Amazing Find!!

josh34

Jul 11, 2006
Hey everyone, here is an unbelievable point I found this morning while sifting river gravel. The asphaultum hafting is still attached, and even more amazing is a piece of the wooden shaft is still present. I'm not sure what to do with it or how to preserve it, i'm leaving it in a cup of water till I get some more info. I'm thinking the wood is the most fragile part and if I let it dry out it might disintegrate. Any suggestions would be appreciated. By the way,this was found in SE Texas. Thanks, Josh

Attachments

• IMG_0860_1.JPG
    IMG_0860_1.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 7,897
  • IMG_0871.JPG
    IMG_0871.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 7,855
  • IMG_0876.JPG
    IMG_0876.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 7,818
  • IMG_0866.JPG
    IMG_0866.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 7,790
  • IMG_0874.JPG
    IMG_0874.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 7,756
Upvote 0

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool find ... I agree that the rarity of this find should place it on the banner ... again congratz on a truly nice find ~ Jimmy

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why isn't this on the banner...everyone click the Report to Moderator link at the bottom of the original post...let's get this up there!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

2bit4reale

Nov 27, 2004
Ocala, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II SL, Whites Treasuremaster PI 3000, Whites Surfmaster PI Pro
Amazing find!!! A BIG congrats!

T

The.Boomer

Totally a no absolutely nothing about arrow heads kinda guy here, and I know you'd probably never sell it. But I gotta ask what you experts would think a museum or private collector would pay for such a rarity ? ???

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Josh,
Keep it wet and contact the University of Texas at Austin archaeology department. They will be able to assist you with preservation. Organics rarely survive so you have a pretty significant find. I'm a former archaeologist and still have some contacts, so let me know if you need any assistance.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find...congrats on the find and the banner. Well deserved.

NJ

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Philvis said:
Josh,
Keep it wet and contact the University of Texas at Austin archaeology department. They will be able to assist you with preservation. Organics rarely survive so you have a pretty significant find. I'm a former archaeologist and still have some contacts, so let me know if you need any assistance.

I second it. :thumbsup:

You have an amazing find there. Contact them for help,at least preserve it for future generations. They might be able to help you and depending on if they have a loan program, you could loan it to them so they could put it on display for others to see. I have seen at several museums where the card with it will say on loan from such and such person. It stays as your property. It's a nice reward to know that others will see your collection.

That is such an incredible find. Congrats for making the banner. You deserve it with such a spectacular find.

HH

O

ohannos

Wow! First time i saw one with asphalt still on it. I wonder if it would be better to keep it in sterilised water?
Super find! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
J

josh34

Jul 11, 2006
Thanks everyone for all the comments and I appreciate you guys putting this on the banner. I'm still blown away by this find,its pretty unbelieveable that this artifact survived for so long. I am trying to contact an archaeologist so I can find a way to preserve it and I'm still keeping it in water. As far as the age goes, I really don't know, my guess would be a archaic point, maybe a Gary. I guess there is no way to be sure without an X-ray, or carbon dating of the wood. I'm trying to handle it as little as possible, but I'm going to take it out and take a few more pics that I will post. Thanks again, Josh

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep it in water as close to the same water as where you got it from.

DON'T put it in distilled water - Deionized water will actually leach things from it's surroundings faster than normal tap water.

If I were you, I'd get a small container, place some gravel from the same river bed in the bottom, then place the tip on top of the gravel so it's "held in place" and then cover the whole thing with the same river water you got it from.

Take it to a good university or museum as soon as you can and see if they can help you with it. I suppose there is the risk that some organization or other will try to "claim" it from you, but it's still worth it to preserve it.

What an amazing artifact - never seen anything like it, in a museum or outside of one! Congratulations!

A

Atlantis0077

Excellent!

Absolutely amazing find. Who knows, there may be another where you found that. Conditions there may be condusive to preservation. I am just amazed that even some of the wood remains. I have heard of finding such things preserved in caves, but never in water. Congrats on making the banner as well.

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
Josh, your point is one of the best finds I have ever seen on Tnet or anywhere else. I am stunned. It is right up there with finding a gold coin but a tad bit better. You could find a million points and never find one like yours. Congrats on the find and the banner.
NJ Marty

Good to see it made Banner, and thank you for showing such a nice find. I dont get to see much from your area. I've seen a few Morhiss points with bits of asphaltum clinging, but nothing like that!!
Thanks for posting that outstanding find!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread