Now confused, Silver Umax or Vaquero???

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I thought I was set with the Umax and then started reading on the Vaquero. I am just looking for a back up machine and a machine to put on the ATV or Motorcycle and hit cellar holes and some parks. I understand that the Vaquero has the ground balance, but do I really need it? I can do without the pinpoint as it sounds easy by x-ing with both machines. What is everyones opinions??????????? I am hoping to buy in March and now I am getting confused. I am in the North East if that makes a difference.

Fire away with your thoughts and experiences if you have tried these two machines. Thanks :BangHead: :dontknow:

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't stress yourself out, just get the V, if you get the silver you'll always have it in the back of your head "Should I have gotten the Vaquero?" You'll have the freq shift just in case, pinpoint which is kinda unnecessary because the response is so quick, but you can size the target very accurately and the GB, my deleon like other tesoro detectors I've heard mentioned before, is set too positive for my ground by the manufacturer, which could be possible for you with a silver?, don't know what your soil is like, but it can cause a loss of depth and sensitivity. Thats all I got.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
lost at sea...Sorry if I have confused you. If you hunt in mild soil go for the silver. If you think you may encouter more mineralized soil, go for the vaq. Don't fret it, no matter which you buy, you are going to love it. These detectors are fun and easy. Just make a decision and do it. You want be sorry. PM me if I can help.
Randy

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
RPG, you are not the one that confused me, as you sent a very nice PM on the Umax. I confuse myself, lol. I was set on the Umax and then started looking at other models and the Vaquero stood out as well. Both models have such good reviews and write ups. I am just trying to get the right one and if I do not need to spend extra money, then I would rather not. However if I deem the Vaquero the best bang for the buck for what I want to do with it, then I will bite the bullet and buy that one. Thanks for the replies so far everyone, hopefully we'll see more. Tesoro definatly seems to have a good following, so I have to check it out, lol.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Lost at sea, Skypilot02 here! I like 'em both so well I have one of each! No doubt, though, while the Silver is a fine machine, here in East TN., the Vaquero will go lots deeper, probably due to the fact that it has a manual ground balance and you can "super tune" it, by turning the threshold wide open after the unit is set up! Now, note, the pinpoint is useless in "super tune mode", as the threshold oversaturates the P.P. mode, but, since you don't use it, the P.P. mode, (I don't know anyone who does, actually!), that would be great for you! The only disadvantaged of the Vaquero I can think of, is while your MicroMax coil will fit any MicroMax unit, the Vaquero coil is only interchangeable with the Te'jon, (they are black coils), other than that, if you buy either one, you will be greatly satisfied, but if you buy the Vaquero, you may want to invest in a good shovel!! Hope this helps!! Great hunting and good luck!! Regards, Richard.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd follow the advice offered above and get the V mostly because you'll always wonder if it would have been better.

I wouldn't buy new if it were me. Today with the wild fad with almost everybody going nuts over the Fisher F75 and F70, you should get a very good deal on a used Vaquero or Silver if you decide to go with one of them.

I've purchased 3 used Silver uMax detectors and paid an average of $150 each for them (mint condition).

But in mild soil the Silver uMax with the 12x10 coil is deeper than the Vaquero. Very few like to use the 10x12 concentric coil due to it being a bit top heavy and large but it's a killer coil on the Silver if you know what you're doing. I dug a silver war nickle at 10+ inches with mine.

If you get a deal and buy used you'll be able to get your money back if you decide to move to something else.

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread