Aluminum Half???

SoCalMark

Dec 28, 2006
Inland Empire
Detector(s) used
MXT, Explorer II
I found this in a roll of halves I was searching earlier in the week. It looked like silver but it was so dirty I couldn't read the date, so I cleaned it up a little and saw "1974"...that really shocked me. I knew immediately it was not clad and the more I looked at it I didn't think it was silver either. I checked it with my MXT metal detector and it doesn't show the same reading as a silver half (88 on the VDI). This one reads 78 (usually a copper penny but could be aluminum). The way it is corroded looks like what aluminum does when it has corrosion. It looks like it may have been in the ground at some point in it's existence. It weighs only 8 grams which is well under a 40%'er. Too bad about the condition but if it is aluminum it may still have some value as an error coin. What do you think???

Mark

alumhalf001.jpg
alumhalf002.jpg

Upvote 0

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Might be a homemade cast copy. Is it lightweight like aluminum? I'm sure it is not an error coin. Either homemade counterfeit or a regular half that has been in acid or who knows what kind of abuse.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
The more I look the more I wonder if it has been in the ocean. Looks like a few coins I have found at the beach.

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
I'm shooting blind here, but I'm guessing that it's been through some toxic waste.

OP
OP
SoCalMark

SoCalMark

Dec 28, 2006
Inland Empire
Detector(s) used
MXT, Explorer II
bigcypresshunter said:
How much lighter is it?

The weight of a 90 and 40% is 12.5 grams and 11.5 grams respectively. This one is only 8 grams. I might add that the diameter and thickness appear to be the same as any other half.

awhitster said:
Not sure what to say. Oh I know, that is one butt ugly coin.... LOL

If you think thats ugly...check this one out! I found this in a roll yesterday. Poor thing didn't stand a chance :'(

uglyhalf.jpg

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
I bet awhitster is right - I've seen the same thing on quarters from the beach - saltwater and moving sand will tear a coin up.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here are some silver coins found in a beach trench. The second pic shows a quarter that is indiscernible. Salt will eat silver.
I think you should test your coin with a nitric acid/potassium dichromate mix because of the large weight difference. It may be a aluminum and would be very unusual.

That second half you found may have been in a powerful garbage disposal.

Attachments

• beach coins.jpg
    beach coins.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 157
  • beach cookie coins.jpg
    beach cookie coins.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 152
  • beach coins.jpg
    beach coins.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 159
  • beach cookie coins.jpg
    beach cookie coins.jpg