am i wasting my time..

Ralphw

May 26, 2003
long island ny
Detector(s) used
white's dfx Bounty hunter landstar
Upvote 0
Try it, what do you have to loose? When you get a chance, stop by a dealer and see what they have in relation to what you want to use it for and what you would gain from it. Then see if the price of the detector is in your budget and are the gains worth it for you.

the thing is I don't know if i'm missing anything or not... havent gotten 1 signal from wet sand....

OK, OK, I'll tell him Max.

Your Bounty Hunter is a land detector.......period. It can not handle the wet saltwater sand and black sand together being a dry land detector. Your lucky it didn't fall apart on you on the way back to the car. Saltwater spray can mess up a detector that is not made for the water.

You are going to have to invest in getting a true water detector with a saltwater mode. The best is a Excalibur 1000 or a Sov GT like Max uses to find all the gold. Max's Sov is a land version of the Excal that he has mounted in a waterproof box and uses a 15" WOT coil for even more depth and coverage.

Another fine detector is the Tiger Shark by Tesoro, it has a saltwater mode. There is also the Beach Hunter ID, Fisher 1280 and CZ20. Pulse Induction detectors are also very deep but have almost no discrimination.

Contact Tony at tcmetaldetectors.com for a good deal.

Good Luck.
Sandman

All water detectors will work in the parks, but most of them don't have a pinpoint mode since it isn't needed in the water or sand as we use scoops. The Sov GT is a land detector with a pinpoint mode that will work well in grass. The only other one that has a pinpoint mode is the CZ20. With ones that don't have this mode, you can do pretty well by just raising the coil and moving it slow in an X. With the DD coils the target is just off the tip of the coil.

Your really better off to have at least two detectors or more for different types of hunting you may want to do. Think of them as different tools for different jobs.

ok been looking at some of the beach detectors...

1: the tiger shark..... does it have a speaker or do you always have to use the headphones.. I couldn't tell from the ad.

2: Sea Hunter Mark II..... same question headphones?

the garrett GTP 1350 1500 and 2500 were listed under beach but they don't seem to be ?

The Tiger Shark has no speaker only heaphones that are very good. I have the Tiger Shark and love it, But as Sandman says you may want two MD's one for water another for land. The next MD that I'll buy will be the Minelab Excalibur 1000 for in the water. Cost:

Tiger Shark $725.00
Minelab $1,250.00
The Tiger Shark is a great MD!

here it is ralph

" Time is the only thing you never get back, why waste time using a cheap machine when you can have more fun and recover more with a better detector. "

now

where do u think u are going to hunt 85% of your time??? and if some of this will be near or in the water

I figured 75% land so I went with a dfx,,, I think sand shark is next ;D ;D ;D

then the divorce in that order...lol

Good choice on the DFX.
I love mine and it is very good at the beach wet or dry.
Just don't get the electronics wet!
I do a lot of beach hunting so I have an EXCAL 1000 that I use exclusively for that purpose and use the DFX for all my inland hunts.
The DFX is a very technical machine and is capable of a bunch of tweaking so take the time to learn it and you will raise its performance level a lot.
Good luck to ya.
DR

so far all i have done is use the first 3 programs and put the preamp from 2 to 3 a couple times it seems to go deeper that way. but yes I'm happy, I have a pile of junk I cleaned from my yard that my old one didn't even touch.

I was just curious, did you dry sticking a quarter one inch in the sand and see if you get a signal???? I have the lonestar and have found coins right on the edge of the water. I know its different than the landstar.

tw656 said:
I was just curious, did you dry sticking a quarter one inch in the sand and see if you get a signal???? I have the lonestar and have found coins right on the edge of the water.
Ditto on the question and "me too" on the statement.
Maybe one day i'll be able to afford a "real detector" so I can be a big boy too. ::) ::) ::)

to be honest ... i think, i did and i think it found them,

with the bounty hunter you mean?

Yeah, with the BH. I agree the BH is a land detector and not made for the beach. I just don't like people who can afford $1000.00 machines coming on here talking BS about BH's, because that's all I can afford, for now I have no choice but to use it, which by the way it has paid for itself more than once. Comments like "Your lucky it didn't fall apart on you on the way back to the car" are just plain childish and uncalled for as far as i'm concerned. Some of us can't afford the luxury of a top of the line machine. I can catch as many fish with a zebco 202 than I can with a shimano stella.

diggummup said:
Yeah, with the BH. I agree the BH is a land detector and not made for the beach. I just don't like people who can afford $1000.00 machines coming on here talking BS about BH's, because that's all I can afford, for now I have no choice but to use it, which by the way it has paid for itself more than once. Comments like "Your lucky it didn't fall apart on you on the way back to the car" are just plain childish and uncalled for as far as i'm concerned. Some of us can't afford the luxury of a top of the line machine. I can catch as many fish with a zebco 202 than I can with a shimano stella.

I never badmouthed the BH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used it for 10 years. just so happens I had some luck and did a job that paid very well...

I think its a great detector for the money, i had some awesome finds with it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back