without harming it, (the cover or coil), and if the coil is coated, (with bedliner or textured paint) all this mess is eliminated. Great hunting and good luck!! Regards, Richard.

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I broke a cover trying to take it off, thats why im asking.. this is a good idea, i had sand and some other junk between the coil and cover... I guess my coil is good and if i get another its a bigger one... i will give it a try

metalmolly

Nov 5, 2008
Excellent ideas! Next time I have coil cover crack or otherwise become unusable, I'm going to try the bed liner. Thanks for the thorough instructions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions