Amazing Beginner Luck

Cougar729

Apr 8, 2013
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've recently gotten hooked into coin collecting and came across this coin roll hunting. I had honestly never heard of the practice but after reading many of everyone's posts I decided to get a few rolls and try my luck.

I decided to focus on half dollars, have a couple of silvers in my collection already and thought I might be able to find some more. My first $100 didn't turn up anything, but I enjoyed the search so I traded those in and bought another $100. That set turned up my first 40%, a 1966. I also saved a 2006.

I traded those in and walked across the street to another bank I hadn't yet been to, it was right before they closed. The teller said they had a few left so he got me another $100 worth. He said he had 3 more rolls and I told him that I would take those too. I'm sure glad I did. When I got to the car I noticed 12 of the rolls had 40% stamped on the side and the other roll said 90%.

I had read just earlier on this site that some people liked to write on their searched rolls especially if they had a teller who sniped their rolls first.

Once I got home I opened all 13 rolls and each and ever coin was a winner. The breakdown was 20- 1964 90% and 240- 1965-1969 40%.

Now that my pulse has finally returned to normal, I'm sitting back wondering how anyone would believe me, especially as this is my first post, So here are a couple of pics of what I have found.

I feel very fortunate and lucky to have found so much so early, and know that I may have very long droughts...this will keep me going.

One thing I do wonder about is what to do with all these. I love collecting coins, but wonder if I should keep them all? Sell to a dealer? Sell on ebay? Interested to hear from some of you on your ideas for me!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 434
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 450
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 380
Upvote 0

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
after getting robbed i put everything in the safe deposit box at the bank. 30 bucks a year gets me a decent size box - not that its not already full.

That is some INCREDIBLE luck! I hope it sticks with you, your posts will be the stuff of legend. I would keep that bank in my back pocket and check it thrice weekly. Make sure the tellers know you and save for you. Evidently somebody doesn't know what to dump and what to keep and that is their bank of choice.

good luck to you and happy hunting, its a heck of a hobby when you get bit that hard

Sawyer

Jan 25, 2013
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I know why I don't have any luck, you got it all! Grat score!

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends on what you want.

Some people prefer to have the cash over the silver (although, silver prices are pretty low right now...) while others prefer to hold silver in more pure formats such as .999 bars/rounds or silver eagles, while still others trade 40%ers for 90%ers. Others might try trading a couple rolls for some gold coins (a couple rolls of 40%ers will buy you a half sovereign), still others prefer to buy better collector coins (trading in 40%ers for high-grade Morgans or key-date coins), others just prefer to avoid taking a loss in net silver and keep them as 40%ers.

No one can predict what the market will do nor can anyone say what is the best thing for you to do. Myself I've been selling my 40%ers and buying silver items with higher resale values than scrap, for example I'll trade in a roll of 40%ers for $75-90 and buy about 100 grams of better sterling silver jewellery and flatware and foreign coins and then sell those pieces of jewellery/coins on eBay and make a profit on them over the bullion price.

OP
OP
Cougar729

Cougar729

Apr 8, 2013
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since first posting this thread, I have dont a lot more reading of this board, and have to consider my score from a couple of days ago nothing short of epic. I hate to brag, but I feel very luck to have found so much so quickly after starting to hunt.

Today I've picked up a box of nickles and box of dimes. I've also searched about 20 other half rolls but nothing. I got my firs box of halves ordered and can pick up next week. So I feel like I've dived in head first to this and hoping to keep my luck going. Will give an update on the box of nickles and dimes tonight if i get through them all.

OP
OP
Cougar729

Cougar729

Apr 8, 2013
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well unfortunaetly my first box of nickles and first box of dimes did not turn up anything... little disappointed since I've seen several others have luck with those... not giving up on them though. I will be getting another box of both soon.

68MUDSTUD

Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If its anything like mine, your second box of dimes will have one. :) good luck!

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since first posting this thread, I have dont a lot more reading of this board, and have to consider my score from a couple of days ago nothing short of epic. I hate to brag, but I feel very luck to have found so much so quickly after starting to hunt.

Today I've picked up a box of nickles and box of dimes. I've also searched about 20 other half rolls but nothing. I got my firs box of halves ordered and can pick up next week. So I feel like I've dived in head first to this and hoping to keep my luck going. Will give an update on the box of nickles and dimes tonight if i get through them all.

Cougar, your score was indeed epic but now you come back down to earth where the skunks live. You will get discouraged. Count on and prepare for it. More big scores will come but it might not be for a long time. Just keep at it and your stash will grow, week by week. HH

marz

Mar 27, 2013
South Texas
Detector(s) used
WHITES M-6 With eclipse 950 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is the best place to find rolls of half dollars any tips are techniques to find theam I live in a small town and around big cities but any time i go to bank they will just have about 10$ worth are lees I did get lucky last week and found one 1964 half

Last edited:

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is the best place to find rolls of half dollars any tips are techniques to find theam I live in a small town and around big cities but any time i go to bank they will just have about 10$ worth are lees I did get lucky last week and found one 1964 half

Make an account at that bank if you have not already and ask if you can have them order you a box or two from the Feds happy hunting!

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Are you serious when you ask this question?

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't give up on the dimes. They usually produce one per box.

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dont know what to say but.........WOW!!!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

There is a Beginner's Guide.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread