war of 1812 trillogy site Maybe not? Help Identify this.

Dig This

Dec 26, 2005
western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Well seeker had posted a site we detected a few weeks ago, and today John, Tim and I decided to meet there to start our detecting day. Tim and I arrived at the site before John so We went across the street from the honey hole as there was a homesite there, we spent about a half hour when John arrived he began detecting on the other side of the creek and we decided to stay for awhile. I made my way across the street to the hole we thought was a war of 1812 Era but we are not sure what to think now as the buttons that are coming out 10-12" down keep getting older. The area we are doing is all in front of the foundation about 30'x60' and everything is deep. I was there for about 1/2 hour when I got a faint signal, dug down about 10" and put the probe to the hole, things were pretty wet as it snowed the day before so I slopped around in the mud with the probe and grabbed the slop hit it with the probe in my hand and BAM there she was a beautiful flat button, I ran my finger across the front and stars appeared, I knew I hit a goodie, wipede it on my jeans and John was about 10' from me he took it and said never seen one like it where the horn wraps all around the stars. I put it in water and continued on. Tim pulled out a small button about an hour later that had a #2 inside a star, hopefully he will get pics of that posted soon.

Now is where I come to you all..Can anyone help Identify this button?
We are going to put together a post with all the finds from our spot over the last three weeks, see seekers post to see the other buttonsfrom the spot.
Thanks,
Jeff

Attachments

• horn button front.jpg
    horn button front.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 827
  • horn button back.jpg
    horn button back.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 833
  • april 6 detecting.jpg
    april 6 detecting.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 816
Upvote 0

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: war of 1812 trillogy site Maybe not?

Your a lucky dog........that button is the bomb! Between that button and Tims star bust regiment button we had a heck of a day.......Like I have said in the past.....Buttons tell so much about a site and the buttons that are coming out are ancient. The depth alone tells alot along wwith the brick chips and pottery the site is very old. GREAT JOB!

John

OP
OP
Dig This

Dig This

Dec 26, 2005
western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE

Ya John heck of a day, Now if we can just get this identified and dated we can have a better understanding of time

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil

Can't help on the button date....but guys....that IS Da' Bomb!!!!!! :tongue3:

Baldingboy

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Any chance you can read the back of that thing? It's not EGGINGTON which is one I recognize, but ??

Looks like a lasso around the stars?

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When we started the day we had at least a couple of inches of snow on the ground......thats western NY for you. It was in the upper 60's on thursday and it was like 15 degrees with the wind and snow on saturday......gotta love it. Keep the grass from growing more time to get out and dig! The old spoon piece I found has some marking on it along, the silver plated button has a crown on the top with a wreath along the sides....will post it some time this week........ :wink:

OP
OP
Dig This

Dig This

Dec 26, 2005
western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Montana Jim said:
Any chance you can read the back of that thing? It's not EGGINGTON which is one I recognize, but ??

Looks like a lasso around the stars?
Wellington on the back, there is a horn around the stars

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
nice finds

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fortbball9 said:
Reply in What is it,
try this link and scroll down,button close but not exact.

http://www.civilwarbuttons.com/dragoons.htm

fortbball9

Thanks for sending this site........I seen it yesterday ,they are pretty similar but this one is going to be a tough one. Where going to have to dig a little deeper. Still trying for you Jeff. We have a bunch of people working on it!

john

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I do think its a Regiment of Rifleman button....very nice find ....I am sure someone will narrow it down for you soon.

OP
OP
Dig This

Dig This

Dec 26, 2005
western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Well we are still looking, it does seem to have riffelmans button design but still cannot place it. one from the war of 1812 say riffelman on them and backmarks do not come close, the WELLINGTON on the back is really thowing a curve ball in this.

Cornshiner

Feb 27, 2009
No chance that button says "Ellington" would it?
I have an aunt that used to live in Ellington, NY.
My grandfather also lived near there and when my mother was young he would dig coins and buttons out of his garden every year. I still have some of them, my oldest coins to date.

Tecumseh

Feb 23, 2007
Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
The Seeker said:
fortbball9 said:
Reply in What is it,

fortbball9

Thanks for sending this site........I seen it yesterday ,they are pretty similar but this one is going to be a tough one. Where going to have to dig a little deeper. Still trying for you Jeff. We have a bunch of people working on it!

john

The phone number is on the site. They might be able to help identify it.

FWIW, I did find a couple of WELLINGTON buttons on ebay, and the seller wrote that British officers wore these to commemorate Wellington's victory at Waterloo in 1815. The ones he listed had a blank front, tho.

OP
OP
Dig This

Dig This

Dec 26, 2005
western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Tecumseh said:
The Seeker said:
fortbball9 said:
Reply in What is it,

fortbball9

john

The phone number is on the site. They might be able to help identify it.

FWIW, I did find a couple of WELLINGTON buttons on ebay, and the seller wrote that British officers wore these to commemorate Wellington's victory at Waterloo in 1815. The ones he listed had a blank front, tho.

Seeker sent to W&ET magazine to someone he knows and they cannot identify yet, 1812 era and British. The funny part is nothing coming up on searches for Back stamps of wellington, the search goes on

OP
OP
Dig This

Dig This

Dec 26, 2005
western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
sent information to British button collectors, I cannot believe that this is so hard to identify hpoefully they can help

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
I think the button says Wellington. I found one last season here in Indiana. Did some research and the only thing we could find was the buttons that commemerate the Battle of Waterloo. No front pattern on mine though. Just the backmark. Goodluck on more research, but that is half the fun right? LOL.....I like yours better by the way! Nice digs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread