Always Double Check Your Flat Buttons!! Early Navy Button Pic Added!!

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
As I have a little spare time I have been trying to organize my relics and coins.. with the intention of building a display case.. full of drawers to hold all of it. I have a bad habit of just tossing "normal" stuff in a jar with the intention of looking at it later and never getting to it. I started going through a mason jar full of flat buttons.. many of them still covered in dirt!! Well.. about 20 buttons into it.. I found an early once piece navy button! Looks to be Albert's NA 87!! My camera;s batteries are charging now.. I'll post a pick later.. needless to say.. I am soaking my flat buttons in soapy water now. The bad thing is.. I have no idea when or where I dug it!!! Live and Learn!!

MB

Picture added..

Attachments

• navy.jpg
    navy.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 315
Upvote 0

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Re: Always Double Check Your Flat Buttons!!

It was a good catch anyway. Better later, than never.

camperlee

Jan 8, 2008
belding, Michigan
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett ACE 250

good idea I'll check my buttons I'm guilty of that too. congrats on the past finds. :thumbsup:

Suckerpunched

Nov 15, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax

OK, I'm new to the button/relic thing but trying to learn....found a "flat" button, two headed eagle with foriegn writing in an area from the 1940's. (used to be military housing and possibly interment camp)
So do flat buttons have any more historical significance???????
Thanks for any info......TC

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil

Just like your digs, check it twice!

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

Suckerpunched said:
OK, I'm new to the button/relic thing but trying to learn....found a "flat" button, two headed eagle with foriegn writing in an area from the 1940's. (used to be military housing and possibly interment camp)
So do flat buttons have any more historical significance???????
Thanks for any info......TC

Not in of themselves, but if you find a bunch in an area then you are in a good area to hunt. I was really talking more about cleaning the ones you do find. This looked just like a normal flat button... caked in a nice layer of dirt.. I rubbed a little more dirt off and saw an eagle underneath all the dirt.. since the button had it's design stamped into it.. the dirt had filled it and it was pretty much flat across the face..

MB

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I told my team when we started hunting together--always investigate your finds, or if you don't have time to clean them all, put 'em in a ziploc baggie with a date and site name.

Rodeo recon let his 1 regt early 1800s artillery button sit with other flat buttons from the same site for a few days before he even cleaned it up to see what it was.

And I wonder how many Andrew Jackson presidential campaign buttons (VERY VALUABLE BUTTONS!) are sitting in junk button bins right now. The only difference between those and regular flat buttons is the backmark!

Always wise to do your best to know what you've found.

Check out my thread in "Cleaning and Preservation" on cleaning buttons. There are a couple of methods I've found to be very useful posted there.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

BuckleBoy said:
I told my team when we started hunting together--always investigate your finds, or if you don't have time to clean them all, put 'em in a ziploc baggie with a date and site name.

Buckles

Great advice, BB! IDK how many times I have double checked my trash and found some type of inscription or engraving.

MB, I can't wait to see the pics!

Neil

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have said it before on posts and so have others, one reason it is important to clean just about any relic found, you never know what might be under the crud and full identification usually cannot be determined till properly cleaned.

Don

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

BuckleBoy said:

Rodeo recon let his 1 regt early 1800s artillery button sit with other flat buttons from the same site for a few days before he even cleaned it up to see what it was.

And I wonder how many Andrew Jackson presidential campaign buttons (VERY VALUABLE BUTTONS!) are sitting in junk button bins right now. The only difference between those and regular flat buttons is the backmark!

Check out my thread in "Cleaning and Preservation" on cleaning buttons. There are a couple of methods I've found to be very useful posted there.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

..if i find any Andrew Jackson's.. I'll be sure to post it! ;-) I only have a 1000 or so to check.. ;-)

MB

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland

Nice.....VERY NICE!!!!!
That's why I keep all of that iron in the back
of my truck...Remember? LMAO!

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

tymcmurray said:
Nice.....VERY NICE!!!!!
That's why I keep all of that iron in the back
of my truck...Remember? LMAO!

OHHHH... I thought you were building up weight for better winter traction!! ;-)

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:

Buckles

Buckles....could you explain that further and maybe show a pic? Are you saying his campaign buttons were flat and smooth and jsut had a specific back mark? If so, I may ahve to look closer at my pile of "tombacs".. :icon_scratch:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monkeyboy,

That's why I try to keep on top of cleaning and identifying all my finds. :wink: Below are some examples...

Mainedigger said:
BuckleBoy said:

Buckles

Buckles....could you explain that further and maybe show a pic? Are you saying his campaign buttons were flat and smooth and jsut had a specific back mark? If so, I may ahve to look closer at my pile of "tombacs".. :icon_scratch:

Yes, they look like plain flat buttons on the front. But the backmark will tell its true identity.

Here ya go:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,216564.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,14168.0.html

The first one is maybe not so rare...the one in the second link has a rarity value of 125. :o

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Buckleboy...thanks for that...guess I gotta go thru my button bin and give em all a close look.. :icon_scratch:
Someone also posted this link which shows a good example of them.... http://www.hakes.com/item.asp?AuctionItemID=26256

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread