Amazing Beginner Luck

Cougar729

Apr 8, 2013
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've recently gotten hooked into coin collecting and came across this coin roll hunting. I had honestly never heard of the practice but after reading many of everyone's posts I decided to get a few rolls and try my luck.

I decided to focus on half dollars, have a couple of silvers in my collection already and thought I might be able to find some more. My first $100 didn't turn up anything, but I enjoyed the search so I traded those in and bought another $100. That set turned up my first 40%, a 1966. I also saved a 2006.

I traded those in and walked across the street to another bank I hadn't yet been to, it was right before they closed. The teller said they had a few left so he got me another $100 worth. He said he had 3 more rolls and I told him that I would take those too. I'm sure glad I did. When I got to the car I noticed 12 of the rolls had 40% stamped on the side and the other roll said 90%.

I had read just earlier on this site that some people liked to write on their searched rolls especially if they had a teller who sniped their rolls first.

Once I got home I opened all 13 rolls and each and ever coin was a winner. The breakdown was 20- 1964 90% and 240- 1965-1969 40%.

Now that my pulse has finally returned to normal, I'm sitting back wondering how anyone would believe me, especially as this is my first post, So here are a couple of pics of what I have found.

I feel very fortunate and lucky to have found so much so early, and know that I may have very long droughts...this will keep me going.

One thing I do wonder about is what to do with all these. I love collecting coins, but wonder if I should keep them all? Sell to a dealer? Sell on ebay? Interested to hear from some of you on your ideas for me!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 434
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 450
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 380
Upvote 0

kaniele

Tenderfoot
Mar 23, 2013
Orlando, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beats my beginners luck.....

had 5 rolls - 3 40%er and 2 90%s (1 Walking Liberties, and 1 Franklins)

hope the luck holds

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh ya - DANG one of if not the best finds I've seen
Congrats

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
GOOD LORD. I won't find that much this YEAR. Congrats. My heart rate would have been pumping if I had seen "40% 65-70" stamped on the rolls at the counter. Always amazed at how little some tellers know. Any 1970 D's? :icon_farao:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've recently gotten hooked into coin collecting and came across this coin roll hunting. I had honestly never heard of the practice but after reading many of everyone's posts I decided to get a few rolls and try my luck.

I decided to focus on half dollars, have a couple of silvers in my collection already and thought I might be able to find some more. My first $100 didn't turn up anything, but I enjoyed the search so I traded those in and bought another $100. That set turned up my first 40%, a 1966. I also saved a 2006.

I traded those in and walked across the street to another bank I hadn't yet been to, it was right before they closed. The teller said they had a few left so he got me another $100 worth. He said he had 3 more rolls and I told him that I would take those too. I'm sure glad I did. When I got to the car I noticed 12 of the rolls had 40% stamped on the side and the other roll said 90%.

I had read just earlier on this site that some people liked to write on their searched rolls especially if they had a teller who sniped their rolls first.

Once I got home I opened all 13 rolls and each and ever coin was a winner. The breakdown was 20- 1964 90% and 240- 1965-1969 40%.

Now that my pulse has finally returned to normal, I'm sitting back wondering how anyone would believe me, especially as this is my first post, So here are a couple of pics of what I have found.

I feel very fortunate and lucky to have found so much so early, and know that I may have very long droughts...this will keep me going.

One thing I do wonder about is what to do with all these. I love collecting coins, but wonder if I should keep them all? Sell to a dealer? Sell on ebay? Interested to hear from some of you on your ideas for me!

Very nice score! :icon_thumright:

As for what to do with them, thats up to you. Essentially what you have found is a big ol' heaping pile of silver bullion. None of it will most likely ever have any numismatic value in your lifetime. It will be "worth" what the silver is worth. If you think the price of silver will rise in the future, it would make very good sense to hold onto it and try to accumulate more. If you think the price will fall, it makes perfect sense to sell it all immediately. Personally, right now I'm not anywhere near selling.

I will add this as well - when I first stated to CRH, I was "just a coin collector." I hoped to find enough silver (especially those ugly 40% halves) to parlay it into some of the old U.S. gold coins that have eluded my metal detector all these years. I liked coins and knew I would enjoy searching rolls, but I had no intention of hoarding silver. Then a funny thing happened. As I began to amass a little stash of silver, the price of silver (which I was now tracking daily, if not multiple times daily) kept going up. Pretty soon I had enough 40%ers to swap for a $5 gold coin at my LCS. I didn't sell. Awhile later, the price was still rising and I had enough to swap for the one single coin I've always most coveted - the St. Gaudens $20 double eagle. I didn't sell. Now I have enough to swap for several gold coins...and I haven't sold the first coin. Those 40%ers aren't nearly as ugly as they were when I started. Now they're beautiful and I have absolutely no desire at all to sell any of them. I also said I was going to sell some 40%ers when I could get $5 each for them - which seemed impossible when I first started as I remember when a 40%er wasn't even a "keeper". Not only did I not do that, I didn't sell when I could have gotten $7 each for them.

This hobby is addictive and can change your perspectives. You have been warned. :laughing7:

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice score man, I'm pumped just reading about it! keep searching and you'll hit it big again, it just may take awhile! truly epic score, bigger than any I've ever found.

Eric Wilson

Mar 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score and inspiring to boot. As to whether or not to sell- hard to say? Can you reinvest the money more profitably? How would you feel if the price of silver dropped again? I don't really think it will but you never know. My best friend had over a thousand ounces in 79 or 80 when silver went to 50 bucks an ounce because of the Hunt brothers. His basis was only a few thou s bucks so stood to make almost 50k by selling it all. I told him sell half and speculate with the other half. He said no way it's going to a hundred at least. Within about a week I think, the bottom dropped out and price fell to 4 or 5 dollars an ounce maybe lower. For all I know he's still holding it waiting for it to hit a 100. Anyway, super cool find.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing score!! Do why you want w/them. If u want to build a hoard, save them. If you like collector coins, sell or trade them for something you've always wanted.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Sweet cull of silver. Congratulations on your beginner luck. Now as far as what to do with them? If you need a tiller, I think I know someone who might be interested.

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you just here the fight breaking out at the home of the folk where those coins came from.

Wife to Husband
Dear I hope you don't mind but I cashed in those old half dollars you had in the closet so I could get next book in Hunger Games series book for the kids. Hope you don't mind. They were just collecting dust anyways.
Husband to wife
This is the last straw last month it was my rolls of silver quarter now my half dollars. I want a divorce.

Amazing Find!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions